Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 04:13 PM

47 posts, read 52,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAngleDoesn'tSuck View Post
It's crazy how people flee the madness of Cali for a place like Idaho or Montana,
then when they get here, they complain how we should be more like California.

I find the same thing here in Florida send is why we are looking to move and did our research. We actually want what Idaho has to offer. Will it be completely different, absolutely. But that's OK I'm so looking forward to moving to Idaho. W will begin out transition in boise I'm thinking only because my daughter wants to get used to driving in snow going a fairly short distance before moving out to wheret she has a longer and perhaps a more hazardous drive. I can't wait.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 06:57 PM

21 posts, read 29,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAngleDoesn'tSuck View Post
It's crazy how people flee the madness of Cali for a place like Idaho or Montana,
then when they get here, they complain how we should be more like California.

\

Please dont let ID or MT ever become the s**thole california is. I want to get away from this. That is why I am looking at ID and MT.

Old 10-17-2021, 06:21 PM

66 posts, read 81,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetaelon View Post
I moved up to N. Idaho with my family from that place down south and between the insane commute to work and lack of like minded people I find myself wanting to leave N. Idaho. Yes its pretty up here but since I'm not into hunting, fishing nor am I a conservative Christian its just not the place for me. IF checks off the boxes for what were looking for but how are the people?

Are there active secular home-school groups?
How is the racial mix? Its downright odd to see all white faces every day.
How are openly gay people treated? (tells me a lot about the area)
Are there large active LLL groups?
How well are crunchy granola type people accepted? I don't own berks or wear long skirts but we are into organic gardening and healthy living. I'd like to think people are not going to raise their eye brows when they find a hydro/aquaponic garden in my house.
How hard are jobs to find? (white/blue collar type stuff)
What would you say the average rent is for a decent/safe 2 bedroom apt with a sunny yard?
How much is the going rate for a babysitter for an elementary age kid?
Please, can someone explain to me WHY people being "openly gay" is a requirement for someones warm fuzzy feelings about a town? I'm sure they have websites where you can see that in the privacy of your own space.... I personally do not want to see openly heterosexual, gay or otherwise, people exploring the boundaries of their sexuality when I'm out with my family. I think that it would make me uncomfortable to watch that sort of "action" while dining, shopping, sightseeing or exploring the streets and towns of Idaho. Why does someone need to know what sexual preference all the other people are in order to find their place in the world? Not trying to offend anyone.. Serious question.

Old 10-17-2021, 11:06 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,899,572 times
I understand your question. Sexuality is not something that should be overtly offered. It is usually a personal issue that doesn’t need to be shared. That said, it can be a personal issue that should not be discriminated against. Sexuality is not a choice. You are born with it and have no power to change it. Let this be. Stop hating those who have different sexual interest than you might find normal.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 10-17-2021 at 11:22 PM..

Old 10-18-2021, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
I understand your question. Sexuality is not something that should be overtly offered. It is usually a personal issue that doesn’t need to be shared. That said, it can be a personal issue that should not be discriminated against. Sexuality is not a choice. You are born with it and have no power to change it. Let this be. Stop hating those who have different sexual interest than you might find normal.
I never said I hated anyone. I am fully aware that someones sexuality is a derivative/extension of their personality, character and identity. Please do not assume. I asked why people being openly gay is so important to someones decision to live in a particular town/city/county. I feel like until people start treating each other like people and quit hanging onto labels we will fall short. For instance, you immediately attacked me because I asked about it. Did that empower you somehow?

Old 10-18-2021, 03:40 AM

29,219 posts, read 22,393,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vocal1 View Post
I never said I hated anyone. I am fully aware that someones sexuality is a derivative/extension of their personality, character and identity. Please do not assume. I asked why people being openly gay is so important to someones decision to live in a particular town/city/county. I feel like until people start treating each other like people and quit hanging onto labels we will fall short. For instance, you immediately attacked me because I asked about it. Did that empower you somehow?
You shouldn't expect anyone to give you an answer except for the original poster you quoted.
Your question isn't general; it's specific to that one person.

People move to Idaho for lots of reasons that are strange to me. People leave Idaho for reasons just as strange.

Since I'm not them, I don't know who's going on in their minds.

Old 10-18-2021, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
You shouldn't expect anyone to give you an answer except for the original poster you quoted.
Your question isn't general; it's specific to that one person.

People move to Idaho for lots of reasons that are strange to me. People leave Idaho for reasons just as strange.

Since I'm not them, I don't know who's going on in their minds.
Well.... You chimed in right? Thanks for that BTW.

It's a public forum and as such I guess anyone who has an opinion will probably add to the discussion.

Expectation. What I expect and what I actually receive do not always align. I'm okay with that.

The OP posted this over 6 years ago. Not sure they are inclined to review it, so I'll leave it to those who are.

Open displays of homosexuality as a "requirement" for a town to move too. The whole thing has me, as my status says, "scratching my head". No hate, no judgement just curious how we as a community got to this point.

I doubt the gay community sees themselves as entertainment fodder for others to gawk at while they pursue their romantic interests. I could be wrong I guess.

My curiosity and that is all this is:
I have read in other forums, statements such as, "I do not want to live where people are not OPENLY GAY" (actual copy paste). ::: Like that is the bread and butter for happiness to them. It's not just specific to this OP or this thread. It has become a popular thread topic and as such it leaves me "scratching my head".

I can think of many things that I would want in a town, Ice skating, snowmobiling, a fine steak house but in my list this (open homosexual affection) would not be a requirement.

I hope that helps you (and others) understand why I asked the question.

Imagine if your sexual preferences were the "public entertainment" draw for others nationwide. Would that make you feel accepted or would it make you feel objectified?:

Old 10-18-2021, 12:43 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,380,043 times
Quote:
Please, can someone explain to me WHY people being "openly gay" is a requirement for someones warm fuzzy feelings about a town? I'm sure they have websites where you can see that in the privacy of your own space.... I personally do not want to see openly heterosexual, gay or otherwise, people exploring the boundaries of their sexuality when I'm out with my family. I think that it would make me uncomfortable to watch that sort of "action" while dining, shopping, sightseeing or exploring the streets and towns of Idaho. Why does someone need to know what sexual preference all the other people are in order to find their place in the world? Not trying to offend anyone.. Serious question.
How many times can a zombie post be resurrected?

I agree that OP was a sexist, racist, "phobe" maquerading as a liberal/crunchy paragon of "tolerance", but they are long gone from this forum.

Old 10-18-2021, 04:21 PM

60 posts, read 39,060 times
I could offer some insight as I know a few gay people. Your question points out that you are homophobic and intolerant, which also means you're not really trying to find an answer. So it does not warrant a real world response.
Why ask questions? This is not your echo chamber.

Last edited by Theotherdude2; 10-18-2021 at 04:31 PM..

Old 10-18-2021, 05:55 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,265,227 times
Quote:
Your triggered reaction just answered the OP's question from seven years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls