Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 03:12 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,156,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
I have 2 months survival rations and 1 month's worth of wood and shredded tires to run the generator. Have two chanisaws, bobcat and dozer, as well as many spare parts. While I live in an evacuation zone, I will not leave unless its a 4 or greater and maybe not even then. Probably better to just get blown away instead of running and not being able to get back home. Once I was not able to return home by US-1 but I got in by boat.
Can you post a map showing your general area and elevation? You sound like you are ready for the worst, but hopes for the best...

Best of luck...http://bestsmileys.com/weather/1.gif (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 03:16 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,428,360 times
I'm ashamed to say not as much as I should have done.

I have all the flashlights in ONE place, I have the candles and candle holders all in one place as well as the batteries so they are easily accessible.

BUT thats about it for me.

Of course I still have my stash of bungy cords and tarps in the garage as well as 5, 5 gallon gas cans should the need arise. I also still have the corded phones to hand should there be no power to make those wonderful cordless phones work.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:51 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,452,069 times
Lindsey please do not use the candles as your light source. I can not stress that enough.

DO NOT USE CANDLES AS YOUR LIGHT SOURCE, THEY CAN CAUSE FIRES. PLEASE BUY CAMPING LANTERNS INSTEAD.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
We went for 16 days without power twice in '04, it was a nightmare, we are NOT gonna let that happen again!
I got so sick of NO power, I went to Disney and stayed in a hotel for a few days until the power was turned back on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Lindsey please do not use the candles as your light source. I can not stress that enough.

DO NOT USE CANDLES AS YOUR LIGHT SOURCE, THEY CAN CAUSE FIRES. PLEASE BUY CAMPING LANTERNS INSTEAD.
We have a camping lantern BUT I always use candles, I make sure they are safe, on surfaces that will not burn and over tile. I burn them on pretty regularly even when we have power.

Old 06-19-2008, 11:58 AM

ok

Old 06-20-2008, 10:16 AM

I have so many candle holders, I can light up the house like its normal, I even have sconces on the walls that I have used in the past.

My daughter gets nervous if we are without electricity, she hates being in the dark.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:40 PM

1,050 posts, read 1,930,127 times
how do you find out if you are in an evacuation zone?

Old 06-24-2008, 10:59 AM

The county you live in has a map. If you do a search online you should be able to find it.
Also a local tv station usually puts a hurricane preperation guide which you can usually find at the grocery store. There is usually a map inside.

This link is for Miami-Dade County Evacuations. FYI, people in Mobile Homes located outside of the evacuation areas are always included in the first stage of evacuation regardless of location. Services Near You

Old 06-24-2008, 11:38 AM

392 posts, read 1,260,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero View Post
how do you find out if you are in an evacuation zone?
Do a web search for the Emergency Management Office for the county you live in. They should have maps posted with evacuation zones.

Look to see online also if one of the TV stations in the area you live in have a hurricane section and they will probably have evacuation maps listed also.

What county do you live in.... Maybe we can guide you further

Old 06-24-2008, 11:44 AM

604 posts, read 4,620,775 times
DH just finished installing shutters last night! Hopefully we'll never need them, but we like the peace of mind!

I save 2 liter bottles to fill up with water and freeze. They can take days to defrost and was able to turn generators off at night last time and keep fridge cold w/ those.

we've been thru 3 hurricanes and a total of 4 weeks w/out power so we feel confident to know what to expect. This year I upgraded a few things:

Small weather radio (not the boom box that took 8 batteries an hour to operate)
extra propane for the camping stove
crank flashlights
dozen power cords
powered milk (kids can't tell difference)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes