Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2024, 11:33 AM

11,090 posts, read 6,972,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
I'd like to hear this - please list the restaurants.

If you say Rosey's, let's just end this discussion now.
To be honest, I lived in a small town outside Huntsville and do not have the budget for eating out in fine restaurants. However, just driving around Huntsville it was clear to me that there are nice places to eat in every section of Huntsville.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldiver View Post
Multiple good restaurants downtown on or around the square and several at Bridge Street.
Exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2024, 12:29 PM

295 posts, read 239,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
I'd like to hear this - please list the restaurants.

If you say Rosey's, let's just end this discussion now.
The problem is that everyone's definition of good restaurants is different. Some folks go to places and pay big money for a 4 square inch piece of meat and 3 string beans and think it's wonderful. I like to go to places and get more for my money, like meat+3 places that are home cooking and outstanding taste. But to name some other places, Tom Brown's and Conners for steaks (and a new steak place opening up in Clift Farms), I also found Char pretty good. As someone else said there are a number of places around the square that I haven't been to but my daughter raves about. For Italian the best place in my opinion is Luigi's in Madison on 72. I like to sometimes stuff myself at Texas de Brazil. There's a Mexican place on Brown's Ferry (Barrio) that I'll be trying sometime soon, but have heard good things about. Sure, there aren't the variety of places like in DC or other larger cities (like the prime rib place I went to in DC, can't remember the name), but I would rather miss out on those and not have to live there. And I know I'm only scratching the surface, because I'm a guy that hates to dress up to eat, if I can't go in my jeans I really don't want to go.

Old 04-19-2024, 01:08 PM

11,090 posts, read 6,972,478 times
I tend to remember places that cook the food very well. My friend and I are dog park people so we tried Furniture Factory Bar & Grill around the corner. The steak we got was very, very good. We complimented the cook. It's a rowdy noisy place on Th-Fri-Sat but we still went back a couple more times for the steak special. I rather think it is not the kind of place the OP has in mind, though. In the small town where I lived I was able to get high quality Mexican food from people who'd emigrated from Mexico 20 years prior. As a Californian it was much appreciated, and that was the place I always went when I had a hankering for Mexican food. There was another place I went that unfortunately closed during Covid. It was out on Highway 72 on the way to Scottsboro. O Bryans Family Steakhouse. Catfish plate. Southern cooking. Very good, too bad it closed. But like dwhisent stated, what constitutes good varies widely from person to person. I would suggest embracing some Southern cooking while OP is living there. (Edit: the restaurant is called Oh! Bryans and there's a location still open in Hartselle, way out of the way of Huntsville.)

Last edited by pathrunner; 04-19-2024 at 01:24 PM..

Old 04-20-2024, 09:21 AM

112 posts, read 97,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhisent View Post
The problem is that everyone's definition of good restaurants is different. Some folks go to places and pay big money for a 4 square inch piece of meat and 3 string beans and think it's wonderful. I like to go to places and get more for my money, like meat+3 places that are home cooking and outstanding taste. But to name some other places, Tom Brown's and Conners for steaks (and a new steak place opening up in Clift Farms), I also found Char pretty good. As someone else said there are a number of places around the square that I haven't been to but my daughter raves about. For Italian the best place in my opinion is Luigi's in Madison on 72. I like to sometimes stuff myself at Texas de Brazil. There's a Mexican place on Brown's Ferry (Barrio) that I'll be trying sometime soon, but have heard good things about. Sure, there aren't the variety of places like in DC or other larger cities (like the prime rib place I went to in DC, can't remember the name), but I would rather miss out on those and not have to live there. And I know I'm only scratching the surface, because I'm a guy that hates to dress up to eat, if I can't go in my jeans I really don't want to go.
I live north of town and west of Meridianville (technically Toney). On the 'more for your money' type discussion and if you don't mind buffets, I still like Mildred's in Ardmore (lunch tea included with buffet price weekdays) and Marvin's in Fayetteville (drink NOT included), even though both of their prices have increased (Thurs/Fri prices may be higher than Mon-Wed) with one caveat... don't eat the dregs of what's in the chicken pan (or pork chop, or chicken fried steak), just wait until fresh is brought out. Being a senior on a fixed income, I will be trying Park City Cafe's breakfast buffet one Wednesday morning when I'm headed that way anyway. Wednesday is Senior day for all three restaurants is $1 off the buffet price. All owned (so I'm told) by Daniel Holt.
All three restaurants normally have their buffet 'menu' on their FB pages.

Last edited by tn_native; 04-20-2024 at 09:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area