Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2023, 08:41 AM

22,150 posts, read 13,180,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
A judge struck down Alabama's panhandling laws back in March. I told him I didn't carry cash and he replied he has "Cashapp" and I could send him a few bucks that way. lol I don't use any of those apps and that is what I told him and he went on his way but I found that sort of amusing.
Obama appointee, no doubt. So panhandler has a pricey "smart" phone; how poor can he be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2023, 11:01 AM

646 posts, read 709,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1502 View Post
The City of Huntsville cleared out one homeless camp located on Derrick St. between Clinton and Holmes Avenue because of a malaria outbreak.

As long as there is a population in greater North Alabama with addictions (particularly Crystal Methamphetamine), Huntsville will have a significant homeless population.

The city also greatly thinned out the woods adjacent to the new cyber school at Wynn and Bradford, effectively clearing out the camp in those woods. The camp was not large, though.

Old 12-12-2023, 12:58 PM

44 posts, read 35,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldiver View Post
The city also greatly thinned out the woods adjacent to the new cyber school at Wynn and Bradford, effectively clearing out the camp in those woods. The camp was not large, though.
Was that why, I assumed it was for parking lot expansion/future proofing the land for school expansion.
I guess it could have been a "kill two birds with one stone" situation.

Old 12-12-2023, 06:23 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,888,969 times
Honestly, the police have more pressing matters than to enforce panhandling laws.

It's not like the panhandlers can pay any ticket they may receive.

Old 12-30-2023, 01:49 PM

646 posts, read 709,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriscoEGS View Post
Was that why, I assumed it was for parking lot expansion/future proofing the land for school expansion.
I guess it could have been a "kill two birds with one stone" situation.

Much of the wooded area was outright cleared for parking and other things.

The rest (mostly adjacent to the Northrop Grumman facility) was thinned out and the brush was cleared out completely. So any homeless camp in that area would be very visible. Don't know if that was the point or not.

Old 12-31-2023, 08:43 PM

73,188 posts, read 62,892,994 times
One thing I've noticed about homelessness in the Atlanta area and here in Huntsville, it can easily be hidden. Atlanta has alot of tree coverage. So does Huntsville. I lived in the suburbs of Atlanta and it wasn't uncommon for some homeless people to set up came in the woods. When I moved to the Huntsville area, I saw panhandlers. However, the first time I saw a homeless camp, it was tucked away in a wooded area.

Old 12-31-2023, 10:24 PM

A wooded area near some extended-stay hotels here was recently cleared out, we assume because it was being inhabited by "spillover." It's a shame for the woodland creatures and birds who also made their homes there. The innocent always suffer!

Old 01-01-2024, 06:25 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,138,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
One thing I've noticed about homelessness in the Atlanta area and here in Huntsville, it can easily be hidden. Atlanta has alot of tree coverage. So does Huntsville. I lived in the suburbs of Atlanta and it wasn't uncommon for some homeless people to set up came in the woods. When I moved to the Huntsville area, I saw panhandlers. However, the first time I saw a homeless camp, it was tucked away in a wooded area.
The “newly relocated homeless camp” is along 255/research, along the east side, north of guitar center/Best Buy/new jump park, etc. it’s before you get to the Huntsville tractor dealer (orange one) and dozens of tents are visible. Somebody owns that property, maybe the homeless are paying rent.

It appears the “center of gravity” for the homeless in western Huntsville is Mid city.

Old 01-02-2024, 06:34 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,863,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
Honestly, the police have more pressing matters than to enforce panhandling laws.

It's not like the panhandlers can pay any ticket they may receive.
Yes such as patrolling the streets watching for someone with their cell phone held to their ear while driving. There is some crazy things going on this world that we need the police focused on. lol

Seriously though, you are right. We have plenty of more important things for the police to be doing rather than trying to enforce some of these politically motivated, make the people feel warm and fuzzy laws they have passed.

Old 01-02-2024, 09:40 AM

Distracted driving is a major cause of accidents now; I'd consider stopping idiots from staring at, scrolling on, and even TEXTING on their phones while driving to be pretty important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area