Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 08:37 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,988,990 times

Advertisements

joke... right
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 06:28 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,039,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
Silk, I have to disagree. This award has to do with offerings that are available to students for activties, i.e. things to do. I think it speaks highly of Marshall and Huntington that they are one of the top 5 schools in things to do for students. And from all accounts, this was "a real nationwide contest." The other top schools were Boston University, Central Michigan University, Ohio State University and Roanoke College. They received nearly 13,000 nominations from 4,500 institutions. That doesn't sound like it was just from the Tri-state region or anything.

And CT, you continue to exhibit poor reading comprehension. Here's a quote from the article " Most of the nominations came from entertainers who felt like they were treated well by programming boards and the campuses in general, he said." Last time I checked, I'm not in the entertainment industry.

Tim
Oh, I don't know Tim, ... I think I'd vote for you.

You guys need to lighten up a little bit. No need to be defensive about everything. Personally I think it is wonderful that Marshall is being considered for an award. Look out Chippawas, get out of the way Maroons, here comes the Herd!

Do you have a link? I'd be glad to cast a vote for Marshall.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:19 AM

1,946 posts, read 4,071,336 times
I wasn't taking a whiz on Huntington. I spend a lot of time there. I also spend a lot of time doing fundraising projects for Marshall athletics, so i know a little about what i'm talking about when i say that student participation isn't very high at the school. Look at the student turnout at basketball games. I go to every Marshall home football and basketball game, and i can tell you the student turnout isn't so low because they have so many other options on the campus.

What is this contest really about? Best campus? Does it mean Marshall has the prettiest campus or the most activities on campus? Who are these entertainers that are boasting about Marshall so much? I think it's great Marshall is up for this nomination, but what is the true definition of this contest?

Old 01-29-2009, 07:58 AM

I even read the article again this morning. This is a quote from the article: "I think if Marshall University can say that we have the best programming board in the country, that will help recruitment,"

Best programming board? What's that have to do with the best campus in the country?

Who are these entertainers voting in this contest? It's still all really vague.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
I wasn't taking a whiz on Huntington. I spend a lot of time there. I also spend a lot of time doing fundraising projects for Marshall athletics, so i know a little about what i'm talking about when i say that student participation isn't very high at the school. Look at the student turnout at basketball games. I go to every Marshall home football and basketball game, and i can tell you the student turnout isn't so low because they have so many other options on the campus.

What is this contest really about? Best campus? Does it mean Marshall has the prettiest campus or the most activities on campus? Who are these entertainers that are boasting about Marshall so much? I think it's great Marshall is up for this nomination, but what is the true definition of this contest?
I'm a Marshall alumnus, and agree with what you are saying. And, not that Marshall's campus is bad... it isn't, but in my opinion the "prettiest" campuses I have seen (and I have seen a bunch of them) are West Point, Syracuse, Virginia Tech, and Boston College, and believe me I have no love for the last two. WVU has a pretty downtown campus, and West Virginia State also has a nice campus with a legendary water tower.

Now, it is entirely possible that the actors for the "We Are Marshall" movie were very well treated at Marshall. If that is the criteria, then it could well be an accurate depiction. Anyway, kudos to Marshall for being nominated.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:52 PM

Yes, Kudos. Sorry for my rant earlier. Didn't mean to upset anyone.

Old 01-29-2009, 03:12 PM

4,952 posts, read 8,947,670 times
Silk you didn't upset me so don't think that you did. I agree with you that the nomination is vague in terms of the "what" part of the award. I did notice the accolades for the programming board but isn't that who helps determine things to do at MU? And whether students attend the activities well or not, at least the opportunity is there. Whole point of the original post was to recognize MU for being nominated for the award. They must be doing something right.

Here's the link for you CT. http://www.campusactivitiesmagazine.com/awards (broken link)

Tim

Old 01-29-2009, 06:47 PM

Kudos TB

Old 01-29-2009, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
Silk you didn't upset me so don't think that you did. I agree with you that the nomination is vague in terms of the "what" part of the award. I did notice the accolades for the programming board but isn't that who helps determine things to do at MU? And whether students attend the activities well or not, at least the opportunity is there. Whole point of the original post was to recognize MU for being nominated for the award. They must be doing something right.

Here's the link for you CT. http://www.campusactivitiesmagazine.com/awards (broken link)

Tim
I think it's pretty clear it was the performers, just as you said. They did spend a lot of time in Huntington, so maybe that's it. Here's hoping Marshall can win the contest.

Old 03-01-2009, 01:54 PM

4,952 posts, read 8,947,670 times
Default Marshall Looks to start a new S.T.E.M. High School in Huntington

Marshall University is looking to start a new Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math High School here in Huntington. The model is mostly based on the Metro Early College High School in Columbus that was set up by OSU. It allows students to progress at their own spped but won't let them proceed to the next level until they receive an A in the studies. It is supposed to be up and running in the next 3 years. Sounds like a good idea to hold the students to a new standard and to recognize individual differences, something many public schools have gotten away from. Here are the links.

Tim

New approach sought for high school - The Herald Dispatch

Legislation could open door for new school - The Herald Dispatch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington