Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 07:40 AM

1,336 posts, read 6,453,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Which was the High School in Cy Fair that was ranked one of the most dangerous/or had the most drugs in the country a few years back? It was even on a primetime news program on "persistantly" dangerous high schools.
Because of some statistical category about kids caught with prescription drugs on campus. It was somewhat misleading.

http://www.misunderestimation.com/in...e-high-school/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 07:51 AM

6 posts, read 27,766 times
I have been over there a couple of times to visit and it seems a lot better than the school I was teaching at in aldine isd.

Old 08-24-2009, 12:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,196 times
I am not trying to be harsh here, but querazy, it's "ridiculous". I fear to ask what grade you teach.

Old 05-15-2010, 02:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,767 times
Well all i can help you with is that i went to cyfair and moved to the conroe school area. conroe isd will completely stop your kids education and focus on taks, and not all class rooms in the cyfair district are open if your child is having problems they will take the time with you child and help him/her personally. i'm a child currently going to conroe high and i can't stand how its run here, so i'm moving back to cy-fair, the teacher in the cy-fair district care more about the child then the scores they get on a task.

Old 05-15-2010, 06:19 PM

192 posts, read 505,663 times
I believe only the elementary schools are "open concept" at Cy-Fair.

I went to Cy-Fair ISD close to a dozen years ago, and had a good experience. I went to Emmott, Bang, Campbell, Cook, & Jersey Village. They accelerated me when needed, had good course offerings (AP Computer Science, Physics, Chemistry, English, Biology, History, Spanish, etc), and I only vaguely remember standardized testing (but this may have been before TAKS).

Old 05-15-2010, 11:00 PM

262 posts, read 651,273 times
ALL schools are TAKS-focused. Even if they don't say "TAKS" out loud, you can rest assured that darn test is the driving force behind curriculum "updates" and other fun stuff. You can thank No Child Left Behind for that. That being said, if the school isn't concerned about TAKS, I would be worried. The TAKS is more difficult than the old test (TAAS), but it's still looked at as a "minimum basic skills test"... and if your kids (as a teacher, or as a parent) aren't passing it, there is a problem.

Old 05-16-2010, 10:50 AM

1,336 posts, read 6,453,757 times
My kids are at Hamilton elementary in CFISD. It is top-notch. One of the best in the State.

The Hamilton El. - Hamilton Middle - Cy-Fair HS feeder is very desirable as is the Sampson El. - Goodson Middle - Cy-Woods HS feeder.

Old 05-13-2024, 03:35 PM

1 posts, read 45 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by querazy View Post
My family could possilby be moving to cy-fair area. We are currently in The Woodlands. Con anyone give any comparison of tyhe two. We just moved here in august. We have not had a good experience with an elementary school in Conroe. How is Cy-fair I.S.D.
I just noticed this question was in 2009.
But, I wanted to add my comment as it directly relates to The Woodlands HS and moving to Cy-Fair.
My daughter attended the Woodlands for 3 years…in Conroe ISD for 5

We recently moved from The Woodlands to a home in Champions. She started school at Cy-Creek ISD the last month of school. She only went a few days to Cy-Creek. Cy-Creek is a very drastic change from The Woodlands. There are many reasons why my daughter couldn’t adjust to Cy-Creek, however two are what concerned me the most that she is having to go live with her father for the last 2 weeks of school.

One being that the entry into the cafeteria is gated and is shut and locked down while the students are eating lunch. A staff member stands by the gate. My daughter first felt like she was being locked in the lunchroom as a new female student and she had already been pushed by a boy in the hall to see if she would react, now she’s enclosed in a room with hundreds of students as if she’s in a prison. The last day she attended was a day she took a picture of students waiting at the gate for the teacher to return to the gate to unlock it after the bell rang. There was no way for the students to exit. As many kids that are locked together any student could be surrounded by other students and be harmed until the staff member returned and eventually got the gate open to burst through a crowd of students who aren’t going to just spread open. It also locks the students in a space with equipment that could catch fire, ie. Stoves, oven, gas. My daughter would have panick attacks when the gate came down as she was not accustomed to being locked in like a prisoner or animal for whatever reason the school decided the gates needed to be locked, my daughter didn’t transfer to a new public school to now feel unsafe and locked down. She did nothing to feel like she needed to be locked in.
Second a lot of teachers told her they applied at Tge Woodlands HS and were not accepted. On the first day, in a classroom that she was the only white student with a few other girls, the teacher told the class my daughter thought she was better than everyone because she came from The Woodlands. Another day he said my daughter wasn’t ready for Cy-Creek. He said my daughter was scared. It put her in a position to feel like other students could harm her because she thinks she’s better. Then one day her legs fall asleep so she puts them up higher on a desk rail below her. He slams his hands on his desk and yells at her no ma’am, no ma’am! Feet on the ground! Instead of just simply asking or telling her not to put her feet up. Which I guess she was just supposed to let her legs continue to become completely numb?

Overall, the experience with a counselor, and other office staff was a good experience.

But, the problem for me was her safety. And, not having to feel imprisoned with nowhere to run.

Old Today, 10:51 AM

227 posts, read 137,812 times
Both are good but Conroe ISD gets slightly better rankings on Greatschools:

https://www.greatschools.org/texas/c...hool-district/

https://www.greatschools.org/texas/h...hool-district/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston