Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 12:28 PM

18,129 posts, read 25,278,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyRC View Post
I personally prefer the older homes with large lots. New construction looks boring. They all look the same inside and out, and many newer neighborhoods have the same setback from the street, sit on top of each other, and have a small stick in the front yard for a tree.

On the other hand, I would think some people like new construction because they can move in and do nothing. The home has a warranty. Everything is new. No work needed. My wife and I are DIY people, and would prefer to remodel a house ourselves to make it ours. It would be hard for me to walk into a newer house and start demoing it to replace perfectly good stuff just because it didn't match our taste. I'm talking kitchen remodels, bathrooms, or even knocking down walls. There's an older home we are interested in now that we've been debating which wall we would knock down to open up the living space. Plus we want to remodel the kitchen and master bath.
What area are you looking at?
If I was going to do that, I would buy a house on the East side of I-45 across from The Woodlands
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2017, 01:13 PM

204 posts, read 201,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
What area are you looking at?
If I was going to do that, I would buy a house on the East side of I-45 across from The Woodlands
I've been looking in the Champions Forest area, Kingwood, Westbury, and Pearland. Yes I know, we need to narrow it down more. I've also been looking a little further out to find a house with acreage.

Old 09-08-2017, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyRC View Post
I've been looking in the Champions Forest area, Kingwood, Westbury, and Pearland. Yes I know, we need to narrow it down more. I've also been looking a little further out to find a house with acreage.
If you are a fixer upper,
Right now might be an ideal time to buy a house that "barely flooded"

Old 09-08-2017, 07:50 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,831,829 times
Glenbrook Valley got very little damage in Harvey. Sims bayou did not get out of it's banks, but there is some topography in the area, (hills and valleys), and a small handful of houses sitting in swales got some rainwater overflow. Probably less than 2% of the whole neighborhood if that. As for unique, well, here's one featured in this month's Houston House and Home. You can click on the online magazine version, article is on page 44. The one with the round living room.

https://issuu.com/houstonhouseandhom...uhousehome_vir

Another that is pending that curbed picked up https://www.curbed.com/2017/8/1/1607...ry-modern-home

A repeat on that last one via circa old houses https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5oW...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by modster; 09-08-2017 at 09:01 PM..

Old 09-08-2017, 11:15 PM

Also, in the current edition of Houston House and Home, check pages 54 - 56 for other houses in there, although the home tour has been postponed. Seemed a bit tone-deaf to try to do that right now with everything the city is dealing with.

Old 09-08-2017, 11:43 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,523,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modster View Post
Glenbrook Valley got very little damage in Harvey. Sims bayou did not get out of it's banks, but there is some topography in the area, (hills and valleys), and a small handful of houses sitting in swales got some rainwater overflow. Probably less than 2% of the whole neighborhood if that. As for unique, well, here's one featured in this month's Houston House and Home. You can click on the online magazine version, article is on page 44. The one with the round living room.

https://issuu.com/houstonhouseandhom...uhousehome_vir

Another that is pending that curbed picked up https://www.curbed.com/2017/8/1/1607...ry-modern-home

A repeat on that last one via circa old houses
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5oW...ature=youtu.be
That's an interesting house and I also read good reviews about that area. However, schools are only 3-4 out of 10. They are saying there are lots of families with kids...but can those kids succeed in a future life after these schools?

Old 09-09-2017, 05:02 AM

766 posts, read 1,254,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
That's an interesting house and I also read good reviews about that area. However, schools are only 3-4 out of 10. They are saying there are lots of families with kids...but can those kids succeed in a future life after these schools?
Give me a break. Any kid who's motivated and has a good family that reinforces the need for education will succeed anywhere. I went to one of the worst high schools in HISD and now I'm at a great law school with a full scholarship.

Old 09-09-2017, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
I went to one of the worst schools in my city from 7th to 9th grade.
People seem to be impressed when I tell them that I'm an engineer

Old 09-09-2017, 08:38 AM

1,347 posts, read 1,820,807 times
Some people have drive within their core and essentially are born to be successful, but then there's the rest of humanity. Although it would be great if all of our children fell into the former category, we know too well that many of them fall into the latter. For that reason, it's almost always best to get the child into the best school district possible. Sure, they can be successful without a good school district, but it certainly doesn't help their odds. There's also some rare exceptions too though, like Bellaire HS for example, which is so ultra competitive it can hurt a kid's chances at going to a really good university because grades that would normally get you into the top 10% of your graduating class in other districts will barely get you into the top 25% there.

Old 09-09-2017, 09:06 AM

There are people who utilize the local schools, unfortunately GBV is divided up into 3 different elementary schools, Cornelius being one of them, which last I checked was actually ranked pretty well. Park Place wasn't rated bad either. Most of the young professionals I know in there, however, utilize magnet or private school routes.

This is another example though, of how people typically raise issues with that area, issues that may be perfectly legitimate, but ones the area hardly has a monopoly on. People pay a small fortune to live in GOOF for example, parts of which are no closer to downtown than this, or in the Heights for that matter, both wonderful neighborhoods, (and very expensive), but once you get past the select elementary schools, the school quality is not exactly a selling point for them either.

Ultimately if you are looking for good public schools K - 12, who here didn't know already that means either a commute to the burbs, or some serious bank. This is probably not an option for people wanting that, but it could be an option for those without school age children, which there is no shortage of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston