Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 05:46 PM

11 posts, read 41,537 times

Advertisements

I was impressed when I found out how many skyscrapers Houston has. I noticed that a lot of them were built in the 80s and just wondering where all the demand for office space came from. Considering how much land Houston has I'm surprised they didn't built out instead of up, kind of like Phoenix. I hope to visit one day and see all those supertalls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2017, 09:01 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,738,039 times
80s oil boom

Old 05-14-2017, 11:03 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,886,146 times
It has built out as well as up. For the U.S., it is quite a highrise city, with highrises located in several nodes around the city, most notably Downtown, Uptown, Med Center, Greenway, and Energy Corridor. Even The Woodlands, about 30 miles from Downtown, has significant highrises.

Although there are many highrises, it's extremely sprawling like Phoenix or L.A.. Population of the metro is approaching 7 million.

Yes, the 80s oil boom created an associated skyscraper boom, mostly Downtown. Petrochemicals is still a big driver, but the economy has diversified so a lot of skyscrapers are related to other industries. The Med Center alone has as much square footage as some fairly large cities. Same for Uptown, which is just an amazing district if you like highrises.

Old 05-15-2017, 12:07 PM

1,514 posts, read 1,794,027 times
New skyscrapers are becoming less popular in Houston, at least outside of downtown and for high-end multifamily residential.

Midrises are more popular, at least in O&G (I suppose a reflection of construction vs land costs and of the increasing decentralization of business districts in the Houston area?). For example, the new Exxon campus and the updated Shell Energy Corridor campus are both midrises.

Old 05-15-2017, 01:01 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwarnecke View Post
New skyscrapers are becoming less popular in Houston, at least outside of downtown and for high-end multifamily residential.

Midrises are more popular, at least in O&G (I suppose a reflection of construction vs land costs and of the increasing decentralization of business districts in the Houston area?). For example, the new Exxon campus and the updated Shell Energy Corridor campus are both midrises.
From the potential renderings that I've seen, I'd say it's the opposite. Inside the loop and plus the galleria, it's becoming more popular. Look how many have been build the last 5 years.

Old 05-15-2017, 01:21 PM

1,514 posts, read 1,794,027 times
I didn't word it that well...but in my original post, I meant that high-end residental highrises are still very popular. Maybe more popular than ever.

And yes, the recent building boom did yield a few high-rise office buildings downtown (although a tiny fraction of the # of skyscrapers that were built downtown in the 1970s and 1980s).

But there's a strong trend away from skyscrapers for big corporate campuses. Exxon left downtown, and Shell is about to leave downtown, for midrise campuses in outlying business districts. Most of the new office buildings constructed in the Energy Corridor from the 2013-2016 boom years would also be considered midrise, rather than true highrise.

Old 05-15-2017, 01:21 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,908,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonoranDesert View Post
I was impressed when I found out how many skyscrapers Houston has. I noticed that a lot of them were built in the 80s and just wondering where all the demand for office space came from. Considering how much land Houston has I'm surprised they didn't built out instead of up, kind of like Phoenix. I hope to visit one day and see all those supertalls.
Along with the answers already given, Houston is the 4th largest city in America... home to many major energy and oil companies.

Old 05-15-2017, 01:49 PM

5,614 posts, read 4,943,769 times
Back in the 1970s-80s, many high rise office buildings were constructed that were not justified by the market or financial returns. Lending was too loose, and some were built more as tax shelters than to house growing office employment. Houston really ended up with more high rises than it should have had by the mid-1980s.

Now fewer high rises are built on each up-cycle. Plus, it's harder to financially justify office buildings over 30 stories, the construction costs get really high. You have to be sure that tenants will be willing to pay the elevated rents you have to get to make the numbers work.

Old 05-15-2017, 02:35 PM

509 posts, read 735,760 times
IMO, by far the best buildings in our skyline were built in the 80's - frequently Philip Johnson designed and Hines developed towers. Some of the great local buildings designed by Johnson include Pennzoil Place, Transco Tower & adjacent water wall (Williams Tower), Republic Bank Building (Bank of America). I also like the Texaco Heritage Plaza (not a Johnson design) with its Aztec temple on top.

If you want to see some wild (but sadly un-built) plans, look up the crazy designs for the aborted Bank of the Southwest Tower to be built downtown in the early 80's. They had a design competition that yielded some crazy submittals from several big-name architectural firms. http://www.chron.com/news/houston-te...photo-10668980

To me, Houston's economic and architectural glory years were in the 70's and 80's. I doubt we'll ever see anything like it again. All the crazy new buildings seem to be going up in Asia these days.

Last edited by Houston parent; 05-15-2017 at 02:43 PM..

Old 05-15-2017, 08:16 PM

11 posts, read 41,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherguy View Post
It has built out as well as up. For the U.S., it is quite a highrise city, with highrises located in several nodes around the city, most notably Downtown, Uptown, Med Center, Greenway, and Energy Corridor. Even The Woodlands, about 30 miles from Downtown, has significant highrises.

Although there are many highrises, it's extremely sprawling like Phoenix or L.A.. Population of the metro is approaching 7 million.

Yes, the 80s oil boom created an associated skyscraper boom, mostly Downtown. Petrochemicals is still a big driver, but the economy has diversified so a lot of skyscrapers are related to other industries. The Med Center alone has as much square footage as some fairly large cities. Same for Uptown, which is just an amazing district if you like highrises.
Downtown alone is massive, but then when you include all the other high rise clusters it's impressive. I'd be very happy living there among the skyscrapers.

It sprawls out like crazy. I overlayed the urbanized area of Houston with Salt Lake's, and it's amazing how huge Houston is and how small SLC is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston