Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 09:30 AM

2,188 posts, read 3,215,538 times

Advertisements

Another one across from each other at grand parkway and 59

These developers got to fill slots so they don't care unless a city takes control and demands something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 09:38 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,296,719 times
Startup costs are around $50-$100k which is pretty affordable. Also in some cases franchising fee is as low as 35k which is also very affordable as compared to opening a fast food franchise. The markups are high and training requirements are minimal. Anyone can do it. If you can lease a location in strip mall with decent rent it is not that difficult to operate this business model.

Old 02-24-2016, 09:45 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,983,072 times
It takes alot of effort to sell a mattress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOOSIQn450I

Old 02-24-2016, 02:06 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,446,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azinwood View Post
i've wondered the same thing. apparently mattress firm is based in Houston.

at the costco katy, there is a mattress firm and then a mattress firm outlet in the SAME strip mall. lol
Luckily they are based in Houston. They have acquired so many chains within the past few years such as DFW's Mattress Giant--their longtime competitor in the Houston market, acquired Mattress Pro in 2007 and decided to retire the brand and rename them to the mainstream brand to create critical mass in the Houston market.

The stores on either side of T-Mobile are the mainstream one on the left and the larger clearance center on the right. The decor is not very conducive to attract the affluent customers of the Katy area down the Grand Parkway who are passing by to shop at Costco. There is a Select Comfort in the strip mall next to the new First Service Credit Union on the IH-10 feeder road side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
Order it online. I actually ordered one for my kid online and it came directly from Sealy.
I might as well drive 20 miles to Sealy and order it in person, but too bad Sealy is not in Sealy anymore. Where is the Texas Enterprise Fund when you need them? There should be an effort to get Sealy out of North Carolina!

Old 02-25-2016, 06:59 AM

1,765 posts, read 4,347,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oespinoza83 View Post
Texas Mattress Makers is who we got ours from. Local business. Great prices.

I used to laugh every time I saw a new mattress store open out in West Katy. But lately, it isn't even funny anymore. Just ridiculous. Especially the situation near the 99/I10 Costco, where you have 2 mattress stores (same business I believe?) in the same strip center.

Do they have brick-and-mortar stores or is this an online thing as well? I have just begun noticing their TV commercials... of course right after I got a new mattress (Serta Perfect Sleeper) from QVC that
I am not crazy about (and too late to return.)

Old 02-25-2016, 09:59 AM

226 posts, read 306,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfancier View Post
Do they have brick-and-mortar stores or is this an online thing as well? I have just begun noticing their TV commercials... of course right after I got a new mattress (Serta Perfect Sleeper) from QVC that
I am not crazy about (and too late to return.)
They do not have B&M stores I believe. They do have their showroom/warehouse/manufacturing at their facility off Navigation east of downtown though.

Old 02-25-2016, 10:25 AM

2,547 posts, read 4,050,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken_of_Bristol View Post
Go with Casper. Foam mattresses and they are cheap. They ship for free and you get a 30 day, no questions asked money back guarantee.

We are tossing our old mattresses before we move and buying new ones from them.
THIS! We just ordered from Leesa, one of Casper's competitors. Fantastic mattress. Like sleeping on a cloud.

Old 03-02-2016, 10:04 AM

352 posts, read 777,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTony View Post
Startup costs are around $50-$100k which is pretty affordable. Also in some cases franchising fee is as low as 35k which is also very affordable as compared to opening a fast food franchise. The markups are high and training requirements are minimal. Anyone can do it. If you can lease a location in strip mall with decent rent it is not that difficult to operate this business model.
With the lack of traffic coming into those stores the amount of time it would take to recoup those costs, plus wages, taxes, rent etc would take YEARS if not DECADES.

There are possibly over 200-400 mattress stores scattered throughout this city and suburbs

With startup costs for each one at just 50k you are looking at prices in the hundred of millions to maintain them all.

Old 04-09-2024, 11:06 AM

1 posts, read 87 times
Never been to Houston, but I agree with waytoodeep03 about MicroCenter. Way too few in the D.C. suburbs, also.

Old 04-11-2024, 08:48 AM

828 posts, read 772,300 times
Since 2016 when this started, most of the mattress places in our area have gone out of business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: