Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2024, 03:57 PM

15,136 posts, read 32,402,277 times

Advertisements

I recently moved into a very small, very old duplex. It doesn't have regular sliding windows, they open from the top to the outside with a handle (pictures attached). I'm wondering if there are any types of screens that I can get to put over the inside of the window for ventilation, and so that my cats can look out without getting out. There's no way to put a screen door on, because the door opens to the outside, and I can't use any nails, because the duplex is made from brick.

Any ideas would be appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Window Screens - Old duplex-window.jpg   Window Screens - Old duplex-window-handle.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2024, 04:25 PM

23,456 posts, read 19,122,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I recently moved into a very small, very old duplex. It doesn't have regular sliding windows, they open from the top to the outside with a handle (pictures attached). I'm wondering if there are any types of screens that I can get to put over the inside of the window for ventilation, and so that my cats can look out without getting out. There's no way to put a screen door on, because the door opens to the outside, and I can't use any nails, because the duplex is made from brick.

Any ideas would be appreciated!
IIRC this type of window is called an awning window. I've had a few on college dorm rooms and one rental. They didn't have screens probably because they were on a higher floor of the building. Call a local window and door supplier. You'll probably need something custom built. The supplier might come to the house, inspect and take measurements, and build screens for them that accommodate the handle/latch mechanism. If the primary concern is not letting the cats escape but not keeping every single creepy crawly out, they could incorporate a frame that fits right around the handle.

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-15-2024 at 04:33 PM..

Old 05-15-2024, 04:29 PM

4,638 posts, read 2,769,514 times
Yep, screens on the inside.

And last I checked flies, mosquitoes, and such can fly into second story windows.

Old 05-15-2024, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
IIRC this type of window is called an awning window. I've had a few on college dorm rooms and one rental. They didn't have screens probably because they were on a higher floor of the building. Call a local window and door supplier. You'll probably need something custom built. The supplier might come to the house, inspect and take measurements, and build screens for them that accommodate the handle/latch mechanism.
Nothing is going to get custom built, I'm a renter, and all of the duplexes are ground floor. Eventually, the windows will be replaced with regular ones, though. Half of the duplexes have regular sliding windows, and I was told by the former maintenance man that each unit costs $6K to replace the windows.

I'm just looking for a cheap fix for summer.

Old 05-15-2024, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Nothing is going to get custom built, I'm a renter, and all of the duplexes are ground floor. Eventually, the windows will be replaced with regular ones, though. Half of the duplexes have regular sliding windows, and I was told by the former maintenance man that each unit costs $6K to replace the windows.

I'm just looking for a cheap fix for summer.
Understandable. Can't really tell from your pics what if anything you could attach screen or any type of frame to. If this was me, I'd get a roll of window screen material and light weight lumber, measure the inside of the window openings and create screen frames to fit somewhat snugly. I'd build simple frames (bracket hardware will allow you to create easy corners) that fit the window openings and stretch the screen across those. Attach with thumbtacks or staples. When you want the windows open, just set the frames on the insides of the windows and wedge them in place. You'd have to be satisfied with lifting the screen frames off when you need to open, adjust, or close the window itself. You might also go even simpler and cut pieces of screen larger than the window openings and attach that to the inside wall or the metal casements. Leave the bottom edge loose so you can reach the handle mechanism. If your cats won't mess with the screen, maybe they won't try to squeeze their way out.

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-15-2024 at 05:29 PM..

Old 05-15-2024, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Understandable. Can't really tell from your pics what if anything you could attach screen or any type of frame to. If this was me, I'd get a roll of window screen material and light weight lumber, measure the inside of the window openings and create screen frames to fit somewhat snugly. I'd build simple frames (bracket hardware will allow you to create easy corners) that fit the window openings and stretch the screen across those. Attach with thumbtacks or staples. When you want the windows open, just set the frames on the insides of the windows and wedge them in place. You'd have to be satisfied with lifting the screen frames off when you need to open, adjust, or close the window itself. You might also go even simpler and cut pieces of screen larger than the window openings and attach that to the inside wall or the metal casements. Leave the bottom edge loose so you can reach the handle mechanism. If your cats won't mess with the screen, maybe they won't try to squeeze their way out.
Edited to add: "Custom made" doesn't necessarily mean expensive. I've had modestly sized replacement screens made for casement and slider windows and they weren't bad at all. Basically just a piece of window screen stretched on an aluminum frame. Consider what you'd lay out in materials for the DIY version. A window supply place might be able to make a couple of simple aluminum frame screens for you. They wouldn't be attached to anything permanently. You'd just set them up against the inside of the window just as you would a DIY wooden one. Anyway, a call to a window supplier might give you other ideas.

Old 05-15-2024, 09:50 PM

I'll check some of them out. I was thinking more along the lines of Velcro, though, and I wouldn't be leaving the screens on the window when I wasn't home. I doubt if my cats would try to squeeze out though, they're too fat, and would actually have to jump out the window.

Old 05-15-2024, 11:01 PM

61,962 posts, read 87,612,175 times
I bought mosquito mesh (gray looks nicer and doesn't make the room darker)
https://www.amazon.com/Windows-Repla...ref=mp_s_a_1_2
and 3/4" self adhesive Velcro - use just the hooks.
https://www.amazon.com/Length-Width-...ref=mp_s_a_1_4

Place the Velcro around the window frame, from inside.
Cut the screen to size. Attach the screen to the hooks by firmly pressing.
Works like a charm. It's easy removable and washable.
Mine stays on the frame permanently.

Your cats might try to pull it out. Better if they don't have direct access. Or you will have to remove the net every time, before living them home alone

Last edited by elnina; 05-15-2024 at 11:21 PM..

Old Yesterday, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I bought mosquito mesh (gray looks nicer and doesn't make the room darker)
https://www.amazon.com/Windows-Repla...ref=mp_s_a_1_2
and 3/4" self adhesive Velcro - use just the hooks.
https://www.amazon.com/Length-Width-...ref=mp_s_a_1_4

Place the Velcro around the window frame, from inside.
Cut the screen to size. Attach the screen to the hooks by firmly pressing.
Works like a charm. It's easy removable and washable.
Mine stays on the frame permanently.

Your cats might try to pull it out. Better if they don't have direct access. Or you will have to remove the net every time, before living them home alone
Thanks, this is exactly what I'm looking for, and I saw something similar on Temu. It's only for when I'm home, I'm not about to leave my cats alone with it.

Old Today, 05:55 AM

7,257 posts, read 7,115,634 times
https://www.homedepot.com/p/W-B-Marv...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

You need something like this. Open the window and set this inside, adjusting it to the correct size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House