Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2024, 02:30 PM

6,382 posts, read 4,227,154 times

Advertisements

[quote=Diana Holbrook;66705122]Yikes. I have seen failed septic systems, but I have never seen water shooting three feet in the air out of a septic lid. How long did such a geyser last???? The opening is more than a foot across! Are we sure the memory hasn't been embellished a bit? What on earth would cause that kind of pressure?[/QUOTE

Definitely strange since most all septic systems are gravity while the ones that are pumped have a pumping chamber on the outlet side of the septic tank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2024, 02:36 PM

45,520 posts, read 60,760,162 times
[quote=Rickcin;66705145]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Yikes. I have seen failed septic systems, but I have never seen water shooting three feet in the air out of a septic lid. How long did such a geyser last???? The opening is more than a foot across! Are we sure the memory hasn't been embellished a bit? What on earth would cause that kind of pressure?[/QUOTE

Definitely strange since most all septic systems are gravity while the ones that are pumped have a pumping chamber on the outlet side of the septic tank.
Just a couple seconds.

The system was likely at least sixty years old then if not older, probably like mine that was installed in the 50s, one chamber. It was put in a few years before the Town got central sewer and is one of at least two that I've found. I've also found where the outhouse was.

The house originally had the well dug (yes, dug) and was built over it with a hand pump in the kitchen. The wellhead comes up in the middle of the floor.

Old 05-05-2024, 02:00 PM

19,848 posts, read 22,754,667 times
Our lid is slightly above grade and a slab of concrete. There are two steel loop cables cast into the concrete to hook to to lift it. Pretty beefy. I built a raised block 1/2 surround so it doesn’t get mowed over.

Old 05-05-2024, 03:07 PM

6,624 posts, read 6,560,738 times
Wow guys, great ideas here. Thanks so much. I've got company coming, so I can't type much, but will get back to this thread tomorrow. Thanks AGAIN!!

Old 05-05-2024, 03:30 PM

9,016 posts, read 13,862,812 times
Why would you try to hide an overflow relief gully(ORG)?

Old 05-05-2024, 09:33 PM

6,624 posts, read 6,560,738 times
gemstone1
I like your idea of just covering them up with earth and putting annuals over top.

Rickcin
Combined with gemstone1's idea, this would look attractive, thanks.

don6170, I think this might be my plan!

Diana Holbrook, I think a big flower pot might work, but it would be heavy to lift off and on every few years to pump out the septic tank.

rabbit33, a round low table with flower pots on top would work too. I'll have to think about that!

Parnassia, I have a welcome sign in a painted milk jug near the covers. It might distract guests, but I still see the nearby covers as unsightly eyesores.

Thanks again for your ideas everyone! At least now I have a few good ideas to work with and hope hubby is on board with the idea I decide on.

Old 05-06-2024, 12:04 PM

2,081 posts, read 1,689,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
They are round, sun-faded green plastic lids, with the largest situated about 5 feet from the walkway to our front door. The smaller one is about 5 feet further than that. Both raised 2-3 inches, the larger one is about 2-1/2 feet in diameter and the smaller one is about 1-1/2 feet in diameter. (picture faded green garbage can lids)

I find them unsightly being so close to our walkway/front door and would like some ideas of either covering them up with decor? or making them less unsightly in some way. I'd spray paint them, but I don't think paint would adhere well to the plastic and they would end up looking even worse.

I'm open to ideas.

They make spray paint designed for plastic. If they are weathered the paint sticks even better.

Old Yesterday, 09:53 PM

10,356 posts, read 6,908,705 times
I wouldn't cover it.

Let it breathe!

Old Today, 10:50 AM

2,081 posts, read 1,689,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
I wouldn't cover it.

Let it breathe!

Septic tanks aren't supposed to breathe. It's anaerobic (without oxygen) microbes that breakdown the waste initially. After that the fluid goes into the drain field where it gets broken down by microbes that do want oxygen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House