Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2023, 04:52 AM

4,924 posts, read 3,351,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
This is a Pergo floor --

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...pid/?mmlb=g,17

When I looked at this house at first, I could have sworn it was a wood floor. Today's laminate looks really nice.

Both are good flooring options and come in matte and glossy finishes...not super glossy though (which I don't think you'd want)

That may be Pergo engineered hardwood 'laminate', but there's nothing vinyl about it. It IS a wood floor, just not solid.

edit to say I only posted this because so many people still call the engineered hardwood products 'laminate'... which is technically 'right', but not industry correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2023, 08:31 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,534,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
That may be Pergo engineered hardwood 'laminate', but there's nothing vinyl about it. It IS a wood floor, just not solid.

edit to say I only posted this because so many people still call the engineered hardwood products 'laminate'... which is technically 'right', but not industry correct.
No, it's truly a Pergo laminate floor, not engineered wood. Honestly, I really liked how it looked in that house.

I do agree about people interchanging engineered and laminate. They are not the same product and engineered is a wood floor.

Old 12-14-2023, 09:18 AM

4,924 posts, read 3,351,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
No, it's truly a Pergo laminate floor, not engineered wood. Honestly, I really liked how it looked in that house.

I do agree about people interchanging engineered and laminate. They are not the same product and engineered is a wood floor.

After a visit to the Pergo website, I can see a product they call "Timbercraft Laminated Wood"... which isn't wood, but adds to the confusion mentioned. In fact, the handscraped look makes it look more like wood than their actual engineered wood products!

All that said, for $800k (even in the ridiculous Austin metro market) I don't wanna see anything but honest-to-God solid hardwood flooring.

Old 12-15-2023, 09:38 AM

8,316 posts, read 3,951,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I’m a big fan of this stuff. The higher end brands look and perform excellent.
LVP is OK if your subfloor is perfectly flat, your room is relatively small (less than 30' in any direction) and you do not have zones of the floor that will be exposed to direct sunlight. Otherwise it is prone to buckling and joint failure (separation) over time. Even when you leave the required expansion spacing at the walls.

It is also very difficult to get a good install in a room with features jutting into the room (fireplace hearths, closets, and so on). Even with careful planning you end up with narrow boards at some of those walls which don't look good and are prone to separation.

Old 12-20-2023, 06:41 AM

10,380 posts, read 6,944,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
I'm looking at replacing my current laminate flooring with either LVP or laminate but I want to keep the shine that my current laminate has. The problem is LVP seems to not have much shine and I can't use real hardwood. Is it true that laminate wood flooring has more shine than LVP or engineered?
Why would you waste money on replacing lam, with more lam? If you're going to upgrade, then go ceramic.

We, as consumers, need to start thinking about the landfill impacts our choices cause. Unnecessary refuse, is just that.

Old 12-20-2023, 06:57 AM

9,366 posts, read 14,179,063 times
I moved into a newish house with wood look flooring that looks like dark mahogany planks and is very shiny. It’s weird though in that the grain design is very active yet nothing like that of any lumber I have ever seen.

The negatives?

Shows every bit of dust.
Real cherry or walnut furniture over-top are no longer intriguing.
The floor is the main attraction in the room, not the art or furnishings.

I’ve had flooring of all types in my life including southern pine, quartersawn oak, carpet, large porcelain tile, fake tile, and the old Pergo plank, plus sheet vinyl in kitchen or bath.

Whatever this is, it’s my least favorite.

Old Today, 10:21 AM

3 posts, read 569 times
Default LVP over Laminate

Yeah, it's true that laminate shines more. Everything has its pros and cons, as you know. But LVP comes with more durability and stability. You can always use some kind of aftermarket polish for the shine on your floor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House