Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 09:18 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,353,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
OMG That picture of a sewage backup into a home because of someone else's wipes...how disgusting.

Nobody needs those things, anyway. Americans are idiots. And pigs.
If you don't have a bidet they sometimes ARE needed. I don't use them often but I've always flushed them. Its says biodegradable right on the package. Are you supposed to put them the used ones in your bathroom garbage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2019, 09:24 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,731,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Wrap in toilet paper and put in the trash. Would you flush a sanitary pad?
That’s what I did. You could also keep a stash of plastic newspaper tube bags for that purpose. Any one-use plastic bag can be used more than once before discarding it, as many dogowners discovered.

Old 09-16-2019, 09:35 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,731,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
If you don't have a bidet they sometimes ARE needed. I don't use them often but I've always flushed them. Its says biodegradable right on the package. Are you supposed to put them the used ones in your bathroom garbage?
You wipe first with the flushable toilet paper, then do final pass with the “wet wipes”. The latter go into bathroom trash bags, which are smaller than kitchen trash bags and get sealed up and discarded more often. I use the strap-handle grocery bags. If your bathroom trash can is big, you could still use the small plastic bags and put them (tied up) inside the bigger bag, or just piled up directly in the trash can.

The wipes aren’t full baby diapers, folks.

Old 09-16-2019, 10:12 AM

11,177 posts, read 9,803,279 times
Doggy poop bags are perfect for this purpose. They are small, inexpensive, intended for single use, and come in a tidy little roll. Keep a roll or two in the drawer next to the toilet. Use in the dog poop pick-up manuever...right hand goes in bag, grasp object with the bag-gloved hand, use other hand to peel the cuff-edge of the bag over the object whilst turning the bag inside out and knot the top. Nice, hidden, and odor free.

Old 09-16-2019, 10:51 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,671,076 times
Are there attractive, small disposal products (where space is at a premium)?

Old 09-16-2019, 11:15 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,791,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Yes.

News flash - product manufacturers may, um, "stretch the truth" about their products. Astounding, I know.

Those of you not familiar with aging septic systems may not be aware that it is standard procedure to not flush TP until the septic system is fixed or replaced. The world does not end if used TP is placed in a bag to be burned or otherwise disposed of.

BTW, there is no "away" on earth to serve as a destination. Everything goes somewhere, and someone has to deal with it there. Just because it isn't you that has to deal with it directly doesn't mean that it has disappeared into another dimension.

Old 09-16-2019, 11:19 AM

37,669 posts, read 46,114,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
I am a woman and I always wrap my tampons (when not using my cup during my cycle) and discard them in the trash instead of flushing them. It's not messy in the least and my hands never touch the tampon itself.

After seeing on several occasions the object example(s) of what happens when women flush tampons down the toilet, it reinforced what I was taught when I first began my cycles, i.e., discard tampons in the trash.
Perhaps you are much younger than I . Honestly I had NEVER heard that flushing tampons was an issue. Not ever. I’m glad the thread was posted though- very enlightening!!

Old 09-16-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Yes.

News flash - product manufacturers may, um, "stretch the truth" about their products. Astounding, I know.

Those of you not familiar with aging septic systems may not be aware that it is standard procedure to not flush TP until the septic system is fixed or replaced. The world does not end if used TP is placed in a bag to be burned or otherwise disposed of.

BTW, there is no "away" on earth to serve as a destination. Everything goes somewhere, and someone has to deal with it there. Just because it isn't you that has to deal with it directly doesn't mean that it has disappeared into another dimension.
Duh. Another poster looking for an opportunity to be condescending.

Old 09-16-2019, 11:34 AM

FWIW, in Europe there are some countries with frail septic systems that won’t even handle TP. I used little baggies made for that purpose. I just looked on Amazon and there is a product called Scensibles Personal Disposal Bags. I would have carried these around with me at that time if the month, if I had had any clue that flushing tampons was a problem.

Old 09-16-2019, 11:45 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,353,734 times
I always flushed used tampons back in the day when I had periods and used them. Even the cardboard applicator was supposed to be flushable. Of course back in those days we weren't as concerned about he environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House