Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2023, 04:59 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,765,913 times

Advertisements

Kind of silly to assume that - no idea how old the place is, etc. - you know what they say about assume. No idea why you seem to have it in for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2023, 05:51 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,010,807 times
They make stick on tiles, like a contact paper. Doing some here and there to break up the tan color and pull your eye to the tile stickers. They have a great variety. Check amazon

Old 07-19-2023, 01:13 PM

81 posts, read 46,284 times
Home RenoVision DIY channel on YT just did a review of 4 products to use to refinish bathrooms etc. Worth watching imo.

Last edited by Ampleapricots; 07-19-2023 at 01:24 PM..

Old 07-31-2023, 06:56 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,352,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
“Reglazing” is just another name for “paint”!

It’s the type of paint that matters. Over the years of some remodels that I have been involved in, there were a few that had “painted” tile(s)- and that’s exactly what it looks like; painted tile!!!

The only way I would somewhat say it’s an “alternative” to re-tiling, is if you’re putting the house up for sale. Otherwise, I look at it as an “unimprovement”- certainly not something that has any ROI attached to it!
It is another word for paint, but I am comparing what a company that does reglazing (very common around here, especially in tubs/showers) to the "painting your tile" kits. They are different in some respects, and they do look different, and the reglazing is a bit "hardier," IMO, than things like this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Ole...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Old 07-31-2023, 09:26 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,010,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
It is another word for paint, but I am comparing what a company that does reglazing (very common around here, especially in tubs/showers) to the "painting your tile" kits.
Companies that do “in-home” reglazing is just “paint”- PERIOD! It’s the type of paint that is used- as I previously stated. They are usually an epoxy paint.

True “glazing” is a very high temperature “firing” that actually melts the material that becomes the “glaze”.

Old 07-31-2023, 09:54 AM

4,511 posts, read 2,656,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
It is another word for paint, but I am comparing what a company that does reglazing (very common around here, especially in tubs/showers) to the "painting your tile" kits. They are different in some respects, and they do look different, and the reglazing is a bit "hardier," IMO, than things like this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Ole...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
It's all about surface prep, anyway. Problem is, there's little you can do to a ceramic surface to make it adhere tightly to paint. That's the whole reason why ceramic tiles are used in the first place, because their surface is slick and doesn't stain and things don't adhere to it. (The term of art is "low surface energy".)

Old 07-31-2023, 10:10 AM

10,089 posts, read 6,422,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
It's all about surface prep, anyway. Problem is, there's little you can do to a ceramic surface to make it adhere tightly to paint. That's the whole reason why ceramic tiles are used in the first place, because their surface is slick and doesn't stain and things don't adhere to it. (The term of art is "low surface energy".)
Well, my experience is that whatever "paint" was used on my cast iron tub and the surrounding 1959 ceramic tiles must have been pretty good. The sellers had it done before I bought the house (don't know how long before); however, I've lived here just short of 5 years now and both tub and tiles still look pristine.

Old 10-18-2023, 01:39 PM

16,904 posts, read 16,118,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Let's just say, for the sake of argument, that it's 99% ceramic tile.
Why the head-smack face? The poster made a valid statement.

Old 10-20-2023, 06:59 AM

50,343 posts, read 63,918,476 times
My son redid the tile in a small bathroom. It came out looking very nice, BUT he said the fumes were very strong and he had to wear a respirator. I vote OP has it done by a pro.

Old 10-20-2023, 08:22 AM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,513 posts, read 6,323,996 times
Just dibbing. There is paint for ceramics and I have painted wall tile. But I would never paint ceramic floor tile. First of all thats a lot work to do a whole house right. That means not painting the grout. And second theres the wear aspect. Also unless your paint job is perfect every imperfection will stand out when the sun shines across the tile.

Have you considered area rugs. I see youre in Florida so nothing shaggy or with nap to collect sand. Something flat and easy to sweep. Indoor outdoor would be good. Could have some tile tan to coordinate with the tile. Maybe like this one?

https://www.wayfair.com/Bay-Isle-Hom...yABEgLq6PD_BwE

For more economical rug you could do a carpet tile area rug in a checkerboard pattern. And for fun theres those kids play mats.

https://www.amazon.com/Square-Interl.../dp/B0C786Z8J5

https://www.amazon.com/Interlocking-.../dp/B0CDWV2RF3

If you feel paint is the only way to go then I would do stencils. My choice would be to do stenciled "area rugs" with a solid border. If it wears bad you could cover it with a rug later.

https://www.amazon.com/Painting-Sten...iABEgK1D_D_BwE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating