Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2023, 10:06 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerman View Post
Teams in Stanley Cup finals can't be decided on purpose, can they?
Fans of whichever team loses seem to think so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2023, 07:15 AM

7,922 posts, read 9,146,005 times
The NHL is getting too greedy IMO. They force you to stream ESPN+ to get regular season games in addition to keeping cable for your local team station. MAX was originally supposed to stream games but then it was decided to keep games on TNT. Only weekly games on ESPN while their nights are filled with cornhole games. Only weekly games on TNT while their nights are filled with Avengers reruns for the umpteenth time.

The opening of free agency was completely ignored by ESPN and TNT, which aired the millionth rerun of Star Wars. Same thing with the trade deadline.

NFL free agency is a big deal on ESPN with analysis of players and deals that are signed. Yet nothing on hockey.

Then you need to add the NHL channel. With my cable provider that means going up to an even higher premium tier.

It has gotten to be ridiculous. I am losing interest in my favorite sport because I dont want to spend $400 a month on cable/streaming. I am sure many feel the same way.

Old 07-08-2023, 07:47 AM

1,977 posts, read 967,445 times
I agree to an extent. I am not a fan nowadays of how the NHL is marketed. Bettman has ruined it, I feel. He cares more about the image and the money than the fans.

Old 07-08-2023, 08:32 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
Maybe this is an indication, the south does not care for hockey, and the NHL needs to stop expanding there, and go back to Quebec City

Old 07-08-2023, 09:01 PM

1,397 posts, read 675,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
As already mentioned neither team has the hometown fan base of the many more established NHL teams, nor the bandwagon fan element either. It's hard to not be rooting for the Panthers as the last team to qualify for the playoffs with the minimal points required and as the team with zero respect from the "experts".
Las Vegas seems to support its hockey team. These are nationwide ratings, not only for the Las Vegas Valley and South Florida.

Old 07-09-2023, 10:28 AM

1,977 posts, read 967,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter Coven View Post
Las Vegas seems to support its hockey team. These are nationwide ratings, not only for the Las Vegas Valley and South Florida.
1. Winning. I think winning solves all issues. Any team that wins will draw fans.

2. Tourism is what fills the arena, it's not the locals.

Old 07-09-2023, 12:01 PM

1,397 posts, read 675,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
2. Tourism is what fills the arena, it's not the locals.
Fact or speculation?

Has someone collected and analyzed home address location of Golden Knights game attendees?

Would this statement be made if the metro in question were not Las Vegas?

Old 07-09-2023, 09:44 PM

8,801 posts, read 10,236,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Maybe this is an indication, the south does not care for hockey, and the NHL needs to stop expanding there, and go back to Quebec City
The league isn't interested in Quebec City. They've made that very clear without actually saying so.

This notion that "the South doesn't care" is nonsense.

Old 07-10-2023, 05:57 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter Coven View Post
Fact or speculation?

Has someone collected and analyzed home address location of Golden Knights game attendees?

Would this statement be made if the metro in question were not Las Vegas?
The answer to your last question is yes. People say that about places like Phoenix, Miami, and (previously) Atlanta. They probably said it about Dallas too. I know that, when the Red Wings were a winning team, Arenas all over were filled with Red Wings fans whenever Detroit was in town. That was true about Washington DC when the Caps faced the Wings in the Cup Finals. (It was different the next time the Caps made the finals). However, most of those weren’t tourists. They were people who had once lived in DEtroit and had moved to the other cities. I was one of those people. In LV, I think that’s what people seem to think about it. I think LV fans are real, and not just tourists, or whatever you call them. They have a good team. It’s when they get to be a bad team that will show who is a real fan and who isn’t.

Old 07-16-2023, 08:01 PM

6,404 posts, read 8,980,411 times
Bury the games on TNT, bury the ratings. How many people still pay for cable. I have ESPN+ and only had access to a handful of games during the playoffs. Relied on pirate streams for everyone else. I know I am not alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey