Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2023, 08:00 AM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times

Advertisements

We may know today if the Yotes are the Arizona Yotes, or need to move to find a venue.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article...na-referendum/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2023, 09:37 AM

202 posts, read 147,323 times
I really hope that it passes, but I have a lot of doubts. Moving the Yotes to Glendale was the absolute worst decision that could have been made. It's one thing for people to go to 8-10 Cardinals games a year, but 41 regular season games out in Glendale, when the majority of the fan base is in Phoenix or the East Valley? Terrible idea.

I think the new arena and surrounding area looks awesome. Unfortunately, with how disgruntled the fans are and a large number of retirees who routinely vote against things like this, I don't see it passing. That would likely be the kiss of death for the franchise, and I think the NHL would have to look into relocation. Too bad.

Old 05-17-2023, 07:01 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times
So the referendum went down in flames for the Yotes.

No sure what "Plan B" is, or even if there is one?

Obviously they can't keep playing in a college arena that only seats 5,000 forever.

Will they relocate to Houston or Kansas City or Salt Lake City or some other place, I guess time will tell!

Old 05-17-2023, 08:03 AM

3,657 posts, read 2,937,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
So the referendum went down in flames for the Yotes.

No sure what "Plan B" is, or even if there is one?

Obviously they can't keep playing in a college arena that only seats 5,000 forever.

Will they relocate to Houston or Kansas City or Salt Lake City or some other place, I guess time will tell!
No, Gary Bettmen's pride won't let them move, he rather chip in his own money to save the Franchise from moving. He has insisted from day one hockey is good in the Southwest.

Old 05-17-2023, 08:04 AM

202 posts, read 147,323 times
Yep, I'm afraid this is the death of the Yotes. Too bad, but with the arena issue, all of the turmoil with ownership over the years, and lack of fan support, it's time for them to move on. What a bummer.

Old 05-17-2023, 01:33 PM

1,538 posts, read 866,766 times
Houston seems to be next choice for Coyotes.

Old 05-18-2023, 03:33 AM

Houston could be good, with a regional foe in Dallas. I question if it is far enough into the west, though.
Maybe a good expansion target.

Salt Lake City could be good, helping cut down some long road trip plane flights to from several Western Conference teams.

Portland?
Close to Seattle and Vancouver and San Jose. Might be good.

Regardless, it is time to vacate Arizona. Team ownership screwed it up, just as ownership screwed up Atlanta.

Old 05-18-2023, 06:58 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Houston could be good, with a regional foe in Dallas. I question if it is far enough into the west, though.
Maybe a good expansion target.

Salt Lake City could be good, helping cut down some long road trip plane flights to from several Western Conference teams.

Portland?
Close to Seattle and Vancouver and San Jose. Might be good.

Regardless, it is time to vacate Arizona. Team ownership screwed it up, just as ownership screwed up Atlanta.
Well, just speaking of a geographically nature, Houston is west of Nashville, Chicago, St. Louis and St. Paul, which are already in the NHL Western Conference.

I sort of like Houston, then Kansas City, then Salt Lake City, in that order, for possible relocation cities for the Yotes.

The thing about relocating to Portland, do you move Las Vegas to the Central Division?

The NHL has a good amount of western/pacific teams and northeastern/eastern teams and then the rest sprinkled throughout the middle of North America.

Old 05-18-2023, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Well, just speaking of a geographically nature, Houston is west of Nashville, Chicago, St. Louis and St. Paul, which are already in the NHL Western Conference.

I sort of like Houston, then Kansas City, then Salt Lake City, in that order, for possible relocation cities for the Yotes.

The thing about relocating to Portland, do you move Las Vegas to the Central Division?

The NHL has a good amount of western/pacific teams and northeastern/eastern teams and then the rest sprinkled throughout the middle of North America.
Yeah, Houston may have merit.
And, the Yotes would stay in the Central Division and fit.

But, I expect that Houston is being considered only for expansion, and that huge expansion buy-in to the NHL.

Old 06-20-2023, 07:28 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
The Yotes will become the experimental/guinea pig team that moves around the Sunbelt testing whether or not people who live in hot climates will watch hockey.

Actually that is a great idea play some regular season games in hot cities or cities without an NHL team, but has arena. They can test markets that way. They can do El Paso, San Antonio, ABQ, San Diego, Nawleans, OKC, ATL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey