Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2022, 06:20 AM

1,977 posts, read 967,445 times

Advertisements

Right, it seems like illegal hits are frequent. The players have yet to figure out how to adapt. But the league has cracked down on it, that is my point. They are focusing on rules that protect players, and if broken, there are consequences. We've seen suspensions, fines, and longer suspensions.

I think players are much faster today than in the 1980s. You also don't see teams strictly carrying "goons" on the roster now as they did in the 1980s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2022, 02:20 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
That is an excellent point. Todays athletes are better conditioned, bigger, stronger and faster then ever. People complain about current rules in the NFL for example which makes the game seem softer, without realizing if todays football players played with the rules of years ago there would be many more critical injuries.

Just because it's relevant.. I just did a post over in the football forum about the QBs from 1989.. Out of 28 NFL times that existed at the time.. SIX of them made it through the '89 season with their QB starting all 16 games. And none of them were a 'week 16 resting players' situation.

Think about that. 80% of NFL teams started multiple QBs in a single season. now, I'm sure one or two of those were performance based (I don't recall who was benched vs who was hurt that far back) but the vast majority was due to injury.

I'd suspect that if we broke things down for the NHL.. We'd see something similar. There's likely far less time lost due to injury today than back in the 80's.

Even the 'enforcer' is gentler than they used to be. Well, save for Tom Wilson, perhaps.

Might the other reason be the money involved? You don't want a guy getting millions of dollars a year not playing. From an ownership standpoint at least.

Old 12-17-2022, 01:14 PM

1,977 posts, read 967,445 times
I think now you have guys who are goons but are skilled. Wilson is a prime example. Teams are no longer carrying an enforcer who isn't productive. With how competitive the league is and roster spots are.

Old 12-26-2022, 08:17 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,804,566 times
I've noticed that NHL players these days rarely climb into the stands, de-shoe a spectator, and then use the shoe to beat the spectator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioE-27lgT60

Old 12-26-2022, 02:14 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
Id like to see more players like Matthew Knies in the league. He brings a power game that is sorely lacking now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UaHigeA2T8&t=242s

Old 12-27-2022, 06:29 PM

2,158 posts, read 1,441,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
I've noticed that NHL players these days rarely climb into the stands, de-shoe a spectator, and then use the shoe to beat the spectator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioE-27lgT60
quite a brawl in the stands making its rounds on social media today...it happened a couple weeks ago I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaJ0Ac83b7c

Old 12-30-2022, 01:05 PM

17,115 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Id like to see more players like Matthew Knies in the league. He brings a power game that is sorely lacking now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UaHigeA2T8&t=242s
Aside from a few exceptions (Ovi being one) players like this just don't last long due to joint stress and injuries from playing at such a physical level.

Just look at Josh Anderson. He's 28 and plays some toilet level hockey. Came in with tons of potential too.

Old 12-30-2022, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Aside from a few exceptions (Ovi being one) players like this just don't last long due to joint stress and injuries from playing at such a physical level.

Just look at Josh Anderson. He's 28 and plays some toilet level hockey. Came in with tons of potential too.
But if these players are laying it on the smaller skilled players then those players will get worn down even faster. Or those smaller skilled players cannot defend these power forwards and be useless in that way..

Longevity of career does not really matter. Both Lindros, and Peter Forsberg had short careers. Forsberg really only had like less than a decade of high production. The rest of the years he lingered around for like 30 games/season. But Forsberg is going to the Hall of Fame.

Old 12-30-2022, 01:46 PM

17,115 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
But if these players are laying it on the smaller skilled players then those players will get worn down even faster. Or those smaller skilled players cannot defend these power forwards and be useless in that way..

Longevity of career does not really matter. Both Lindros, and Peter Forsberg had short careers. Forsberg really only had like less than a decade of high production. The rest of the years he lingered around for like 30 games/season. But Forsberg is going to the Hall of Fame.
Longevity matters when these guys are demanding increasingly lengthy contracts at high salaries. Look at Weber. Can't even play anymore, yet someone is still on the hook for like $7M-$8M dollars per year.

I'm not a fan of these new contracts, particularly for the reason above, and due to the unpredictability of a player's decline (PK Subban) but it's the current format of the league, and until that changes, GMs need to keep these things in mind.

Old 12-30-2022, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Longevity matters when these guys are demanding increasingly lengthy contracts at high salaries. Look at Weber. Can't even play anymore, yet someone is still on the hook for like $7M-$8M dollars per year.

I'm not a fan of these new contracts, particularly for the reason above, and due to the unpredictability of a player's decline (PK Subban) but it's the current format of the league, and until that changes, GMs need to keep these things in mind.
The solution is simply dont give out these contracts. The power forward types will have no choice but to accept. Its either makes this much or dont make anything and go minors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey