Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2022, 12:45 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,141,614 times

Advertisements

Hey all. I'm a 36 year old guy who loves hockey, but has never played. My daughter plays 12U travel hockey and being around it and trying to help her it has made me interested to play.

There are adult learn to play clinics fairly close to me. I have the money to get all the equipment needed. My girlfriend said pretty much that it doesn't seem like a sport that you can really start this late in life. I'm not looking to get drafted, just to be more active and play something I have been interested in most of my life.

What do yall think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2022, 12:47 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
Depending on where you live there are probably club teams you could play with. They're similar to beer league softball teams.

Old 02-09-2022, 03:33 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,296,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilldeadly View Post
Hey all. I'm a 36 year old guy who loves hockey, but has never played. My daughter plays 12U travel hockey and being around it and trying to help her it has made me interested to play.

There are adult learn to play clinics fairly close to me. I have the money to get all the equipment needed. My girlfriend said pretty much that it doesn't seem like a sport that you can really start this late in life. I'm not looking to get drafted, just to be more active and play something I have been interested in most of my life.

What do yall think?

Go for it. The ice rinks close to you most likely can provide the information you need to play and find adult leagues.

Old 02-10-2022, 09:20 AM

2,301 posts, read 2,032,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilldeadly View Post

What do yall think?
I was on the staff at Ohio State and decided to play intermural hockey one winter. I'd never played before and held a hockey stick all of about 10 minutes. Furthermore, I wasn't much beyond a "hold onto the railing" skater. I wasn't the second coming of Jim Thorpe but I was a decent athlete off the ice. I was in my mid 30s at the time.

There were three divisions, "beginner", intermediate" and "advanced". I signed up for the "beginner". These were amateur, college guys but nevertheless, I might as well have been signing up for the NHL. Other than me, I saw no one who I would label as a beginner. I played two games and called it a career. I did chalk up one assist on the stat sheet over the two games. The bottom line was, it was not fun. It would have helped immensely if I had been on a team with friends rather than overly competitive college guys I did not know, most of whom had played some form of organized hockey.

Old 02-10-2022, 04:34 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,141,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
I was on the staff at Ohio State and decided to play intermural hockey one winter. I'd never played before and held a hockey stick all of about 10 minutes. Furthermore, I wasn't much beyond a "hold onto the railing" skater. I wasn't the second coming of Jim Thorpe but I was a decent athlete off the ice. I was in my mid 30s at the time.

There were three divisions, "beginner", intermediate" and "advanced". I signed up for the "beginner". These were amateur, college guys but nevertheless, I might as well have been signing up for the NHL. Other than me, I saw no one who I would label as a beginner. I played two games and called it a career. I did chalk up one assist on the stat sheet over the two games. The bottom line was, it was not fun. It would have helped immensely if I had been on a team with friends rather than overly competitive college guys I did not know, most of whom had played some form of organized hockey.
That's my big worry is most don't start hockey later in life. It's an expensive sport and likely played over a long time so I'm afraid I'll be super behind no matter the skill level.

Old 02-15-2022, 09:43 AM

17,115 posts, read 15,341,895 times
From my experience playing in adult leagues here, they go as follows:

Beginner: mostly guys who have played before, know the basics, everyone knows how to at least skate. Stick work varies from awful to quite good. Few can make good plays, however.

Intermediate: Mostly guys who have played college or Junior at a fairly high level. Key difference between this and advanced is that most tend to be a bit out of shape. But all can skate very well, all can stick handle well, all can shoot, all can do pretty much everything. This is what I normally play in. I played high level all throughout my teens. I fit right in.

Advanced: ex-pros (not necessarily NHL, but like ECHL, European leagues, etc.

Basically, it will be hard to start off, but the best thing to do it to start going to skate-and-shoot sessions, and learn. You’ll eventually get it.

Old 05-18-2022, 12:52 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,802,401 times
Since my kids been staking forever and been in rec and travel leagues, we watched parents-helpers who decided they wanted to skate and it was something...
Starting without prior experience at 35-40 is hard. And dangerous. I would do learn to hockey classes for adults (skating - not edge work but basic skills such as be able to stop properly and turn around) and stick and pack sessions to get the feeling.
There is always a beer league you can join Rink are making a lot of money on adult leagues we were told (when we tried to buy ice time for kids teams)

I wouldn't invest in equipment and get something from Play It Again Sports or similar store to give hockey a try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey