Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2024, 08:27 AM

1,126 posts, read 1,721,737 times

Advertisements

It may sound like a weird thing, but I know several folks that collect labels. Some keep their favorite wine labels, others their special liquors, some just keep "artsy" labels they find; I'm working on a project and needed some labels to decoupage a table top.
I ruined a LOT of labels trying the "Usual" method of soaking the bottle and peeling the label off...they either disintegrated in the bath or tore to shreds in the removal process, so I looked for other methods and found this : put the empty bottle in a 300 degree oven for about 15 minutes. This way melts the glue so you can remove the label without creasing it or tearing it- just use a really thin blade ( like a razor blade or thin knife) to get it started and then slowly work your way down the label. Once you loosen one side, you can usually pull the label right off...just go slowly.
I saw different times and temps, and settled on this combination because the 10-12 minute suggestion wasn't long enough to completely soften the glue and anything hotter was risky for scorching the label ,while the 200 degree suggestion just took forever.

You'll need to do some adjusting depending on what the labels are made of and your specific oven, but this method really did work for me. Just be sure to use a mitt or other heat resistant device to handle the hot glass, and protect your countertop with a towel or something .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2024, 10:23 AM

23,623 posts, read 70,563,787 times
That works well when the bottle is glass and the glue is heat activated. Once the glass is warmed, pouring hot cooking oil into the bottle would be a way of keeping it hot. Yes, dangerous. Do it outdoors with oven mitts and a metal funnel.

These days, many containers are plastic. SOMETIMES (but not always) a silicone spray allowed to soak can remove a label intact. It might not be suitable for decoupage, but with a color laser copier/printer a replica can be made.

Old Today, 01:08 PM

10,921 posts, read 7,446,409 times
If you're going to print a copy, it might be easier to find the label online, and skip the removal.

Old Today, 02:49 PM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 2 days ago)

16,091 posts, read 21,212,980 times
Blow dryer? We use one to remove labels at work, but the labels are meant to turn black when heat is applied so I don't know how well it would work on regular labels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation