Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2024, 08:28 AM

903 posts, read 663,749 times

Advertisements

I was doing this for about 5 years. I enjoyed it and even became friendly and wrote to some of the people I sent postcards to.

I have not had the time to do it in the past few years. But I still have stacks of postcards so I might start up again. Although postage keeps going up. There are even group meet-ups in Madison WI (State I live in ), twice a year.

You can do hand-painted cards. Not sure you will get the same thing back. Some people have a very detailed list of the type of card they want.

I have been doing Letters Against Isolation. You send letters or note cards to people in Senior Homes or Meals on Wheels delivers them. Some are here in the USA others overseas. Hand-painted cards would be well received. Although they won't write back. I like that I can choose where to send mine. And for 1 stamp I can put a few letters in an envelope and they distribute them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2024, 08:35 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
No, and quite frankly it sounds like a good way to accumulate clutter. I've been going through a trash bag full of greeting cards and culling them down to pull out a special few to use in a scrapbook - the rest are being tossed.

I'm not that artistic and I don't hand paint post cards so maybe my opinion would be different if that was my hobby.

Old 04-12-2024, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
No, and quite frankly it sounds like a good way to accumulate clutter. I've been going through a trash bag full of greeting cards and culling them down to pull out a special few to use in a scrapbook - the rest are being tossed.

I'm not that artistic and I don't hand paint post cards so maybe my opinion would be different if that was my hobby.
I don't keep all the postcards I receive. Some are not to my taste. The ones I like I store in a book. My grandkids like to take the ones I don't like and make collages out of them. And some just get tossed.

Old 04-12-2024, 06:53 PM

22,143 posts, read 19,198,797 times
this sounds like fun. i am going to try it.

Old 04-12-2024, 08:37 PM

2,041 posts, read 990,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllieKay56 View Post
I have been doing Letters Against Isolation. You send letters or note cards to people in Senior Homes or Meals on Wheels delivers them.
Thanks for posting this, I'd never heard of it. Sounds like a great idea that I truly hope is doing some good, and not being abused by a few dorks sending out nasty letters to elderly people. I wonder if the letters are screened first?

Old 04-15-2024, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
Thanks for posting this, I'd never heard of it. Sounds like a great idea that I truly hope is doing some good, and not being abused by a few dorks sending out nasty letters to elderly people. I wonder if the letters are screened first?
Yes, they are screened before being delivered. They like to see if the letters are geared towards a male/female or either. We send them to the rec leader at the center not directly to a resident.

Old 04-16-2024, 08:42 AM

975 posts, read 533,657 times
I didn't know there was a name for it but I did it in an art class I took years ago. I still have some of the cards I painted and the ones my friend traded me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation