Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2024, 08:06 AM

966 posts, read 514,798 times

Advertisements

I'm a painter. You can mix the colors you have to get many different colors. There are online tutorials, but generally it's best to mix them up yourself and try them out on a different, smaller painting first. Avoid black!

Black really isn't a color since it absorbs all of the visible light spectrum. You can mix in some white to soften the colors. I'm pretty sure your kit has what you need and don't be afraid to make mistakes, it's part of the process. There are books on mixing colors in your library and that can be very handy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2024, 06:00 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,230,252 times
I just did one over the winter, from a kit I purchased last year at 'local-made' store in Washington DC. I enjoyed it and think I might make it an annual thing. It was a great winter 'hygge' project. I really like the travel posters from this source: https://usa.figuredart.com/products/travel-poster-lisbon?variant=42773170684111¤cy=USD&utm_medium=p roduct_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_orga nic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&cq_src=google_ads&cq_ cmp=18314264860&cq_term=&cq_plac=&cq_net=x&cq_plt= gp&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiA84CvBhCaARIsAMkAvkKI HFfc0kkGMgf8zHW2i6RMBMiw_RIVUB_UGHNrTPfYDoBM_ejCWW oaAghIEALw_wcB

The paints came with mine, it didn't occur to me they wouldn't. I'll be sure to check for that in the future. The brushes came with the kit I purchased but they were crappy. I already had some brushes that I used instead.

One thing I did find problematic was the lines. The outlines on my kit were created with black ink. It was just some flowers on the white paper background. So I really had to go over everything several times to keep the lines from showing through. I've noticed some kits use light blue or grey ink for the lines, which seem like they would be easier to hide.

I've also taken various art classes over the years and enjoy those too, but the schedules and subjects don't always align, and the PBN kits were just perfect for the short days and cold nights.

Old 03-10-2024, 09:58 PM

680 posts, read 716,810 times
I have done a couple of these recently. I got mine off of Amazon and I did not have to mix colors. It came with everything I needed and they came out nice. My husband made a little frame to put the canvas on. It was really relaxing, but I had to put my glasses on to see the really small areas, I like doing these, and I am not artistic at all.

Here is the brand that I bought...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PVBXSMP?ref=emc_b_5_mob_i

Old 03-11-2024, 08:58 AM

7,237 posts, read 5,114,062 times
Most people don,t know it, but the reason it took Michaelangelo four years to paint that one ceiling was because it was a Paint By Numbers thing, and being The Vatican, it was in Roman numerals. He kept getting confused-- XIX-- Now, is that 19 or 21?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation