Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 02:23 PM

12,783 posts, read 15,001,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I was exposed to them over Thanksgiving and want to get some for Mom (as well as pencils) - can anyone steer me to the best place/price?
Barnes & Noble definitely has the largest selection I've seen & there's enough $7.98 ones that you'll probably find something you want.

Michael's has an OK selection amount & they pretty much always have printable 40% off coupons for Hobby Lobby that you can also use at Michaels. Click on the upper R corner where it says GET COUPON: Hobby Lobby Arts & Crafts Stores

Hobby Lobby & Joanne's Fabrics has a few books too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2015, 01:07 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,547,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
(This topic could have also gone in the Health & Wellness or Entertainment & Arts sections, but I think this section fits it best.)

With the very, very recent passing of my dear father & the passing of my huge grad school exam to graduate (BOTH happened on the SAME day), needless to say that I need to do some calming, peaceful activities to truly relax & clear my mind these days.

I was kinda thinking about getting one for a while, but I got one of those adult coloring books. It seems like it will be a really peaceful activity & I know even therapists recommend it. I've already got a huge variety of Prismacolor colored pencils to do it.

I don't like how tiny & intricate the pictures/coloring spaces are in most of these books. That would make me more frustrated than relaxed, plus I'd have to sharpen my colored pencils down to the nub in no time to have that sharp point. I picked the only book at Barnes & Noble that had little larger spaces to color & it had a combo of pictures and patterns, which is what I wanted as well!

Anyone else like this activity? Comments? Other similar activities?

My wife & I like to color. We found some great coloring book at Books A Million!

Old 12-17-2015, 03:37 PM

1,007 posts, read 1,126,718 times
I am also getting one for Christmas and some colored pencils. I have a couple friends who really enjoy it and say it's relaxing. I'm looking forward to trying it.

Old 12-17-2015, 05:37 PM

2,029 posts, read 4,040,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiona13 View Post
I am also getting one for Christmas and some colored pencils. I have a couple friends who really enjoy it and say it's relaxing. I'm looking forward to trying it.
It is very relaxing, so much so, I started falling asleep while coloring. I wish I had time every day to do it. Hopefully when things settle down after the holidays I can spend some more time on it. I bought my book and pencils at Michael's back in October. I've only finished about 6 or 7 pictures so far. I should have looked closer at the book because I got one for experienced users. It is very intricate but still very enjoyable.

My only problem is one of my cats is fascinated by me coloring and likes to sit on the picture while I'm working on it.

Old 12-17-2015, 07:51 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,952,353 times
Quote:
I was exposed to them over Thanksgiving and want to get some for Mom (as well as pencils) - can anyone steer me to the best place/price?
I just got some for my sister as a Christmas gift. I purchased them on Amazon....they have a HUGE assortment. They ranged in price from around $4-$12.

Old 12-17-2015, 08:44 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,998,603 times
I bought several coloring books with wonderful pencils at "The Paper Store" in my local mall.

That's where I shop for the people on my list who are difficult to buy for.

Old 12-17-2015, 09:15 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,415,962 times
Quote:

Walgreens, Walmart

Old 12-17-2015, 11:02 PM

7,026 posts, read 4,903,157 times
I have a friend who does coloring. She loves it because it relaxes her. I hadn't heard of it before she said anything, but I'm hearing more and more about it. Myself, I do jigsaw puzzles online for the same reason, so I can understand the attraction.

Old 12-26-2015, 02:27 PM

12,783 posts, read 15,001,003 times
OP back. Here's a few other good books if you don't like the too intricate, tiny pictures:

http://www.amazon.com/Wonders-Sea-Co.../dp/0316350060

Birds & Butterflies: Color Your Way to Calm: Alice Chadwick: 9780316350051: Amazon.com: Books

Shop Taste of Home - Color Me Delicious: A Coloring Book for Grownups

Old 12-26-2015, 02:32 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,336,740 times
I love them. I'm an art therapist and I'll give them pages to color because for some people it really does relax and help with anxiety.

If you like the coloring books, you might also look into Tangles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation