Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 10:59 PM

1,915 posts, read 1,479,957 times

Advertisements

Last thing I repaired was an electrical outlet in my kitchen. It stopped working and I decided to fix it myself. Paranoid as I am, I shut down all the power in the house, not just the breaker for the kitchen outlet.

I love fixing things around the house. Makes me feel good knowing I can do it myself. Guess all those years of handing tools to my dad while I watched him rubbed off.

I am pretty impressed that the OP fixed an old tape. It sounds like it would be hard to do with all those little parts. I don't think most people would attempt it. But it's cool the OP did or maybe I should say "Kool"!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2016, 08:40 AM

2,103 posts, read 1,931,461 times
BellaLind,

Since your screen name is very similar to mine, I had to read your post. After reading this post, I think we are twin separated at birth. I love being a fixer but I inherited the trait and learned it from my mother, a natural born DIY mechanical engineer and not my father, an intellect.

I have been in retirement for 4 months and having a ball in having the time to do housework, home maintenance and repair.

I just finished digitizing hundreds of old cassette tapes and had to repair half a dozen of 30+ years old tape. The common problem was that the original splice from the clear leading part of the tape to the magnetic recording part broke off. It was pretty simple to just splice the original magetic tape to another, newer reel. A piece of scotch tape is all you need for the splicing.

The internet especially is amazing. I have learned how to repair lawn mower, snow blower, garage door opener, dryer, washer, furnace boiler, computer, playstation, tablet, laptop, car, our homebuilt plane mostly by watching youtube and reading/asking questions at DIY forums.

Last month, we saved hundreds of dollars in repairing our heating system. First, the furnace stopped firing. we found some great youtube videos grayfurnaceman and succeeded in identifying the cause being a bad transformer.

Gray Furnaceman Furnace Troubleshoot and Repair - Home

It took 2 days to locate the correct transformer mainly because the original transformer was mislabeled. The lesson we learned was to find the local dealer of the exact brand instead of going through general plumbing/heating big stores. The transformer only cost $50 and it took less than 20 minutes to replace it.

Two weeks later, there was no heat in the main bedroom. We quickly identified the problem to a faulty hotwater zone valve but it took few days to get the replacement part. The local dealer has it but at the full list price of $250 before tax. We order it online for $114 and $7 shipping (no tax). We did not pay for express shipping because we had been managing the problem with a space heater but was pleasantly surprised to see the zone valve was shipped by 2-day priority shipping.

My internet search indicated that the most likely fail area was in the motor part of the zone valve and not the valve itself. So we just unhooked the old motor part, hooked the new one in, connected all the wirings and it worked! This saved a lot of work in trying to remove/replace the old valve from the hot water pipe (something a plumber might have done and just charged big bucks for the labor). A slight problem was that the new zone valve wire connection part is completely different from the old one. By labeling all the old wirings, drawing the connections and reading the wiring diagram, it was a simple task to rewire all the electrical connections from the thermostat, transformer and neighbor zone valve to the new one.

The saving is nice but I think my main satisfaction was with learning something new, having opportunities to exercise my technical or geeky interest and taking pride in successful repairs.

Old 03-07-2016, 02:33 PM

19,383 posts, read 15,220,746 times
A pair of nail clippers that had become unsprung.

Old 03-09-2016, 06:35 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times
Duplexer on a ham radio satellite antenna, replaced old rg8x with new Times Microwave coax which required soldering. Ah the smell of solder in the morning.

Old 03-09-2016, 08:35 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,825,082 times
Ahhhhhhh a duplexer huh??

Those arent easy to fix..... GOOD FOR YOU

Old 04-07-2016, 03:28 AM

1,668 posts, read 1,485,287 times
I fixed my mail box post. I bought this metal spike thing that you drive into the ground with a sledge hammer and than clamp the wood post on it. There were 2 nuts & bolts to tighten the clamp to post part and one of the nuts had no threads in it so I had to go buy another one.

Old 04-07-2016, 11:17 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,825,082 times
I last tried to repair an 8 track my parents got me in florida.. (It was in bad shape) .. I tried transferring it to another cartridge........ (I happend to have an extra one)

It wasnt meant to be

Old 04-07-2016, 02:52 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,537,374 times
Changed the brakes in my Corolla. It was much easier than I thought it would be. Before that fixed my drying, it stopped working. $6 in parts and good as new.

Old 04-07-2016, 04:36 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,257,141 times
Thank you for reminding me. I had been meaning to ask if anyone on CD knows how to repair a Breville Toaster.
I paid about $90 for it (totally worth it) a few years ago. It seems my cat had played around with it because the racks won.t go down and the lights all blink.
Any tinkerers here today?

Old 04-13-2016, 02:25 AM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
Do toasters have fuses? Unplug it and plug it back in? Sorry, we just have a two dollar toaster from a yard sale and we still aren't even sure what the 'bagel' button does. A ninety dollar toaster is probably too complicated.

Today was fixing the automatic water system on the bunny hutch, although it's a system which was moved from the other house so is it fixing or reinstalling? It's all PVC pipe in any case. That pliers type pipe cutter and glue welding them together so it's not a hard repair.

Those pictures are from the bucket's previous location on an old hutch that was taken apart. Now the old automatic watering system is being installed on a new hutches in a different back yard.

There's two separate water systems. You can just see the bucket for the first water system at the end of the first hutch in the back. The second and newest hutch in front (the one with the gray roof) has it's water pipes with the water nipples on it now (although they aren't in the picture) and the bucket is about ready to be installed at the end of it. This is the view from the living room side windows so it's kinda like a bunny aquarium. But this has taken longer than just today. Building bunny hutches is sort of an ongoing thing around here.

I also replaced the hooks on the flyer on the spinning wheel with bigger ones so I can make fatter yarn.

And got a mechanical watch working again today, but that was just a small adjustment.

Does hemming a tablecloth count for anything? It was square and now it's round.

Last edited by hotzcatz; 04-13-2016 at 02:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation