Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2021, 08:27 PM

3,850 posts, read 2,223,743 times

Advertisements

I found some interesting first hand accounts

Did they sit on the front of the bus or the back?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbK9wh5W8uk&t=14s

What water fountains did they drink from?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JejIYq5ifM&t=2s

Swimming Pools?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIxiv72y88k&t=1s

Movie Theaters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKUA5Unlc30
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2021, 07:31 AM

What schools did they go to?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7410dZKLvbY

Old 10-23-2021, 12:08 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,593,936 times
As I recall, Hispanic American were segregated by color, same as anyone else. At LSU in the 50s here were hundreds of students from Mexico, Cuba, and other Latin countries, but all judged to be "white" if of sufficienly light complexion. In other words, "looked like they were from Spain". .

Old 10-23-2021, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
As I recall, Hispanic American were segregated by color, same as anyone else. At LSU in the 50s here were hundreds of students from Mexico, Cuba, and other Latin countries, but all judged to be "white" if of sufficienly light complexion. In other words, "looked like they were from Spain". .
There was no such thing as "Hispanic".

In Texas, Mexicans with brown skin - even very dark - were regarded as "white", and normally went to white schools and public places.

Old 10-23-2021, 02:50 PM

25,552 posts, read 17,256,908 times
I grew up in Alabama during that time. Graduated from high school in '63.
There were only 2 races in Alabama during that time. You were Black or White. My Chinese sister was white. The Cubans, Mexicans, and other Hispanics at Auburn University were white; Black people were not admitted.

Our movie theater was not segregated. Black people were simply not admitted.

Old 10-23-2021, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I grew up in Alabama during that time. Graduated from high school in '63.
There were only 2 races in Alabama during that time. You were Black or White. My Chinese sister was white. The Cubans, Mexicans, and other Hispanics at Auburn University were white; Black people were not admitted.
People today just refuse to believe this.

I tell people all the the time, "In the South, the Chinese were white".

There's a new wave of historical revisionism that's trying to write other ethnic groups into the history of legal segregation in the United States. They're rewriting the whole history of Texas pretending that Mexicans were minorities like black people, and they were riding on the back of the bus with blacks. It simply isn't true.

Old 10-23-2021, 03:38 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIxiv72y88k&t=1s

This video was the most significant to me. It shows that civil rights and integration was about black people. When integration happened, blacks were integrated. Mexicans had always been able to use the public pools.

And when this pool in question was integrated, what happened? The Mexicans got out the pool. They were startled to have to use the same pool with a black person.

They were part of the white community.

Last edited by Tritone; 10-23-2021 at 04:05 PM..

Old 10-23-2021, 06:21 PM

15,398 posts, read 7,464,179 times
Mexican-Americans faced a variety of discrimination and racism. They were called f'n wetbacks, even if their families had been here for generations, and they found it hard to get well paying jobs. My wife's family has origins in Mexico, but have been in Texas for 5 or generations, depending on which branch of the family tree you look at. My wife's aunt changed her name from Raquel to Rachel, so she wouldn't be considered Mexican - she's very light skinned and has light eyes.

After I married my wife, I was sort of shocked to learn about racism in the Mexican-American culture. Her Dad's family considered themselves Spanish, not Mexican, and looked down on my mother in law because she was "too Mexican". They also didn't think too highly of Blacks. My father in law used the n word until the day he died, and I never heard him refer to Blacks as Blacks.

Old 10-23-2021, 07:15 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
People today just refuse to believe this.

I tell people all the the time, "In the South, the Chinese were white".

There's a new wave of historical revisionism that's trying to write other ethnic groups into the history of legal segregation in the United States. They're rewriting the whole history of Texas pretending that Mexicans were minorities like black people, and they were riding on the back of the bus with blacks. It simply isn't true.
Yes, Mexicans might be labeled "white" but were not treated as such

And yes I grew up in a small south Texas town.

Old 10-24-2021, 08:01 AM

12,382 posts, read 8,136,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Yes, Mexicans might be labeled "white" but were not treated as such

And yes I grew up in a small south Texas town.
The question then comes into play were those of known say Italian background treated as "white" when among "WASP" without any colored folks to focus prejudice on?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History