Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2024, 06:25 PM

3,114 posts, read 2,025,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
If you are having trouble inserting foam-earplugs, a possible solution may be testing various brands. Foam-earplugs vary a lot, some roll-up more easily and tightly than others, making insertion a lot easier.
Good suggestions.

Thankfully, for the 1st time in my life, I live in a quiet, very small apt complex of bungalows. Zero amenities, but at least for this year, it's worth the tradeoff of peace & quiet... something I've never experienced.

I will test different models in case I move into a louder place... will be good to know the fit in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Laughing a little at the bolded! I love sleeping with the windows open in the summer and hearing the crickets and birds. I've tried nature sounds on the phone (youtube or whatever) and they annoy me because they are not "my" birds! Yet I've had no issues sleeping with windows open in other parts of the country where the birds are different. Same with the water sounds - not bad when I'm awake but I can't fall asleep to one of those videos! I can fall asleep to real water though. It's almost like the video or sound tracks are too busy?
I completely understand. The sound of the ocean lulls me to deep sleep & I've never felt better. The sound of a trickling fountain makes me want to scream out of my window. And, yes... some bird sounds in varying regions are soft & soothing... some birds have shrill sounds that are anything but.

As an aside, some critter took up residence under my bedroom window last night & woke me up... I didn't look out to see what it could be. I almost want to say fox. I can't tell what the sound is for sure, but I used to live 20 steps from the Tarpon Springs Canal in SoFL & for a few wks was kept awake by loud purring sounds & something banging on my wall near my bedroom. Turns out it was mating season for alligators & their Pocono Honeymoon suite was right next to my window (I lived on the first floor) & the sound was them slapping their tails against the bldg. Glad I didn't venture outside to explore.

I'm just glad that for this year, I'll have quiet. This is such a new experience for me. I'm in the inner city but in a complex set way back from the main road... it keeps it safe & quiet.

TY for all the helpful posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2024, 03:05 PM

610 posts, read 269,666 times
I have small ear canals sensitive to clogging, and I sleep on my side. I use Mack's Slim Fit Soft Foam Earplugs. They're comfortable. A side benefit is that they are a little absorbent, so your ear canals will be nice and clean and dry when you take them out.

I dispose of them along with other small plastics in an empty juice container or gallon water jug. When the container is full, I put the cap on and put it in the trash. It may end up in a landfill, but at least the earplugs won't end up in a bird's, fish's, or animal's stomach.

Old 05-09-2024, 03:12 PM

26,026 posts, read 22,219,795 times
We saw an issue with this in the short term with ear infections.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/art...0for,dizziness

"It is also possible for the regular use of earplugs to cause an ear infection. This can occur as a result of bacteria entering the ear canal from the earplug itself or growing from a buildup of earwax."

I would consider running a fan for white noise, or possibly one of those "white" noise machines that can play different sounds.

Old 05-09-2024, 03:47 PM

6,609 posts, read 5,012,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaByrd View Post
I have small ear canals sensitive to clogging, and I sleep on my side. I use Mack's Slim Fit Soft Foam Earplugs. They're comfortable. A side benefit is that they are a little absorbent, so your ear canals will be nice and clean and dry when you take them out.

I dispose of them along with other small plastics in an empty juice container or gallon water jug. When the container is full, I put the cap on and put it in the trash. It may end up in a landfill, but at least the earplugs won't end up in a bird's, fish's, or animal's stomach.

Both great suggestions - thank you!!

Old Today, 02:51 PM

710 posts, read 1,299,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
We have a years-long highway project going on, and all night I can hear backup beeping and banging - even with the window closed and AC running in the adjoining room (and I don't run the AC every night).

I want to try earplugs. I had bookmarked Loops but in reading about them it sounds like they can suction into your ears so much that they can cause a buildup of pressure. I read that about others while reading Amazon reviews as well (sounds like the foam ones don't do that as much as silicone).

Then I start reading about different sizes. Am I supposed to buy a bunch of them and try them out (tossing the ones that don't fit?). Go for a consult with an ENT and have them make some (can't imagine that's cheap!)

I am a side sleeper for the most part so they need to be comfortable enough to lay on.

Suggestions from someone who uses earplugs?

Notes: doesn't matter which room I'm in, the beeping and banging comes through
Keeping windows closed doesn't stop it
Running AC doesn't stop it
I also have an air purifier that I often run on at night and that doesn't stop it
I never thought I was a light sleeper but this has been crazy! I sleep great on the nights they aren't working
I've been using Flents wax/cotton earplugs for decades and they really work well. For me, foam earplugs are a waste of money. Obviously different things work for different people, however the Flents work the best of all the earplugs I have tried.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness