Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2024, 09:32 PM

1 posts, read 182 times

Advertisements

Has anyone else here experienced this problem or have advice ? As a retired federal employee I kept my FEHB health insurance. Now I decided to enroll in Medicare Part B. And am facing late enrollment penalty.
I was told I could defer Medicare part B without penalty as long as I kept the FEHB insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2024, 09:44 PM

7,485 posts, read 3,219,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach&mountains View Post
Has anyone else here experienced this problem or have advice ? As a retired federal employee I kept my FEHB health insurance. Now I decided to enroll in Medicare Part B. And am facing late enrollment penalty.
I was told I could defer Medicare part B without penalty as long as I kept the FEHB insurance.

My understanding is you can delay as long as you keep BCBS and you are still working. Otherwise it costs 10% more per year you delayed.

You might chat with OldFed as she is going without Medicare and just using BCBS.

Old 04-15-2024, 01:27 AM

25,576 posts, read 56,455,902 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
My understanding is you can delay as long as you keep BCBS and you are still working. Otherwise it costs 10% more per year you delayed.
That is correct. Coverage under retiree plans is not considered creditable.

Old 04-15-2024, 08:44 PM

533 posts, read 479,288 times
Quote:
Whoever told you that seriously misguided you. That's never been the case.

Old 04-16-2024, 12:13 PM

2,891 posts, read 2,137,886 times
obviously everyone's situation is different. I opted out of b because it would cost me more than I'd benefit even with essentiaily no OOP. as of right now, I just don't get sick.

BCBS basic has a very manageable out of pocket max FOR ME. this isn't going to be true for everyone. it also has no deductible.

now you have to decide if the penalty will still be worth paying and the sooner you decide, obviously the better unless you're getting into the range where it's going to be way more than the first year 10% but just having FEHB isn't the worst thing in the world.

some retirees hedge bets and enroll because of the worry FEHB will go away for annuitants. but if the USPS model is any guide that may be unwarranted. from what I can tell USPS annuitants are getting a special enrollment period in which the penalty will be waived and people grandfathered into part b if not previously enrolled.

Old 04-17-2024, 04:15 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
That is correct. Coverage under retiree plans is not considered creditable.

Hopefully it's true for Aetna too, which is what my hub has at Sam's club. He just turned 67, still not ready to retire.

Old Today, 08:24 AM

1,489 posts, read 790,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
obviously everyone's situation is different. I opted out of b because it would cost me more than I'd benefit even with essentially no OOP.
Insurance is designed to be purchased before you need it.

Old Today, 12:20 PM

2,891 posts, read 2,137,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce88 View Post
Insurance is designed to be purchased before you need it.
I have insurance. but, thanks?

"BCBS basic has a very manageable out of pocket max FOR ME. this isn't going to be true for everyone. it also has no deductible."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance