Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2022, 10:16 PM

21,725 posts, read 16,327,107 times

Advertisements

Yeah, no kidding …

https://www.civilbeat.org/2022/07/ho...r-helicopters/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2022, 10:41 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
If you want to avoid tour helicopters - perhaps don’t live in an area with tour helicopters

Old 07-07-2022, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
If you want to avoid tour helicopters - perhaps don’t live in an area with tour helicopters
Perhaps the silliest response possible? ^^ Ever?

Among other observations about your comment: ‘Which came first: the chicken or the egg?’

And, in either case: do you really think private, for-profit enterprise should be allowed to prosper without controls at the gross expense of public peace (and safety)?

Old 07-07-2022, 09:01 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,660,633 times
So, White Viper, tour helicopters fly out of both Kona side and Hilo side and fly not only to HVNP but also to Kohala coast and Waipi'o Valley. That just about covers the whole island. Where do you propose that we live that wouldn't be affected by these tour helicopters?

Old 07-07-2022, 09:03 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,588,476 times
Didn't Paradise lose a bird a few weeks ago? Sad. I've flown with them.

Old 07-07-2022, 09:32 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Didn't Paradise lose a bird a few weeks ago? Sad. I've flown with them.
Yes they did.

Helicopter and float plane noise here in JNU, AK doesn't seem so bad as I expected with a return of a more normal tourism season this summer.

In Puna, the worst offenders for helicopter noise where the DEA Green Harvest flights. Thankfully they're no longer operating.

Old 07-07-2022, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Perhaps the silliest response possible? ^^ Ever?
I've lived in Hawaii roughly 12 years and I'm hard pressed to think of any time I've encountered a tour helicopter.

It is like living in Ewa Beach on Oahu and complaining about jets heading to HNL - don't like - don't live in Ewa Beach.

Old 07-07-2022, 11:23 AM

Quote:
I've lived in Hawaii roughly 12 years and I'm hard pressed to think of any time I've encountered a tour helicopter.

It is like living in Ewa Beach on Oahu and complaining about jets heading to HNL - don't like - don't live in Ewa Beach.
You, subjectively, are not the metric by which a much larger population are measured. And, a whole LOT of folks who are bothered by the noise *lived where they do since before the tour helicopter noise became as it is today*.

Yes, when I lived on my boat in Keehi Lagoon, I knew I was anchoring under a flight path. Yes, when I enlisted to serve as a Navy airman, I knew I’d live and work around jets, recips, and helicopter noise (and it was all deafening …. Literally).

No, the public in long-established residential areas should not have to endure that kind of persistent, teeth-rattling intrusion.

Old 07-07-2022, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post

No, the public in long-established residential areas should not have to endure that kind of persistent, teeth-rattling intrusion.
Then move

If you are going to live on islands dominated by tourists - you need to understand the risk/reward and that your situation might change.

Like buying a condo with an ocean view - and 20 years later a building is proposed to be built in front of you and jumping up and down knowing your view will go away and expecting someone to do something about it.

Old 07-07-2022, 12:00 PM

344 posts, read 250,259 times
Quote:
Then move

If you are going to live on islands dominated by tourists - you need to understand the risk/reward and that your situation might change.

Like buying a condo with an ocean view - and 20 years later a building is proposed to be built in front of you and jumping up and down knowing your view will go away and expecting someone to do something about it.

Didn't you spend a bunch of time whining about vacation rentals in your neighborhood?
I don't recall "Then move" being one of your preferred solutions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii