Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2022, 10:56 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,897,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post

QUOTE: Digging into dramatic growth in Hawaii tourism this summer, we were surprised at just how popular the neighbor islands have become in comparison to Honolulu. Read on for what that means on your next Hawaii vacation and how to cope. In fact, one neighbor island’s domestic visitor arrivals just rose 21% compared with the same period pre-Covid.
Well - it is clear from the numbers I posted Kauai has greatly increased numbers and the Big Island also to a lesser extent. Tourists seem to be avoiding Maui (price likely a factor) - and Oahu, with 2/3's of the hotel rooms in the state is doing ok - but not great and can be attributed to the lack of Japanese market which they visit almost exclusively to Oahu.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2022, 11:18 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,824,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Well - it is clear from the numbers I posted Kauai has greatly increased numbers and the Big Island also to a lesser extent. Tourists seem to be avoiding Maui (price likely a factor) - and Oahu, with 2/3's of the hotel rooms in the state is doing ok - but not great and can be attributed to the lack of Japanese market which they visit almost exclusively to Oahu.
QUOTE FROM ARTICLE: This month (through June 26), 216,298 domestic passenger arrivals have occurred on Maui. That compared to 203,018 in June 2019.

I wish more of them would avoid Maui but that doesn't seem to be happening.

Thirteen thousand more tourists, so far, this June than in June 2019.

Japanese prefer Oahu, with Maui second. Canadians prefer Maui.

Last edited by Futuremauian; 06-28-2022 at 11:28 AM.. Reason: Added a fact

Old 06-28-2022, 11:25 AM

10,547 posts, read 7,739,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
.. Tourists seem to be avoiding Maui (price likely a factor) - .
That would fit with what an Alaskan friend told me about their search for a Maui vacation rental recently. The cost for a room had skyrocketed. What year they were comparing to, I don't know. Prices probably came down considerably during Covid.

Old 06-28-2022, 12:46 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,897,957 times
Quote:
QUOTE FROM ARTICLE: This month (through June 26), 216,298 domestic passenger arrivals have occurred on Maui. That compared to 203,018 in June 2019.
Had you read my post - I was clearly referring to May.

Old 07-09-2022, 11:54 AM

Good News!

Some relief from the tourist onslaught may be in sight and price hikes is a large factor.

https://beatofhawaii.com/decline-in-...rding-to-state

QUOTE: The signs have been on the wall for some time. The state has openly wanted it, and the islands concur; Hawaii needs less tourism to attain balance and sustainability.

I am personally looking forward to less low-class tourists. This year, we've had a huge increase in people who smoke on our non-smoking property, are loud during quiet hours, etc.

Earlier this week, a young couple pulled into an empty parking space in our lot, late at night, and set up camp, complete with a popup camper, stove, and folding chairs. In the morning, our manager told them to leave, and they agreed, but first went for a swim in our pool and took showers.

Go away!

Last edited by Futuremauian; 07-09-2022 at 12:22 PM.. Reason: Added a line

Old 07-09-2022, 01:01 PM

30,614 posts, read 18,198,614 times
Quote:
Good News!

Some relief from the tourist onslaught may be in sight and price hikes is a large factor.

https://beatofhawaii.com/decline-in-...rding-to-state

QUOTE: The signs have been on the wall for some time. The state has openly wanted it, and the islands concur; Hawaii needs less tourism to attain balance and sustainability.

I am personally looking forward to less low-class tourists. This year, we've had a huge increase in people who smoke on our non-smoking property, are loud during quiet hours, etc.

Earlier this week, a young couple pulled into an empty parking space in our lot, late at night, and set up camp, complete with a popup camper, stove, and folding chairs. In the morning, our manager told them to leave, and they agreed, but first went for a swim in our pool and took showers.

Go away!
Be careful what you wish for. This part of the article makes it look like more low class tourists may be coming in

Quote:
Hawaii has been blessed with return visitors, more so than most destinations. In fact, during the first three months of 2022, it’s estimated that 75% of all visitors were returning rather than new. But that will change, and Hawaii will find itself in a highly competitive environment, unlike any time before. We discussed it well before the latest report came out: Why Hawaii’s Repeat Visitors Aren’t Returning – Does Anyone Care?

It is being reported now that this trend is already leading to fewer bookings, which in turn could also have side benefits for future visitors. The no-price-is-too-high plan for Hawaii accommodations, for example, looks like it is on the precipice of collapse. Much more reasonable rates may be returning.

Old 07-09-2022, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Be careful what you wish for. This part of the article makes it look like more low class tourists may be coming in
You may be right. I think it's anyone's guess at this point. Over the past 8 years we've mostly had middle-to upper middle-class visitors. Mostly humble and respectful.

Recently, the crowd has been more middle-aged, blue-collar and lower class who tended to be loud, rude, and act like this is Disneyland or Las Vegas.

I have more empathy for young people traveling on a shoestring, who are simply trying to get by. (Like our recent campers, LOL.) I did a lot of that when I was young and recognize what a valuable learning experience travel can be.

Old 07-09-2022, 02:36 PM

344 posts, read 250,382 times
Quote:
You may be right. I think it's anyone's guess at this point. Over the past 8 years we've mostly had middle-to upper middle-class visitors. Mostly humble and respectful.

Recently, the crowd has been more middle-aged, blue-collar and lower class who tended to be loud, rude, and act like this is Disneyland or Las Vegas.

I have more empathy for young people traveling on a shoestring, who are simply trying to get by. (Like our recent campers, LOL.) I did a lot of that when I was young and recognize what a valuable learning experience travel can be.

Glad to hear you have some empathy for people doing things you also did when you were younger.
The past FutureMauian from a few hours ago seemed less tolerant.

Old 07-09-2022, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KohalaTransplant View Post
Glad to hear you have some empathy for people doing things you also did when you were younger.
The past FutureMauian from a few hours ago seemed less tolerant.
I'm actually pretty tolerant.

I've never complained to management about smokers or people parking in my reserved space. I simply park in the loading zone when my space is taken. The manager has complained to me about doing that, and I point out the reason why.

Weed smokers don't bother me even though I don't partake, because it is usually brief. The loud rednecks staying on the ground floor below me, right now, (in 3 condos) have cigarettes burning almost non-stop between 6-8 of them. Every unit is labeled NO SMOKING and there are signs warning about eviction. They just ignore them. Pretty inconsiderate to rent someone's home, and smoke in it, after signing a contract agreeing not to.

A few days from now, they will be gone, and next batch will arrive. Hopefully with more class!

C'est la Vie!

Old 07-09-2022, 06:42 PM

Quote:
I'm actually pretty tolerant.

I've never complained to management about smokers or people parking in my reserved space. I simply park in the loading zone when my space is taken. The manager has complained to me about doing that, and I point out the reason why.

Weed smokers don't bother me even though I don't partake, because it is usually brief. The loud rednecks staying on the ground floor below me, right now, (in 3 condos) have cigarettes burning almost non-stop between 6-8 of them. Every unit is labeled NO SMOKING and there are signs warning about eviction. They just ignore them. Pretty inconsiderate to rent someone's home, and smoke in it, after signing a contract agreeing not to.

A few days from now, they will be gone, and next batch will arrive. Hopefully with more class!

C'est la Vie!
Update: Just saw one of the redneck visitors with his grandkids. He was wearing the following T-shirt:

https://www.amazon.com/Needs-Whiny-L.../dp/B07XYR482C

Welcome to Maui!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii