Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 11:11 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,252,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaBen View Post
Just moved to HI, and a car I had just purchased is on its way from Florida. Bought from a used car dealership, its a 2013. Problem is the car is being shipped without any plates. The catch-22 on arrival is that it needs inspection before plates. So how could I get it inspected without plates short of paying a tow truck?? What do people do in this situation? I hope there is a temporary plate solution.

Ben
How long before you came to Hawaii did you buy your car? How long did the Florida DMV say you would get your plates, and is your plates being mailed to Hawaii from Florida? Do you have mail setup.
It might cost, but you could have your new car towed to your home of residence and wait for your plates to arrive. You would have to rent a car for a while. Would save on getting a ticket, and its a long process not having licence plates. Just a thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 07:32 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,895,355 times
To add to the Hawaii card-stock-required-for-valid-insurance-cards comment, when I added my cars to my insurance policy it automatically generated the send-him-his-insurance-cards event, however later I realized it might not be very soon so I called them and they said they could have them printed and mailed that day if I requested to "rush" it. Yes, I requested it. I did receive my insurance cards on the required Hawaii card stock within 2 days from the "rush". I received my cards that were generated by the send-him-his-insurance-cards event about a week after that. At least USAA has the capability to speed the insurance card thing up. I don't know about other companies.

But to recap, "regular" insurance cards are not valid. Only the ones printed on Hawaii card stock are accepted by the vehicle registration people (often times called the DMV on the mainland) or the police. Anything else is just toilet paper.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:37 AM

20 posts, read 36,734 times
I am moving from FLA to Oahu at the end of the month. Going through the process of selling the car before I leave. In FLA if you sell a vehicle and are not purchasing another at that time, you must turn in the plates. Plates stay with the person and not the car. Now this is for an Individual and not a dealer. For me its a pain, cause I gota sell the car out of town, rent a car, drive back and return the plates. I could do it by mail, but i want the headache over with, and really dont want something to go wrong and find out a month later my license is suspended etc..

Old 03-09-2015, 09:07 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,895,355 times
I did complete this process and it went just like I expected. I drove the car (technically committing a traffic infraction) from the barge to the safety inspection place and got my "failed inspection due to no registration" certificate. Then I drove from the safety inspection place to my house a few miles away. Then using a different (legal) vehicle I took my OFFICIAL insurance card information ON HAWAII CARD STOCK, title documents, and checkbook to the registration office and stood in line. When my turn came I provided all documentation, wrote check, and received two plates and a registration sticker good for only 10 months (? not sure why). I drove back to house, put new plates on other car, and drove it back to the safety inspection place (technically committing a traffic infraction again) and got my permanent sticker. Now I'm legal. I risked getting tickets along the way, got shorted out of 2 months worth of registration fees, stood in line like what seemed like forever, basically the entire experience was bureaucracy and time/money wasting at it's finest. I'd say it took about 2.5-3.0 hours off my life that I'll never get back not counting commute times etc. If I had actually received a citation for driving the vehicle "illegally" when the only other option was getting it towed THREE TIMES (when there is nothing wrong with it...but as I was instructed, the only LEGAL way to do it...though in theory you could do it only getting towed twice if the safety place lets you leave your car there... but then you'd have to get a taxi or inconvenience a friend or relative... really no good option), the experience would have been much more expensive and frustrating.

But as it was... yes... FRUSTRATING. But much better than the 5 hours it took me to get my old out of state driver's license converted to Hawaii. That. Was. Epic:

Advice/Help on "Residency" requirements needed !

Last edited by terracore; 03-09-2015 at 09:24 PM.. Reason: Did I mention frustrating?

Old 09-28-2020, 12:17 AM

3 posts, read 2,832 times
I landed on this page via Google Search. Please, any updates on this? Thank you

Last edited by Howyoudoo; 09-28-2020 at 12:42 AM..

Old 09-28-2020, 12:24 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,824,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howyoudoo View Post
I believe all of the DMVs have different hours due to COVID. You will probably need to call the County where you plan to register the car for current info.

Old 09-28-2020, 12:30 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,897,957 times
Quote:
Perhaps a specific questions would help

Old 09-28-2020, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Perhaps a specific questions would help
With regards to the existing context of the thread of course.

Old 09-28-2020, 12:50 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,897,957 times
Quote:
With regards to the existing context of the thread of course.
With regard. BE SPECIFIC. What the heck.

Old 09-28-2020, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
With regard. BE SPECIFIC. What the heck.
"... Problem is the car is being shipped without any plates. The catch-22 on arrival is that it needs inspection before plates. So how could I get it inspected without plates short of paying a tow truck?? What do people do in this situation? I hope there is a temporary plate solution ..."

Am I supposed to create a new thread for what was asked already?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: