Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2024, 10:34 AM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times

Advertisements

I'm on the verge of giving this a try after one more hack job - at a place that did fine 2 times in a row and then couldn't manage any more.

I have short hair, above shoulder length, and all I want is a chin length in front, some shape, and to look like a girl. Right now I have three different lengths on the right side, none of which match the length on the other side, which is all one length, just one that doesn't match anything else. I've been to 4 different places since I moved here and now I frankly just give up and have been watching YouTube videos and have a book on hold at the library. How much worse can I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2024, 09:47 PM

6,451 posts, read 3,967,826 times
Yes, but my hair is significantly longer than yours, so IMO is easier to cut myself and less noticeable if it's not perfect (I just cut it straight across, and, as it's usually pulled back, it won't be noticeable if the hemline isn't perfect).

I use Feye's Self-Trim Method, but I don't know if that's appropriate for short hair.

Old 03-03-2024, 02:47 AM

My hair is too short, but thanks for the instructions anyway. All the videos and methods I've seen/read have something to recommend them and I'll have it all in my head when I get snipping.

Old 03-03-2024, 05:45 AM

1,212 posts, read 501,942 times
Yes ever since covid. It's easy.

Old 03-03-2024, 11:14 AM

6,451 posts, read 3,967,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
My hair is too short, but thanks for the instructions anyway. All the videos and methods I've seen/read have something to recommend them and I'll have it all in my head when I get snipping.
Only thing I can recommend is... cut to longer than you actually want it, in case you need to adjust... even with my hair, I do that-- I tend to only cut a couple times a year, so I have a lot to take off, and I'll cut gradually, an inch or two at a time.

Old 03-03-2024, 02:27 PM

22,823 posts, read 6,432,246 times
Yes, with scissors and Wahl clippers with snap on pieces for different lengths. Also cut my husband’s hair.

Old 03-05-2024, 11:55 AM

19,609 posts, read 12,206,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
I'm on the verge of giving this a try after one more hack job - at a place that did fine 2 times in a row and then couldn't manage any more.

I have short hair, above shoulder length, and all I want is a chin length in front, some shape, and to look like a girl. Right now I have three different lengths on the right side, none of which match the length on the other side, which is all one length, just one that doesn't match anything else. I've been to 4 different places since I moved here and now I frankly just give up and have been watching YouTube videos and have a book on hold at the library. How much worse can I do?
That sounds terrible. It is so disappointing when you find a stylist that does it right, then seems to forget how to do it again. I don't even know how they could leave you with one length on one side and three on the other unless you had requested some kind of unstructured punk style.

I had problems for many years, since razor cutting became popular, so I cut my own hair now. I always manage to nick myself with the sharp scissors I use, but it's worth it. It is good enough, always better than what I got at salons in the past fifteen years, at least for the type of style I want and need for my type of hair.

Old 03-05-2024, 12:57 PM

Mine came out fine, for a first go. I have to be honest and say without my husband the back would probably be a disaster. The one side is still going to have to grow a bit before it can be completely even, but at least the two sides match in length. I assume the different lengths on the one side were supposed to be layers.

And it did come out shorter than I planned, but I was warned and I understand a little better now how much shorter it can end up. I like the length, though. Actually, I'm really happy for a first attempt.

Old 03-11-2024, 10:10 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Yes, I do - all my life.
Went to hair salon few times, left unhappy. Decided that I can do a better job
Practice makes the master.

Old 03-18-2024, 11:18 PM

20,758 posts, read 8,562,401 times
This looks like a foolproof haircut for those of you with good eyesight, several mirrors and sharp scissors. I could never do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nkgao0u95KM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care