Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2024, 02:30 AM

813 posts, read 441,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkay66 View Post
I'm old. My very long hair (hip length) has decided to become curly (read frizzy) once again, after just being wavy since I was about six.

How do I deal with it? It's easy.

Wash and condition hair. Wrap a towel around my head for it to dry while I do other after shower stuff.

Comb out gently. Part in the center. Separate into two large hanks, one per side.

Now separate each large hank into two or three smaller hanks. Braid each small hank, clip the end until all three are done, then tie all three together with a hair band/scrunchy. Repeat on the other side.

When your hair dries, gently undo the braids. Waves galore.
Consider yourself a very lucky woman. My wife has thin straight hair and always says how she would love hair as you explained.

If you're happy never cut it. Do as you do and show it proud. And always smile, that enhances every look a person has!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2024, 09:18 PM

6,451 posts, read 3,967,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelWing View Post
The OP has hip length, frizzy (her word) hair. I'm imagining a Christmas tree effect, and not in a good way.

I would cut it to collar length, style it with fingers, air-dry, fluff and go. Result?...Bouncy, healthy-looking, curly hair.
Short hair can also be frizzy. Resembling Alice from Dilbert with a *short* Christmas-tree effect isn't a better look.

Old 02-23-2024, 01:42 PM

7,593 posts, read 6,080,049 times
I saw this, and I too have long curly hair.

I am also a man

I am also Old

I do not have the hair frizzy, but because I use a gel, it keeps the shorter ends from being stray.

I also have a full length wig that is blonde, and want to use it to change my hair color without changing the color. It is about the same length as my own hair. The Wig has no frizzies.

I do not see a lot of men wearing wigs, but then again, if it is not obvious, like the short rug that is surrounded by gray hair, how would we know?

Old 02-29-2024, 05:23 PM

8,166 posts, read 6,917,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
She wasn't asking for advice. She was telling us about her fabulous waves and how she got them. And then everyone told her she had a problem.
lol. EXACTLY.

What a bizarre bunch of responses to the OP.

Old 02-29-2024, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelWing View Post
What's bizarre is you thinking it's bizarre for posters to offer suggestions to the keyword "frizzy."

Recommendations to turn "frizzy" into glossy is not out of line.
Ok, well since you seem a bit confused about my post...I went back and looked at your responses.
Here is what I see:

Her actual words:

Quote:
How do I deal with it? It's easy.

The OP was actually the one giving advice, not asking for it.

Then you suggested she probably looks like a christmas tree (and not in a good way, mind you), she should cut it from hip length to collar length (!), and that not many old women can "rock" long hair.

I mean.... come on.

Old 02-29-2024, 06:15 PM

2,027 posts, read 3,345,213 times
I'm jealous because i TOO have long, frizzy, wavy USED-to-be curly hair - is a little curly now and then still... and i'm old and i cannot learn to braid! I have watched videos and i'm so embarrassed to say that i can't learn. Mom braided my hair as a child and i wore two long ones usually. I do not know why i can't coordinate my hands enough to do it, but i'm going to practice more. I think your solution sounds great, even though i don't think my hair is as long as your's. I often want to braid i bit of it for fun even.

Old 02-29-2024, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
I'm jealous because i TOO have long, frizzy, wavy USED-to-be curly hair - is a little curly now and then still... and i'm old and i cannot learn to braid! I have watched videos and i'm so embarrassed to say that i can't learn. Mom braided my hair as a child and i wore two long ones usually. I do not know why i can't coordinate my hands enough to do it, but i'm going to practice more. I think your solution sounds great, even though i don't think my hair is as long as your's. I often want to braid i bit of it for fun even.
This is kind of a weird tutorial (it's not hair), but this might help you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxJY4lna5q0

Easier to see it right in front of you and not someone actually braiding hair, maybe?

If you practice on something other than your own hair, over and over, I think it's probably easier to transition into braiding your hair. If I hadn't learned how to braid with yarn (as a kid) first, I think I would have had a hard time braiding my hair, too.

good luck.

Old 03-01-2024, 06:53 PM

2,027 posts, read 3,345,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
This is kind of a weird tutorial (it's not hair), but this might help you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxJY4lna5q0

Easier to see it right in front of you and not someone actually braiding hair, maybe?

If you practice on something other than your own hair, over and over, I think it's probably easier to transition into braiding your hair. If I hadn't learned how to braid with yarn (as a kid) first, I think I would have had a hard time braiding my hair, too.

good luck.
Thank You!

Old 03-02-2024, 09:49 PM

6,451 posts, read 3,967,826 times
Hm. I assumed the problem was with braiding one's own hair-- translating "being able to braid" into "being able to braid backwards, with your hands behind your head, without being able to see what you're doing," but yes, if one can't braid to begin with, then certainly "being able to braid backwards, with your hands behind your head, without being able to see what you're doing" is not the place to start.

Old 03-06-2024, 03:16 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,428,248 times
After four braids dry. The camera did not capture my actual hair color, which is a reddish black with a whole lot of chrome. The color here is kinda nice, though... The lighter shade is actually silver.

Attached Thumbnails
Very Long and Curly Hair-img_1131.jpeg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care