Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2024, 01:33 PM

10,887 posts, read 7,370,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Heidi View Post
Thank you I am actually trying to avoid going to red hair.
Henna is available in many shades, from "clear" through browns, reds, and black.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2024, 06:38 PM

6,451 posts, read 3,967,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Henna is available in many shades, from "clear" through browns, reds, and black.
Not pure henna. True henna is red-brown, period. Other colors are mixed with other herbs (or sometimes chemical hair dyes). "Clear henna" is just cassia-- nice effects for the hair without dye, but not related to henna.

Old 01-29-2024, 10:44 AM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times
True that the only henna is reddish. I used it for years - had to sift out the twigs and stuff. It was a pain but I was happy until I started to go gray. Most of my gray is in the front and the way the henna came out on that hair, the hair surrounding my face, was awful. Then I went to the salon and they did a great job and a nice color, but same deal: always had gray roots right in the front around my face, so I gave up and went natural.

Old 01-29-2024, 10:57 AM

6,471 posts, read 6,670,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Premixed colors are expensive.
It's cheaper when you buy the colors at Sally's, Ulta or other beauty shops. It's usually two components to mix in a bowl (I used ketchup dispenser) and a brush. It's easy and foolproof. Saves tons of money.
They cover grays better and are formulated so that the hair damage is minimized.

Gray hair takes colors really hard and usually the color doesn't stay for long. So, I would rely on colors that are made specifically for them.

Over the years I dyed my hair in many colors (except very dark) DIY at home, with great results.
Sally's is what I was going to suggest. Buying the components separately is indeed much less expensive, and you can mix just the amount you need, so minimal waste.

I did that for years, but I will admit that getting my hair professionally done now is the one splurge I allow myself. It's $140 + tip (and I've shopped around; she is on the low end!) for root touch-up, highlights, haircut, and blow-dry. I say that not to brag but to help you feel better about how much you spend on hair color.

I bite the bullet for the hair salon because it does look much better than when I did it myself. My ends were always darker than my roots and it was hard for me to make it look natural. I justify it because I am frugal in almost every other way.

I joke that it would be so much cheaper just to shave my head! (Well maybe not. Have you seen the price of razors lately?!?)

Old 02-01-2024, 04:40 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,945,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post

There is no such thing as clear, brown or black henna. Henna comes in one shade ONLY - red. The intensity depends on the amount of lawsone, the dye molecule, present in the plant.

The so-called "clear" henna is cassia, which is a totally different plant. IT has a weak dye molecule which will only show up on light hair color, such as blonde. It is often used as a conditioner, rather than a means to color the hair.

You can use henna to get brown, by mixing it with indigo.

You can also use henna to get black (MUCH safer than black dye, which contains PPD) by doing an application of henna followed after rinsing with an application of indigo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care