Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2023, 12:05 PM

2,340 posts, read 611,959 times

Advertisements

I'm 58 years old and lose hair every shower, brushing hair or combing hair. I see this ad on TV but don't know anyone who has used it - so leery of trying it myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2023, 06:56 AM

10,988 posts, read 6,852,461 times
I've looked at that product. It contains vitamins that one can take on their own. The trick is to find them and buy them, and it might end up costing more than simply getting the bottle of Nutrafol.

I find that with the vitamins I already take, I'm getting what's in Nutrafol.

That's why I'm looking at topical solutions for hair loss, having been diagnosed with female pattern balding - top of the head - which is really common in older women according to my dermatologist.

Look at DHT blockers. I use one and it really works. I'm dropping far less hair. It comes in a bottle with an eyedropper. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5%CE%B...tase_inhibitor

Another thing is that I recently was diagnosed with Seborrhea on my scalp. Go figure. All I know is I had itchy scalp and nothing got rid of it. I got Zinc Therapy bar ($7.00) which stopped the itching and later my dermatologist prescribed Ketoconazole shampoo which I've just started using. Seborrhea can cause hair loss, so check to make sure you have it even if you don't think you do. My itching was first diagnosed as "mite folliculitis" which turned out to be untrue.

Old 03-05-2023, 07:58 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,732,276 times
Do you dye your hair? My problem was my hair dye. My scalp was so irritated with all that chemical that it punished me with itchy blotchy red scalp and hair loss. It would sting my scalp whenever I dyed my hair and my dermatologist also diagnosed me with seborrhea.

Then 2 years ago I decided that I’ve had enough and I stopped coloring my hair. I also started taking a scoop of collagen powder daily with my morning coffee around the same time. Now my hair is soft and thick again, and the scalp is no longer itchy and blotchy.

Yeah, it took a while for me to get used to the gray hair, but the payout is worth it for me.

Old 03-24-2023, 09:03 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,146,203 times
Would anyone like to share progress with Nutroful?

I have hormone and stress related thinning and it's really rough.

Old 02-22-2024, 09:29 AM

982 posts, read 607,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I've looked at that product. It contains vitamins that one can take on their own. The trick is to find them and buy them, and it might end up costing more than simply getting the bottle of Nutrafol.

I find that with the vitamins I already take, I'm getting what's in Nutrafol.

That's why I'm looking at topical solutions for hair loss, having been diagnosed with female pattern balding - top of the head - which is really common in older women according to my dermatologist.

Look at DHT blockers. I use one and it really works. I'm dropping far less hair. It comes in a bottle with an eyedropper. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5%CE%B...tase_inhibitor

Another thing is that I recently was diagnosed with Seborrhea on my scalp. Go figure. All I know is I had itchy scalp and nothing got rid of it. I got Zinc Therapy bar ($7.00) which stopped the itching and later my dermatologist prescribed Ketoconazole shampoo which I've just started using. Seborrhea can cause hair loss, so check to make sure you have it even if you don't think you do. My itching was first diagnosed as "mite folliculitis" which turned out to be untrue.
I know this post is a bit old but can you tell me what DHT blocker you take and is it prescription? I have been losing hair for years and in the last 6--8 months, it's gotten pretty bad. I am female and approaching 60 and I take supplements daily but nothing is helping. I take biotin, collagen powder, and gelatin that I make extra strong for my shakes.

Old 02-22-2024, 11:27 AM

24,478 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuttzie View Post
I know this post is a bit old but can you tell me what DHT blocker you take and is it prescription? I have been losing hair for years and in the last 6--8 months, it's gotten pretty bad. I am female and approaching 60 and I take supplements daily but nothing is helping. I take biotin, collagen powder, and gelatin that I make extra strong for my shakes.
Have you had your thyroid levels and your hormones checked? Have you discussed DHT blockers with your dermatologist?

Old 02-22-2024, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Have you had your thyroid levels and your hormones checked? Have you discussed DHT blockers with your dermatologist?
No, I haven't but I have an appt. with my new primary in a couple of weeks and will ask them as well. Thank you, for the suggestion!

Old 02-24-2024, 11:26 AM

17,210 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Quote:
I'm a guy, but I have prescription finasteride (Propecia), a 1 mg pill, and this actually interferes with the body converting testosterone to DHT. I also use minoxidil (Rogaine) which is a topical liquid applied to the scalp morning and evening. The mechanism that minoxidil works by is not well understood, or at least I don't know what it is. Finasteride actually "jams" the enzyme 5-alpha reductase, which is what turns testosterone into DHT.

Old 02-24-2024, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I'm a guy, but I have prescription finasteride (Propecia), a 1 mg pill, and this actually interferes with the body converting testosterone to DHT. I also use minoxidil (Rogaine) which is a topical liquid applied to the scalp morning and evening. The mechanism that minoxidil works by is not well understood, or at least I don't know what it is. Finasteride actually "jams" the enzyme 5-alpha reductase, which is what turns testosterone into DHT.
Thank you so much for the information! I was actually doing minoxidil and it made me grow hair elsewhere but not really on my scalp, LOL.

Old 02-24-2024, 08:47 PM

17,210 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Quote:
Thank you so much for the information! I was actually doing minoxidil and it made me grow hair elsewhere but not really on my scalp, LOL.
Interesting. I assume you were applying the minoxidil to your scalp per directions, right?

If you don't mind saying, where did you get hair growth? I don't think minoxidil is going to travel through the bloodstream, but maybe it does.

I do think that I actually do "know it all" when it comes to clinically proven hair loss treatment, that's not much of a brag because it will all fit on a 3X5 card easily. In two words, minoxidil and finasteride. There are other things that have some anecdotal support, but recall that the plural of "anecdote" is not "data".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care