Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 03:30 PM

60 posts, read 246,580 times

Advertisements

Personally, I like men with grey hair. I have seen some really bad dye jobs on men (and women). I have never seen a good beard/mustache dye job. That being said, I think it's up to each individual to decide how they are most comfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2007, 03:58 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,529,894 times
I don't see nothing wrong with a man dyeing his hair. Women do, so why can't a man do it too?

Old 11-30-2007, 04:08 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,150,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Well, if it makes you happy I suppose there is nothing wrong with it. People artificially enhance their appearances in all kinds of ways.

But...after a certain age, say 50 or so, people are going to be on to you and they snicker the way they snicker at seeing Tom DeLay or M. Jagger. But if that is no big deal then again, go for it.

I thought about it as mine has started and I am "only" 42. But I have no hair loss and the thickness is the same as when I was 15 so I figure I will move towards the George Clooney or John Derek look.

yeah you can only get away with it for a few years -- then you see these dudes on TV that are so obvious - that Cal the Conservative on Fox with the overly dyed eyebrows...I mean he's starting to go Groucho.

John Derek is dead so I'm not sure I want that look...

Old 12-05-2007, 02:46 PM

62 posts, read 299,687 times
I think it depends on the condition of your skin...is it still somewhat firm and not sagging? It looks funny to see overdyed dark hair on a wrinkled sagging face. Sometime the grey or silver hair can be more flattering to an older person. If you color your hair just make sure to go a shade or two lighter than the color you think you want or use a semi-permanent that will look more natural.

Old 12-05-2007, 03:00 PM

13,608 posts, read 5,384,743 times
I think men should do what they feel best about.

I'm 25 and I'm coloring my hair too but it's because I like to have a different color from time to time b/c I couldn't find a grey hair yet.
My dad started losing a lot of hair turning 30 (I can see it only on pics now). Now he's nearly bald and the rest of hair he has is grey and nearly white. He wears it really short now (2-3mm) and it looks younger than having it longer. With the longer hair he looks like an old guy and he's so fit and young and sportive and cool with 56 so why look like a grandpa (although he already is a grandpa).
My boss, who's also 56 dyes his hair black and it just looks artificial and unnatural. I'm more for the grey type.
Hubby has this strange light brown hair color. He's nearly 30 and I can't see a grey hair yet but I don't think I would want him to color it.

Old 12-05-2007, 05:21 PM

291 posts, read 1,075,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
Funny how we still DO have that double standard, as another poster mentioned. Why is it a given that most women should dye their hair and why is gray "ok" on men???? Why do we women still play along with this stupid game, worshipping looks and youth. Nothing lasts forever. I do think one should make the best of what you have, but I won't use chemical hair color on my head, the scalp can absorb toxic substances and it goes right into your bloodstream. Maybe it is harmless, maybe not... who knows?
I personally would think it is silly if my husband dyed his hair. I use henna on my hair, it makes the gray hair into reddish highlights in my otherwise dark brown hair. But once I get older and more gray, I will just accept it and live with it.
Eh. I don't personally think that the old "men get distinguished and women get old" has *ever* been true. It's just been repeated over and over again for so many years that women buy into and repeat it mindlessly like some kind of bizarre mantra. It simply isn't true, but guess who started that silly rumor? I'll give you a hint.....it definitely wasn't women running the world, and more importantly, Hollywood all these years! Men created self-serving lies like the one we're talking about to preserve their shallow egos, and women lined up like a bunch of silly ducks, parroting whatever they heard without determining whether there was in fact any truth to it in the first place!

Listen- Sean Connery is Sean Connery. He is one (very fortunate man) out of millions that actually didn't look too bad when he got older- though naturally he was better when he was younger! The vast majority of men age poorly and end up with pot bellies, wrinkles, and grey hair. And guess what? Women find those things no more attractive than men find them. We're all hardwired on some level to be attracted to youth, vigor, strength and health. Those qualities are most evident in the very young and very buff. That's not to say that there isn't beauty at all ages, because of course there is! But the beauty of age is tinged with maturity, depth, and life experience. Not the *same* as youthful good looks, but perhaps better in all the ways that matter.

Listen, I've had plenty of opportunities to observe women of all ages when their (ahem) "inhibitions" were down. The men who turn heads are of the same age as the women who turn heads. Nothing like a fine, young 25 year old stud with a well-developed physique to get the ladies staring and giggling! Which makes sense from a biological standpoint. Women are designed to seek out a male with the greatest ability to provide resources. In terms of our early ancestors, that meant a man of good physical strength, in good physical condition, who could fight and run and hunt and was not in danger of dropping dead.

In more modern times of course, it is often became true that many of the men with the greatest resources were also on the older side. This doesn't mean that from an *evoluntionary* standpoint women started getting weak in the knees over men old enough to be their fathers or grandfathers! It simply meant that their physical cravings took a backseat to more pragmatic concerns, like providing for their children. It's a huge mistake to confuse what women will do to *survive* and what they're actually *physically attracted* to... And as we've seen in more recent years, as women have made strides socially and financially and are less dependant on men for pure survival, they are making choices to date the men that they are most physically attracted to, and often that means a younger man- sometimes a *much* younger man.

I digress. To the OP. I cannot believe that anyone would say such things to you! Who raises such animals? I would love to say that you should shrug it off and be yourself- ain't no shame in getting older and it sure is better than the alternative! But it's not my place to tell you how to feel. And if it truly bothers you then maybe give dying it a shot. But remember, upkeep can be a real &*$%& and you may find that it simply isn't worth it. I wish you well.

Old 12-07-2007, 08:01 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,917,889 times
Personally, I love a man with silver or salt & pepper hair! Something very distinguished about it, if they wear it well... maybe if you're going gray really young, it wouldn't hurt to dye it for a while. Otherwise, be proud of those gray hairs, since you've earned them!

Oh, but I do agree with the double-standard here... I don't even know my mom's natural color, since she started graying & dyeing it when I was a kid. My father didn't start going gray until recently (he's 60), and wears it proudly. I got his curly red hair, so I'm hoping mine doesn't gray until 60 either.

Old 12-13-2007, 12:52 PM

4,834 posts, read 6,120,761 times
Thumbs up Only if vanity is your problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post
Once I turned 50 I started to notice alot of gray hair and people started calling me old man. I noticed that I felt older also. I thought I would try to look younger by dying my normally brown hair. The lady at the hair salon dyed my gray hair black and I looked really silly. I had two options, shave it off and start fresh or wait a few months before new hair grew in. I waited.

Any other men dye their gray hair for vanity or to look younger so they can get a job? Women, would you like your husband to dye his hair?
Nah!!! I started turning grey when I was 19, it being a family trait, but the other family trait about hair is we never had a bald guy. I am past retirement age and have a full head of almost totally silver grey hair and my Wife loves it.

I have to have my hair cut five times more often than that of the other "old guys" and the barber always asks "Wanna dye your hair?", to which I always say, "Why?". She is only 35 and dyes her hair but men see nothing wrong with that. I have to look at old photos to see what my Wife's true hair color is.

Unless you have problems with worrying about aging, look at all the old geezers with dyed hair who look ridiculous...like we don't know their hair really isn't black as the Ace of Spades...lol .....my two cents worth.

Old 12-13-2007, 12:58 PM

4,834 posts, read 6,120,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Personally, I love a man with silver or salt & pepper hair! Something very distinguished about it, if they wear it well... maybe if you're going gray really young, it wouldn't hurt to dye it for a while. Otherwise, be proud of those gray hairs, since you've earned them!

Oh, but I do agree with the double-standard here... I don't even know my mom's natural color, since she started graying & dyeing it when I was a kid. My father didn't start going gray until recently (he's 60), and wears it proudly. I got his curly red hair, so I'm hoping mine doesn't gray until 60 either.
gixmo980:

You go girl...your Dad has character and wisdom...bet they call him The Silver Fox!!

Old 12-13-2007, 03:36 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,027,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey_NC View Post
Nah!!! I started turning grey when I was 19, it being a family trait, but the other family trait about hair is we never had a bald guy. I am past retirement age and have a full head of almost totally silver grey hair and my Wife loves it.

I have to have my hair cut five times more often than that of the other "old guys" and the barber always asks "Wanna dye your hair?", to which I always say, "Why?". She is only 35 and dyes her hair but men see nothing wrong with that. I have to look at old photos to see what my Wife's true hair color is.

Unless you have problems with worrying about aging, look at all the old geezers with dyed hair who look ridiculous...like we don't know their hair really isn't black as the Ace of Spades...lol .....my two cents worth.
The trick is to dye it black or whatever color you used to be but leave a little gray. Just enough so you don't look silly, but not so much that you look like Moses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care