Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2024, 11:25 PM
Status: "When I am not here I am at the gun range or gardening." (set 2 days ago)

1,160 posts, read 599,856 times

Advertisements

A 5 shot 3" 410 of varied flavors, or 45 long Colt revolver, 13" barrel, no sights but a pic rail top and in forward grip under lug.

https://www.taurususa.com/revolvers/...steel-13-00-in

My small sized and aging brother in law (81) has decided he doesnt like his Mossberg 410 shockwave pump shotty so much, and has gifted it to me. He has issues operating the action when he is not under stress, so he may have a point.

But he still wants a reliable home defense piece that can take varied ammo, as this will be kept in a multi story condo and he is worried about over penetration issues.

We looked at the Henry mares leg short shotty in 410, the lever action doesnt appeal to him either.

I ran across the Taurus Home defender online only, havent found one around he can hold and feel. I think it may work with a laser for him, and a flashlight both nailed to the pic rails.

He isnt interested in semi autos, even my TX22, and he doesnt like the shorter aiming length of pretty much any revolver we have looked at together. We rented a few at my local range for him to try. He is a bit recoil averse, but I have seen reviews that state this thing tames recoil pretty well over shorter revolvers.

Anybody here have the Taurus? if so, what are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2024, 02:13 PM

8,090 posts, read 12,819,840 times
I don't have any experience with that weapon. Do you think he would be comfortable with a semi-auto shot gun in .410? Since he is worried about overpenetration he should probably stick with shotgun rounds and not 45 colt.

I just did a quick search at Buds Gunshop and there are plenty to choose from.
https://www.budsgunshop.com/search.p...e/action/32592

Old 05-03-2024, 03:25 PM

460 posts, read 309,973 times
Got one, Love it.
The recoil is about like a 38.

it's accurate, easy to carry, and the home defense rounds are great. I found a box of 20 410 home defense round that have 3 110 jacketed bullets for $21.

It's easy to carry, pretty accurate with the 45 Long Colts, moderate recoil, lots of punch, and for a larger bore pistol, it's not that heavy to carry.

mine is the short barrel model, not 13".

its the weapon i usually have on my belt around the ranch.

https://www.taurususa.com/revolvers/...-steel-3-00-in

Old 05-03-2024, 04:02 PM

3,286 posts, read 1,766,089 times
Wouldn't adding a forward grip to a pistol create an AOW as defined by the BATFE ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Desert Guy View Post
A 5 shot 3" 410 of varied flavors, or 45 long Colt revolver, 13" barrel, no sights but a pic rail top and in forward grip under lug.

Snip
what are your thoughts?

Last edited by Driver 47; 05-03-2024 at 04:12 PM..

Old 05-03-2024, 04:19 PM

4,571 posts, read 5,685,633 times
Exclamation Taurus Judge:HD front rail is intended for lights, lasers, or a tax stamp

Quote:

https://www.taurususa.com/revolvers/...steel-13-00-in

Anybody here have the Taurus? if so, what are your thoughts?
Considered it, chose a 20-gauge shotgun instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver 47 View Post
Wouldn't adding a forward grip to a pistol create an AOW as defined by the BATFE ?
I think OP was just using the wrong terminology, there is not a vertical forward grip offered on that model of Taurus, the front pic rail is advertised as "for lights and lasers", to avoid the AOW classification.

Old 05-03-2024, 10:00 PM
Status: "When I am not here I am at the gun range or gardening." (set 2 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I don't have any experience with that weapon. Do you think he would be comfortable with a semi-auto shot gun in .410? Since he is worried about overpenetration he should probably stick with shotgun rounds and not 45 colt.

I just did a quick search at Buds Gunshop and there are plenty to choose from.
https://www.budsgunshop.com/search.p...e/action/32592
You had me excited with the link, lol.

Buds Gun shop is out of stock also.

This odd gun is the Home Defender model with a 13" barrel.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_...+black+5+round

We talked about auto loaders some, yes.

In his case I believe the simpler the better, and this one seems pretty simple.

And yes, just shotgun rounds in it for him.

Old 05-03-2024, 10:05 PM

14,568 posts, read 23,094,676 times
"Taurus" and "reliable" are two words that don't go together. Never trust your life to Taurus products. They are fine for range toys, but for life saving equipment, spend the money on a quality firearm.

Old 05-03-2024, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post

I think OP was just using the wrong terminology, there is not a vertical forward grip offered on that model of Taurus, the front pic rail is advertised as "for lights and lasers", to avoid the AOW classification.
Yes, likely using the wrong terminology here. I didnt know forward grip implied a vertical grip.

Heat guard? I wouldnt call it a barrel shroud, as it is only underneath.

Old 05-03-2024, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
"Taurus" and "reliable" are two words that don't go together. Never trust your life to Taurus products. They are fine for range toys, but for life saving equipment, spend the money on a quality firearm.
Even the revolvers? Do you have or had any Taurus revolvers? It doesnt get much simpler it would seem, hence reliability goes way up.

Old 05-04-2024, 08:51 AM

12,957 posts, read 13,374,564 times
Quote:
You had me excited with the link, lol.

Buds Gun shop is out of stock also.

This odd gun is the Home Defender model with a 13" barrel.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_...+black+5+round

We talked about auto loaders some, yes.

In his case I believe the simpler the better, and this one seems pretty simple.

And yes, just shotgun rounds in it for him.
I would not fire that weapon with my hand gripping the “stock” under the 13” barrel.
The blast from the gap between the forcing cone & cylinder would be quite painful & dangerous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6vMkk8VYzc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting