Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2024, 01:53 PM

19,905 posts, read 22,830,404 times

Advertisements

No I haven’t shot one. They apparently have a cult like following. I read it’s a HEAVY pull to **** the hammer, so probably not useful for the gal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2024, 01:55 PM

10,821 posts, read 5,750,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
No I haven’t shot one. They apparently have a cult like following. I read it’s a HEAVY pull to **** the hammer, so probably not useful for the gal.
No grip to speak of, either.

I see them as a novelty, but not a serious self defense weapon.

Old 03-31-2024, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
No grip to speak of, either.

I see them as a novelty, but not a serious self defense weapon.
I totally agree I’m just thinking about her limitations. Like I said- ‘spitballing’.

Old 03-31-2024, 02:57 PM
Status: "Wasting time in the internet, just like you." (set 4 days ago)

1,294 posts, read 668,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
I like the various LCR’s a lot, and the 9mm is a great option. However, in this context, the polymer frame can be a problem due to the light weight. Recoil may then be an issue for ocnjgirl. The steel frame SP101 weighs approximately 10 ounces more than the 17 oz weight of the LCRx.
I indeed thought of recoil, but milder 9mm loads would help with that to a manageable level I would hope.

The LCRx has a smaller frame (she seems to have tiny hands) and the DA trigger pull is a couple lbs less than the SP101. In the other now huge thread, she mentioned having issues working an unnamed revolver through the full DA trigger pull range, due to her hand size and strength (By her input there also regarding loading, reach and strength, she seems to have some real limitations). A lighter revolver would be easier for her to manipulate also I would think.

I have a mid 80's vintage GP100 in .357 and a newer LCRx in .38 myself, but not an SP101 (although I have shot the SP101 while in Fed Govt service). My own wife and her tiny hands likes shooting my LCRx quite a bit, the larger frame GP100 gives her issues holding/cocking for SA/ and keeping sight alignment through full DA trigger pull.

Of course the best thing OCNgirl could do is rent these different gats at her local range with an experienced trainer/attendant to find what fits her well, but her comments about her local range seems to look like they are not very attentive to a new shooter and the firearms/condition they have.

Old 03-31-2024, 04:19 PM

3,316 posts, read 1,792,067 times
Quote:
Have you ever shot one of those Bond Derringers? If so, what did you think?
I have one. A Snakeslayer in 45 Colt/.410. It's not for small hands or weak fingers its a handful even with low brass shot shells. With high brass defensive shells (000 Buck) or 45 Colt rounds recoil is stout. Trigger pull on early production models was so stout that Bond Arms offered an upgrade for the hammer and trigger which tamed trigger pull somewhat. I had a set of boot grips (made by a grip maker) which help with controlling recoil. The downside is it's no longer concealable.

The accessory 45acp barrel contributes to operation and accuracy. I like it in the "driving holster" for long trips but keep my 1911 in a shoulder rig. Not a gun for beginners.

Old 03-31-2024, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver 47 View Post
I have one. A Snakeslayer in 45 Colt/.410. It's not for small hands or weak fingers its a handful even with low brass shot shells. With high brass defensive shells (000 Buck) or 45 Colt rounds recoil is stout. Trigger pull on early production models was so stout that Bond Arms offered an upgrade for the hammer and trigger which tamed trigger pull somewhat. I had a set of boot grips (made by a grip maker) which help with controlling recoil. The downside is it's no longer concealable.

The accessory 45acp barrel contributes to operation and accuracy. I like it in the "driving holster" for long trips but keep my 1911 in a shoulder rig. Not a gun for beginners.
That’s good to know!!!

Old 04-15-2024, 05:34 PM

1,567 posts, read 2,809,345 times
Sorry, wrong thread

Last edited by nalabama; 04-15-2024 at 05:38 PM.. Reason: Wrong thread

Old 04-15-2024, 05:40 PM

1,567 posts, read 2,809,345 times
For cast .32 H&R ammo you can order online from http://www.lostriverammocompany.com/

Old 04-28-2024, 09:26 PM

435 posts, read 981,370 times
I have a Ruger GP101 in 327 Federal. I think it is a great gun. First off, it gives you one more round in the cylinder than the 357 mag. the rubber grip is nice too. But the real advantage is you can fire FOUR different rounds from it. The old old 32 Smith and Wesson, the 32 Smith and Wesson Long, the 327 H & R magnum and the 327 Federal mag. If one is too powerful you just go down to the next lower round. It is also a good gun to train a new shooter. You start out with the 32 Smith as it has almost no kick. Once they get use to it, you go up to the Long and so on. You can also mix up the ammo so they can work on their aim and grip, as they will not know if they got a weak or strong round under the hammer. I know I am repeating previous comments but it is worth repeating. Great Gun.

Old 05-02-2024, 04:56 PM

17,235 posts, read 57,231,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 212david51 View Post
I have a Ruger GP101 in 327 Federal. I think it is a great gun. First off, it gives you one more round in the cylinder than the 357 mag. the rubber grip is nice too. But the real advantage is you can fire FOUR different rounds from it. The old old 32 Smith and Wesson, the 32 Smith and Wesson Long, the 327 H & R magnum and the 327 Federal mag. If one is too powerful you just go down to the next lower round. It is also a good gun to train a new shooter. You start out with the 32 Smith as it has almost no kick. Once they get use to it, you go up to the Long and so on. You can also mix up the ammo so they can work on their aim and grip, as they will not know if they got a weak or strong round under the hammer. I know I am repeating previous comments but it is worth repeating. Great Gun.
This is also true of the .357 Magnum, which can fire the 38 Special, 38 Long and 38 Short (I forget if these are S&W or Colt versions, these obsolescent rounds are not common.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting