Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2024, 10:24 AM

10,819 posts, read 5,750,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I point to this video made by a guy/team that illustrates the speed of a charge by a momma grizzly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YErf3N0MpDY

It can happen so fast, and the are so low to the ground it's like trying to hit a bowling ball at 20+mph.

This guy lives in Paradise Valley and he did a heck of a documentary on a momma mountain lion and her kits. He discovered her dens literally in his backyard. Fascinating.
I saw that video when it first came out, and it is indeed very well done. I recommend this to friends that proclaim that the bear threat is "no big deal."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2024, 12:30 PM

19,905 posts, read 22,830,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
I saw that video when it first came out, and it is indeed very well done. I recommend this to friends that proclaim that the bear threat is "no big deal."
I'm definitely in the latter camp of shooters you described. I don't practice nearly enough to call myself an expert with a handgun. Rifle/carbine/shotgun? Yes, or 'better than proficient'. But I'm not comfortable enough to NOT carry bear spray as defense. However, I do carry a handgun as well.

I can tell you that when we pheasant hunt in Choteau MT that terrain type with the ditches/coulees and creek/river shrub is all, over, the place. It sends chills up my spine turning a lot of corners. I only hunt with a semi auto and it's loaded #5, #5, 00, slug.

Old 04-25-2024, 11:06 AM

Quote:
I'm definitely in the latter camp of shooters you described. I don't practice nearly enough to call myself an expert with a handgun. Rifle/carbine/shotgun? Yes, or 'better than proficient'. But I'm not comfortable enough to NOT carry bear spray as defense. However, I do carry a handgun as well.

I can tell you that when we pheasant hunt in Choteau MT that terrain type with the ditches/coulees and creek/river shrub is all, over, the place. It sends chills up my spine turning a lot of corners. I only hunt with a semi auto and it's loaded #5, #5, 00, slug.
I run into a lot more “pucker factor” kinds of situations when I’m fishing. Pushing through thick willows along a riverbank, trying to get into a spot? Perfect place to run into an ornery moose (they’re ALL ornery, aren’t they?), or a grizz cub looking for his momma.

I run into similar when rifle hunting, but then, I always have a gun at the ready.

Old 04-25-2024, 11:11 AM

19,905 posts, read 22,830,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
I run into a lot more “pucker factor” kinds of situations when I’m fishing. Pushing through thick willows along a riverbank, trying to get into a spot? Perfect place to run into an ornery moose (they’re ALL ornery, aren’t they?), or a grizz cub looking for his momma.

I run into similar when rifle hunting, but then, I always have a gun at the ready.
A native friend of mine, a gal from Browning, was picking huckleberries along a stream. She was working the bushes from the stream side of the bank. She was working her way down the bank and at one point she smelled something and stood up looking over and between the bushes and a grizz stood up and looked at her from the other side. She ran into the stream to the other side and the bear ran the other way. She said they scared each other, lol

Old 04-25-2024, 02:43 PM

Quote:
A native friend of mine, a gal from Browning, was picking huckleberries along a stream. She was working the bushes from the stream side of the bank. She was working her way down the bank and at one point she smelled something and stood up looking over and between the bushes and a grizz stood up and looked at her from the other side. She ran into the stream to the other side and the bear ran the other way. She said they scared each other, lol
Exactly.

Old 04-27-2024, 03:01 PM

50,535 posts, read 47,325,804 times
Quote:
nightmare fuel.

Old 04-28-2024, 09:18 PM

435 posts, read 981,370 times
Had a Glock. Found the Springfield Armory XD is better. Fire a Glock a lot at the range and that safety on the trigger will make your finger sore.

Old 05-06-2024, 09:33 AM

14,574 posts, read 23,127,477 times
If you're looking to protect yourself from bears and the like, you don't need large caliber weapons. 9mm is perfectly sufficient, and accurate fire is more important than caliber.

That said, a Glock 20 is versatile enough that it would be a good choice here.

Old Today, 06:25 AM

24,461 posts, read 23,156,696 times
Quote:
Check out David Paulides missing 411 and the Canam Missing persons project sometime. Berry pickers disappear even in areas without bears.
I just watched a video of a young 17 year old wannabe rapper who was social posting while playing with a semi automatic pistol. It did not end well. So why not look at a revolver. There are several budget friendly models out there by Taurus or Charter Arms and Smith and Wesson and Ruger make solid handguns. I also watched a video where a would be armed robber was disarmed( a young person) and the good samaratan who disarmed him then had to unjam the weapon so he could use it in his own defense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting