Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2024, 11:47 AM

2,058 posts, read 1,670,378 times

Advertisements

Optics are one of those things where the more they cost the better they are. But, like many things, there is a point where more money gets you less improvement. You can find binoculars for anywhere between $40 and several thousand dollars. For me, the sweet spot is between $600 - $800.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2024, 12:06 PM

1,797 posts, read 2,236,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
What's your budget?
$200-ish. I think those Nikons are the winner.

Old 02-14-2024, 02:16 PM

6,762 posts, read 5,066,113 times
$200 will get you a pretty decent pair of binos. Here are some 8x42 Oberwerks:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...inoculars.html

B&H does sell used equipment, so you could also check to see what they have in inventory.

Old 02-14-2024, 02:49 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,105,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
Even budget binoculars like Tasco can last 40 to 50 years with reasonable care. I know because I still have some that work like new.

I guess I said "quality binoculars will last the rest of your life" as a plug for buying at least decent quality.

Even toy binoculars should last many lifetimes if reasonably cared for, that is, don't scratch the lens with inept cleaning, don't drop and break them.

If you don't want to spend big, do consider the usual mail order sporting goods vendors, and in particular pawn shops, you can sometimes score a very good optic in a pawn shop for small money.

Old 02-14-2024, 03:17 PM

19,786 posts, read 22,695,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I guess I said "quality binoculars will last the rest of your life" as a plug for buying at least decent quality.

Even toy binoculars should last many lifetimes if reasonably cared for, that is, don't scratch the lens with inept cleaning, don't drop and break them.

If you don't want to spend big, do consider the usual mail order sporting goods vendors, and in particular pawn shops, you can sometimes score a very good optic in a pawn shop for small money.
One of the hunting forums I visit- geared towards western hunting, ALWAYS have folks listing their bino's for sale looking to upgrade. There are often screaming deals on Vortex, Meopta, Leupold and occasionally some of the higher end ones like Leica, Swaro and Zeiss (not $200 though, lol)

Old 02-14-2024, 04:00 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,105,963 times
In general Vortex and Meopta are very good bang for the buck brands. I have never been disappointed with any Leupold optics.

And like anything else, once you get past "very good" quality and head into "excellent" territory, the price goes up a lot, but the improvements are not as attention getting.

Also look at Deutche Optik's website. I didn't spell it right but you can find it.

Old 02-14-2024, 04:04 PM

106,739 posts, read 108,937,910 times
i use nikon monarch 8x 42

Old 02-14-2024, 05:13 PM

424 posts, read 973,982 times
It really depends on what you want to use them for. There are very small collapsing binoculars called "opera glasses" that give you about 4 power that can fit in your shirt pocket. There are a bunch of small ones good for bird watching. Then you have big military grade binoculars with massive 40 or 50 mm front lenses so they can gather a lot of light in the dark, used prior to night vision goggles. There are also binoculars used for hunting that have the same magnification as a rifle scope so you can check game out without having to hold your rifle up all the time. So decide what you want to use them for then go down to Cabelas or some other big sporting store and talk to the sales people.

Old 02-14-2024, 06:17 PM

240 posts, read 239,278 times
I run a pair of Athlon Midas 10x42s for hunting which are pretty nice and have a transferable lifetime warranty. But, even though market price is below MSRP, they are probably still over your budget. MSRP is about $390, I think I got them for about $270.

Old 02-14-2024, 07:10 PM

19,786 posts, read 22,695,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
In general Vortex and Meopta are very good bang for the buck brands. I have never been disappointed with any Leupold optics.

And like anything else, once you get past "very good" quality and head into "excellent" territory, the price goes up a lot, but the improvements are not as attention getting.

Also look at Deutche Optik's website. I didn't spell it right but you can find it.
I beg to differ. I hunted with a guy this year that has high end vortex and I had my Swaro pures. At a 1,000 plus yards he could make out it was a buck, I could count tines and see if they’re outside ears. Plus my FOV was substantially better with no aberration on edge. It’s not a small difference.

I’m saving my coin for a Swaro spotting scope.

I’ll add this- we use our binocs every day. Bird watching, watching deer and pronghorns from our kitchen windows, hiking, hunting... I know it’s high end but we’re happy to finally own optics like this. When I travel across the state they always go with me (us).

Last edited by Threerun; 02-14-2024 at 07:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting