Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2024, 09:14 AM

10,711 posts, read 5,651,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
^^^what he said.

I just had to do a dispersal as a POA/primary for a living estate auction for an uncle who had a collection including full rock and roll he took out of the hand of the VC he just subdued. and of all this - even working for the US treasury - I have learned that no one consistently knows the law. In fact, I got 3 radically different story's from the local PSP troop within a 48 hour span - each of which could have cost me my federale-ship. It was actually a local cop knew the correct verses.

btw - the govt list of who has what is far more complete than you know and is ever publicized. Saw it first hand.

However, its history is far less lengthy than you know and the govt claims. anything pre-1990 is likely off book and in the ether.

research and follow the law for the city, county state you are in. cuz in this instance, a foul does not just affect the object in question, but will refer back to ALL the objects you own and in some city, county, states - its permanent.

when in doubt, talk to an auctioneer that has his adjacent state FFLs. Their life and freedom depends on it.
LEO’s from local yokels up to Fed alphabet soup agency LEO’s, are the last people I would ever go to for legal information regarding gun laws, NFA issues, etc. The amount of disinformation and outright illegal “advice” they dispense is stunning. FFL’s are generally better, but there are plenty that really don’t know their stuff, and get some things horribly wrong.

For those who aren’t really in the know and are looking for sound advice, good luck. It can be a real minefield out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2024, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
In many places it is perfectly legal to gift a gun.
In most places it is perfectly legal.

Old 01-06-2024, 01:37 PM

8,927 posts, read 4,632,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Since it was purchase thru an FFL it’s already ‘on the books’. If there is something I need to be concerned about with people on the internet ‘copying a serial number’ for some nefarious purpose- do tell what that may be?

My lisc plate is very public. It’s seen everyday.
Yes, your license plate is very public, but did you ever wonder why the news blurs it?

I am not really talking about federales, although what RetireinPA says is true.

Probably shouldn't have a photo of your wife's credit card receipt on here, either. IIRC, that was you, and I am glad it is no longer on here. (Someone deleted the picture, but, when I saw it, I logged you as female, which turned out, apparently incorrect.)

I have just learned, over the years, never underestimate what kinds of evil is in this world.

And never underestimate who might be gathering information.
(I figure, the bad guys ARE going to gather info, so, the good guys ought to, also.)

Old 01-06-2024, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
Yes, your license plate is very public, but did you ever wonder why the news blurs it?
OK, I’ll bite. Why does the news blur license lates when they are readily visible in public?

Old 01-06-2024, 03:15 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Quote:

I am not really talking about federales, although what RetireinPA says is true.

Probably shouldn't have a photo of your wife's credit card receipt on here, either. IIRC, that was you, and I am glad it is no longer on here. (Someone deleted the picture, but, when I saw it, I logged you as female, which turned out, apparently incorrect.)

I have just learned, over the years, never underestimate what kinds of evil is in this world.

(I figure, the bad guys ARE going to gather info, so, the good guys ought to, also.)
No CC number on the receipt, which was for primers a few years ago as I recall. There was a limit of 1,000 per, so I bought one, my wife bought one, my daughter bought one, and my good friend Vitto bought one. Ah fun times....

Here’s the thing- If you are concerned about serial numbers, license plates, photos, receipts or whatever-you follow your own conscious.

As for me? I’m really not all that concerned. The FFL has my serial numbers, the public sees my vehicle plates and can look or photograph my vin, if someone steals my credit card number or fraudulently charges on it- I can report it or charge back with the CC company (which has happened 3x in my life with internet charges / breaches of data). My photo? I don’t care if anyone sees my mug. If someone is bent on finding me in Montana- have at it.

All of my immediate families PII has been stolen thanks to the large data breach via OPM. A serial number and photo of a rifle at least lets others know that I have, um, a firearm. Or 30. Maybe.

Old 01-06-2024, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
OK, I’ll bite. Why does the news blur license lates when they are readily visible in public?
The answer was in the post.

Quote:
never underestimate what kinds of evil is in this world.

Old 01-06-2024, 04:02 PM

Quote:

Here’s the thing- If you are concerned about serial numbers, license plates, photos, receipts or whatever-you follow your own conscious.

As for me? I’m really not all that concerned.
OK, cool.
Just something I noticed.

Old 01-06-2024, 05:19 PM

Quote:
The answer was in the post.
Oh, you mean recording plainly visible license plate numbers? How do the bad guys know which license plates to record, and what will they do with the information?

Old 01-06-2024, 08:02 PM

10,830 posts, read 4,506,581 times
Quote:

All of my immediate families PII has been stolen thanks to the large data breach via OPM.

lol you too eh? the OPM forward facing hack of all the Sf-80-something data? enough for black bart to get rvs in our name?

Im still using the free monitoring they provided

Old 01-06-2024, 09:12 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
It encompassed individuals that required security clearances. It roped a ton of people into the breach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting