Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2023, 12:29 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times

Advertisements

When we lived on a farm, we actually had some idiots erect a deer stand on our "posted" property. They were arrested, fined and made to take it down. They shot at one deer that was between the stand and our house. The round hit an outbuilding in our back yard. It was close to my kids' swingset.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2023, 07:16 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,890,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nalabama View Post
When I was attending the University of Alabama in the late Sixties I belonged to a very large Deer Hunting Camp over near the Mississippi border. One weekend Department of Conservation representatives came to our clubhouse and asked us to help them out with game management on a downstate conservation effort. They had what they called “dog deer” (very small full grown deer) that were overrunning the browse capacity on the conservation area they managed. They indicated we could help them by hunting the stunted deer by any method we chose (to include baiting) to reduce the deer population and re-establish the browse capacity in that management area. It was a long running project and I did not participate, but I can only assume that eventually it was successful. We have bountiful numbers of deer in Alabama to this day and I believe that hunting over bait has been allowed in this state wherever necessary to manage habitat and deer numbers.

This is very interesting. I'm 60 and have hunted in MS for all my life, but never heard of "dog deer." I have seen a few pics of them on FB, but haven't dived deep in the subject.

Old 12-25-2023, 10:01 PM

2,953 posts, read 2,899,017 times
If the stands are on their land there isn't much to say. There are a million properties in the US that bump up against prime deer hunting grain fields, hell you put a corn chucker out. Of course they're going to hunt that boarder.

That then begs the question of deer recovery, if the deer is shot on their land but runs onto yours.

That is not straight forward as it seems. You could say and probably want to say, no. If the deer runs onto your land you will not permit recovery. Believe me a lot of landowners have.

Well that turns into a problem that keeps on given. What would have ended up in a hunter shooting one deer turns into multiple. Each deer that runs onto your land just dies wasted and the hunter keeps hunting.

Old 12-26-2023, 09:58 AM

13,703 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
This is very interesting. I'm 60 and have hunted in MS for all my life, but never heard of "dog deer." I have seen a few pics of them on FB, but haven't dived deep in the subject.
It's a reference to their size. When I've never heard the term as such but have heard them compared to dogs regarding their size. When I first moved south I went hunting with a guy that said "Did you see that deer walk through?" Yes, yes I did. "Why didn't you shoot it?" Because it was the size of a Labrador I replied. "Heck, that's as big as they get around here."

Later I had a much bigger sample size for reference. A mature doe routinely was 75-85 lbs. Roughly the weight of a Lab.

Old 01-01-2024, 01:41 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I've got a family who (as of this year) has sole hunting rights on my 66 acres, surrounded by 3 other hunting properties. In exchange they are mowing and clearing, using their equipment. They have a feeder station with cameras. They're continuously investing time and effort improving my property and I love it.

All 3 of the other properties have deer stands on the very edge of my property, facing my property. 2 of these were just set up since the feeder went in.

I've talked to those two hunters and they assure me the stands are not on my property. But.... aren't they still hunting on my property?

I'm not going to make waves. I'm just looking for feedback.

I'm in WV and none of this is residential.
Move the feeder to a more interior portion of your land and set up cameras that can capture activity facing the offending treestands.

I have a game camera set up near a game trail that goes through my property. I had some youngsters I suspected were using my natural ground blind, so I set the camera in a manner that would flip to video if triggered. It will stay on for a prescribed time unless motion stopped.

It did confirm they were not trespassing.

Old 01-22-2024, 09:26 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,628,678 times
If their stand is right on the property line then go put up an obstacle blocking their view. Fence with a tarp, your own stand, wall. Possibilities are endless. No arguing, no bickering, just be smarter than they are.

Old 01-29-2024, 09:10 AM

23,530 posts, read 17,208,400 times
Put each hunter on trail cam, deer shot on your property file complaint with game warden.

Or simply post a sign on your land that 'you are on camera', you really don;t need the camera as long as they believe you have the camera, just the warning sign should be enough.

most states allow recovery of an animal on private property IF the hunter alerts the property owner.

You can always set up a stand opposing their stand and face on their property.

Usually neighbors will agree to what each will allow with regard to trespass.

Hang wind chimes on your property near their stands.

Some states also have laws against harassing hunters. NJ for example. believe it or not.

States that allow baiting make hunters more territorial and agitated about intrusion. Mine! Mine!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting