Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2024, 03:57 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,052,961 times

Advertisements

I was reading an article in Rifle's "Varmint" special about the .222 Remington, by Layne Simpson, who generally knows what he's writing about, and it turns out that the Army Marksmanship Unit built some Remington pump rifles in .222 Rem, with special heavy barrels, for shooting the Running Boar match, which sometimes requires 2 shots on a target that's only in view for 4 seconds.

In general I have had good luck with the Remington pump 742, mine is an older one in 35 Remington, which is not really a bench rest round, but it does as I have mentioned stay on a beer can out to 75 or so yards anyway, if I do my part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2024, 05:15 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,645,978 times
I had a 760 REM pump gamemaster. I regretted buying before I finished the transaction. I had my sights on a .243 Mauser with I forget the barrel manufacturer screwed to it. The place I was shopping at had an underground 100yd range, and since the Mauser and 760 were used I could shoot them. The Mauser shot 5 rounds on a dime. Slick as all get out, great stock and cheap. My buddy, Pancake, said ‘not big enough- you should buy the .30-06”.

Best group I could get at 100yds was 2”. My buddy said “good enough”. The 760 was cheap too so I got talked into it.

Yeah I took a lot of game with it but I spooked a lot of game with the rattling forearm. No amount of fiddling ever did away with that. And 150yds was my max range for accuracy with the ammo I tried. It kicked hard, the trigger sucked and it was as pretty as dogs rear end.

Nope. No pump action center fires ever gracing my safe again, and I still kick myself for not buying that .243.

Old 01-29-2024, 05:56 PM
Status: "Hello Darlin, Nice to see you - Conway Twitty" (set 6 days ago)

792 posts, read 373,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I had a 760 REM pump gamemaster. I regretted buying before I finished the transaction. I had my sights on a .243 Mauser with I forget the barrel manufacturer screwed to it. The place I was shopping at had an underground 100yd range, and since the Mauser and 760 were used I could shoot them. The Mauser shot 5 rounds on a dime. Slick as all get out, great stock and cheap. My buddy, Pancake, said ‘not big enough- you should buy the .30-06”.

Best group I could get at 100yds was 2”. My buddy said “good enough”. The 760 was cheap too so I got talked into it.

Yeah I took a lot of game with it but I spooked a lot of game with the rattling forearm. No amount of fiddling ever did away with that. And 150yds was my max range for accuracy with the ammo I tried. It kicked hard, the trigger sucked and it was as pretty as dogs rear end.

Nope. No pump action center fires ever gracing my safe again, and I still kick myself for not buying that .243.
I have never seen a pump action rifle. I don't believe they exist.

Old 01-29-2024, 07:47 PM

10,717 posts, read 5,655,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeisureSLarry View Post
I have never seen a pump action rifle. I don't believe they exist.
Seriously? A Google search for “Remington 760” will show you that you’re wrong.

Old 01-29-2024, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post

Well, as a dedicated western hunter who shoots mostly from prone or sitting (I guess) a pump action does not buy you anything. A guy who shoots from offhand a lot might like one.

And, you know, as Uncle Jeff said, a 2" group at 100 yards means your shot lands within one inch of your aiming point. If you can aim at a deer at 100 yards even and you KNOW where you want to place the bullet within 1" - I tip my hat to you sir. For the vast majority of deer hunting, a 2" rifle, although not bragging groups, is actually good enough, and if you can hold better from offhand then again I tip my hat to you.

Youi are right that the 760 trigger is about the same as an 870. On an 870 it's robustly good enough. On a rifle, not really. The forearm rattle is also something that would be damn hard to fix, although if I was an engineer working for Remington, assuming they ever build these again, that would be my #1 target.

Anyway I'm glad you use a conservative estimate of how far you can shoot before you run out of accuracy. If I owned a gun store and you came in, it would be a rare rifle that was not a bolt action I would show to you.

Old 01-29-2024, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
And my bad, I said 742, which is the automatic, the pump is a 760. They do indeed exist, I have one in my safe.

Old 01-29-2024, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
And my bad, I said 742, which is the automatic, the pump is a 760. They do indeed exist, I have one in my safe.
No worries. I was responding to LeisureSLarry.

Old 01-29-2024, 11:50 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,645,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Well, as a dedicated western hunter who shoots mostly from prone or sitting (I guess) a pump action does not buy you anything. A guy who shoots from offhand a lot might like one.

And, you know, as Uncle Jeff said, a 2" group at 100 yards means your shot lands within one inch of your aiming point. If you can aim at a deer at 100 yards even and you KNOW where you want to place the bullet within 1" - I tip my hat to you sir. For the vast majority of deer hunting, a 2" rifle, although not bragging groups, is actually good enough, and if you can hold better from offhand then again I tip my hat to you.

Youi are right that the 760 trigger is about the same as an 870. On an 870 it's robustly good enough. On a rifle, not really. The forearm rattle is also something that would be damn hard to fix, although if I was an engineer working for Remington, assuming they ever build these again, that would be my #1 target.

Anyway I'm glad you use a conservative estimate of how far you can shoot before you run out of accuracy. If I owned a gun store and you came in, it would be a rare rifle that was not a bolt action I would show to you.
Back then I stand hunted with my buddy up in a 30' perch stand in WV. He worked for Verizon and we had access to the used 'pole yard'. 6 #1 phone poles buried 6' in the ground. A nice 4x10 or 12' stand, lol. It was spacious. Ironically that buddy was 'Pancake' and he would get peeved when my forearm would rattle. I told him it was his fault for it, lol.

We overlooked a 300yd hay field from our perch to the next woodline, so yeah 300 yd shots were possible with the right equipment. However we had opportunities much closer. I would have never pulled the trigger at 300yds back then. Ironically for me that is a chip shot now. The last mule deer I bagged was at 405yds and I didn't think twice. Right in the heart from a good prone position.

The 760, although popular, had so many shortcomings it was literally my biggest firearm 'mistake'. Remember I said my 'best' group was 2". I had to assume I was on 'minute of pie plate' at 100yds. When my father-in-law sent me his hardly used Remington 722 chambered in .257 Roberts I immediately sold that clunkety pump and proceeded to knock the snail snot out of whitetails with that Bob. Easily 1" or less consistently if I did my part.

In fact the first buck I shot with the Bob I took these photos-

That 117gr corelokt performed better than the .30-06 180gr corelokt. Terminal performance was outstanding. And very little recoil. Perfect little whitetail cartridge.

Last edited by Threerun; 01-30-2024 at 12:12 AM..

Old 01-30-2024, 12:29 PM
Status: "Hello Darlin, Nice to see you - Conway Twitty" (set 6 days ago)

792 posts, read 373,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
No, I was being facetious. Point being that they are not very popular - I am not sure I ever handled one and I am a gun show kid, my dad was a dealer.

In all seriousness, are there any advantages to a pump action rifle? I cannot see any especially when targeting objects at distance.

Old 01-30-2024, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeisureSLarry View Post
No, I was being facetious. Point being that they are not very popular - I am not sure I ever handled one and I am a gun show kid, my dad was a dealer.

In all seriousness, are there any advantages to a pump action rifle? I cannot see any especially when targeting objects at distance.

Sometimes subtleties that are easy to distinguish in face to face conversation are lost when such communication is purely written.

As far as advantages? None. Not a single one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting