Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 04:02 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,052,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Arrghhh finally got a stuck case. I need to quit messin around with military brass that's all blown out. The rim on this case separated. Stuck case kit on the way and this die set will be down for 10 days.
I have wondered if a chip or two of dry ice, dropped into the stuck brass, might shrink it enough that you could get it out, pushing with a brass brush from the neck end? Would have to disassemble the decap/expand rod, but...

If you try this, be safe, eye protection, hand protection, don't wear footwear that could hold dry ice next to your foot (pants inside boots, etc.).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2017, 05:20 PM

19,036 posts, read 13,944,967 times
First time working this load yesterday at the range. I'm very happy with it. It's a .30-06 Mossberg Patriot, 180gn Hornady A-Max, 48.5gn IMR 4064.

Gonna load a bunch and refine it some more. That's off a front rest only by the way. I need a lead sled bad!
Attached Thumbnails
Reloaders, check in-img_2144.jpg  

Old 06-08-2017, 07:19 PM

10,717 posts, read 5,655,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Arrghhh finally got a stuck case. I need to quit messin around with military brass that's all blown out. The rim on this case separated. Stuck case kit on the way and this die set will be down for 10 days.
Did it just tear through the rim, or was it a complete case head seperation? If the latter, a stuck case remover won't solve the problem.

Old 06-08-2017, 08:10 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,912,049 times
Quote:
Not sure that you are aware that the stuck case kit is nothing but a single tap with a corresponding bolt with washers. You can make one far cheaper at Harbor Freight and best of all, no waiting. If you already have a tap and die set, you're half way there. Just drill the primer pocket, tap it, and screw the case out of the die. I run the die into the press half way to hold it in place and run the bolt with washers from the bottom. All you're doing is breaking it free. Then it'll all but fall out. You might have to pull the stem on the die and unscrew the expander plug using the neck to hold it. Once you have it all apart you can cut the case open for the expander plug.
FWIW, the military brass is not issue. Apparently the lube you are using is either not doing the job or you're not using enough of it. The only thing I use anymore is sizing wax. I don't care how beat up the case, sizing wax means no problems with stuck cases. I've used it for the last 10 years and no stuck cases in all that time. That's probably close to 100,000 rounds of military brass that's gone thru the press. I load for my brother who is a trapper by trade and he shoots a lot. I load for several of the ranchers too, at no charge. And then there are the Garands, 03's and M1as in the vault along with numerous ARs.

Old 06-12-2017, 01:11 PM

50,251 posts, read 47,011,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Did it just tear through the rim, or was it a complete case head seperation? If the latter, a stuck case remover won't solve the problem.
the rim just broke away from the case. Case head separation is usually from either a blown out chamber or reloading one too many times.

Old 06-12-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Not sure that you are aware that the stuck case kit is nothing but a single tap with a corresponding bolt with washers. You can make one far cheaper at Harbor Freight and best of all, no waiting. If you already have a tap and die set, you're half way there. Just drill the primer pocket, tap it, and screw the case out of the die. I run the die into the press half way to hold it in place and run the bolt with washers from the bottom. All you're doing is breaking it free. Then it'll all but fall out. You might have to pull the stem on the die and unscrew the expander plug using the neck to hold it. Once you have it all apart you can cut the case open for the expander plug.
FWIW, the military brass is not issue. Apparently the lube you are using is either not doing the job or you're not using enough of it. The only thing I use anymore is sizing wax. I don't care how beat up the case, sizing wax means no problems with stuck cases. I've used it for the last 10 years and no stuck cases in all that time. That's probably close to 100,000 rounds of military brass that's gone thru the press. I load for my brother who is a trapper by trade and he shoots a lot. I load for several of the ranchers too, at no charge. And then there are the Garands, 03's and M1as in the vault along with numerous ARs.
Oh, it's the brass. This stuff was apparently shot through a very loose chamber. I can probably resize most of it if I use a long cheater bar and reinforce my bench to take the force.

Not worth it.

Old 06-12-2017, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I have wondered if a chip or two of dry ice, dropped into the stuck brass, might shrink it enough that you could get it out, pushing with a brass brush from the neck end? Would have to disassemble the decap/expand rod, but...

If you try this, be safe, eye protection, hand protection, don't wear footwear that could hold dry ice next to your foot (pants inside boots, etc.).

This stuff is so blown out it looks like it should have had case separation. I use imperial sizing wax and in 30+ years of loading I've never had one stick. I can't remember exactly the bulge but I had to run the micrometer way out to even measure where the bulge is.

Old 07-09-2017, 01:40 PM

166 posts, read 240,773 times
"I don't really see myself shooting cast bullets. 90% of my shooting is done in an indoor range that doesn't allow their use so that is probably out for me. Of course, they don't allow reloads either so I'll be breaking that rule anyways."

I think you are referring to jacketed bullets (not cast) as some indoor ranges don't have sufficient traps for stopping them. I have shot cast bullets in dozens of indoor ranges without issue. I am surprised that they don't allow reloads though...

I have used a Dillon 550B for over 20 years and recommend their progressive press without reservation. Their lifetime, no BS, warranty is renowned and can't be beat. As a result I buy as much as I can from them.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:32 PM

817 posts, read 921,824 times
Just got started a few months ago. Hornady single stage press, with 38/357 and 9mm Luger dies. It took me a couple months to get started because I decided to build my own bench.

I don't even own a gun but my son does, and I go shooting with him. I became interested in reloading because I saw the equipment in Cabelas and wondered why none of the different communities on Walking Dead had never found reloading equipment on their supply runs.

Old 07-24-2017, 08:47 AM

54,494 posts, read 33,859,427 times
I load/reload for my Colt 1911 .45 ACP, and a while back I noticed that this particular weapon requires very precise case trim length, and most importantly the overall cartridge length and crimping of the cartridges. I was experiencing problems with the feeding of .45 ACP cartridges, after reviewing a few things and taking the time to make sure the various cartridge dimensions are set to exact standards, I never saw that problem again. In the past, I never paid attention to the trim length in the .45 ACP and my other semi-auto pistol cartridges, although I never had any such problems with the feeding of 9mm and .40 S&W cartridges, I started paying attention to those case/cartridge dimensions. It's more time consuming but it's worth it. [/color]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting