Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2024, 06:07 AM

2,260 posts, read 4,771,596 times

Advertisements

Thanksgiving '23 we lost grandma, and just a month ago April '24 we lost grandpa. I never considered myself that close to them, we'd visit when we could but grandpa and I weren't much for conversation. Then it kind of hit me last night when we had an estate sale at their house last night we were neighbors most my life, we went to the same church across the street most my life, I worked with my dad (who passed in '19) my grandpa for about 10 years. Last night I was loading up my truck and it hit me that I'll never get to just walk across the backyard and walk into my grandparents house again. This is the house that my grandpa built in the 60's and the house that both my grandparents drew their last breath in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2024, 10:05 AM

2,898 posts, read 1,842,343 times
Loss of loved ones, so sorry. Condolences.

Being a Vintage female, acceptance of reality can be difficult, sad, possibly not appreciating what one has until it is no more.

For myself, you remind me to journal, write my feelings down. Acknowledge what I'm feeling.You may throw it away later. Reminds me when I was angry ? years ago, I wrote what I was feeling. Never so concise in all my born days !

Reminds me of an adage, Yesterday is gone, tomorrow is the future, today is the present, enjoy the gift of today !

Thank you for your Post.

Old 05-15-2024, 10:36 AM

2,184 posts, read 1,086,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
Thanksgiving '23 we lost grandma, and just a month ago April '24 we lost grandpa. I never considered myself that close to them, we'd visit when we could but grandpa and I weren't much for conversation. Then it kind of hit me last night when we had an estate sale at their house last night we were neighbors most my life, we went to the same church across the street most my life, I worked with my dad (who passed in '19) my grandpa for about 10 years. Last night I was loading up my truck and it hit me that I'll never get to just walk across the backyard and walk into my grandparents house again. This is the house that my grandpa built in the 60's and the house that both my grandparents drew their last breath in.
First...condolences, I'm sorry for your loss. We all experience loss and grief in unique ways despite what the "literature" says we're supposed to feel and when.

The aspect of grief you brought up as it relates to houses really resonates. Sometimes it can mean the world to us just knowing we have a "place" where we can simply sit in relative peace and love, even if we're not having brilliant conversations and interactions with family members therein. Losing those places can be unexpectedly very, very sad. It was for me. Very.

I was moderately close to my grandfather (he died when I was 12), but a lot of the time I cherish was just sitting in my grandparents' apartment at the kitchen table playing gin rummy in mostly silence.

Old 05-26-2024, 06:45 PM

1,208 posts, read 943,882 times
For many people of my generation who grew up with phone calls as our primary communication technology, the loss of one phone number after another hits hard. So many people who used to call you and your spirits would lift to hear their voice - never again. My grandmothers and parents who would always get such a glad note in their voice when they realized who was calling. That’s sort of irreplaceable, those few people you can absolutely count on to sound happy when they realize it’s you on the phone. You come to some type of understanding of how lucky you were to have this in your life at all, but you still miss them. I’m sorry for your loss.

Old 05-27-2024, 04:13 PM

2,184 posts, read 1,086,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upnorthretiree View Post
For many people of my generation who grew up with phone calls as our primary communication technology, the loss of one phone number after another hits hard. So many people who used to call you and your spirits would lift to hear their voice - never again. My grandmothers and parents who would always get such a glad note in their voice when they realized who was calling. That’s sort of irreplaceable, those few people you can absolutely count on to sound happy when they realize it’s you on the phone. You come to some type of understanding of how lucky you were to have this in your life at all, but you still miss them. I’m sorry for your loss.
I can't bring myself to delete address book (google) entries for certain people that have passed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning