Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2024, 11:25 PM

223 posts, read 434,392 times

Advertisements

One day before his 58th birthday, he left me. We had been married 31 and a half years. He had liver disease (from drinking), then cancer. I thought I was prepared for his death, because for the last year and a half before his death, he went from okay to soon to be dying. A couple of weeks before his death, I asked what he wanted for end of life. He said cremated, scattered ashes on a road chosen by him, no memorial. I knew my MIL and SIL, whom I love deeply, would want a memorial, so I arranged one - despite his request to not do it.

During the process of arranging the memorial, I created a slideshow of his pictures throughout his life, with music accompanying the slideshow. Since I knew he was dying, and had been for a year and a half, I had time to prepare for his death. But when creating the slideshow, I lost it. I had been okay before that. But, during the slideshow creation for his memorial, something happened, and I fell in love with him all over again, just like I did 33 years ago. I always loved him throughout our years together, but creating that video...it was like I fell in love with him all over again. And, I fell hard. You know when you've been with the same person for over half your life, and you get comfortable with them? Looking at those pictures...it's almost like he was just a dream that i never had in real life. But, we were together for 33 years.

When he began to get bad, and needed walking assistance, I used to put his walker or scooter, or wheelchair in our little car. For our outings that he could go on. He enjoyed those immensely. When he got really bad, and needed more than one walking assistance item, I decided to get an SUV with a hatch, in order to haul all that he needed. He was very excited about the SUV. and enjoyed looking at the pictures online. I got the SUV the second day he was in the hospital. He was in the hospital 11 days before he died, He never even got to ride in the SUV while he was still alive. I took his ashes from Vegas home in the new SUV. So, now, I'm driving a giant SUV without him as a passenger. By myself.

I am so in love with him all over again, and I miss him so much. During his drinking days (20 years of our 30+ years of marriage) I didn't like him sometimes, but I never stopped loving him. And, right now, I feel like he's a dream companion I never met.

Thanks for reading my post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2024, 04:31 AM

451 posts, read 421,454 times
Wow very nice post and love story.
Sorry about losing him. You were the wife of dreams.
Hang in there

Old 01-27-2024, 05:12 AM

462 posts, read 284,518 times
My condolences.
Just goes to show in a marriage you take it for better and worst.

Old 01-27-2024, 08:08 AM

6,968 posts, read 4,809,652 times
So sorry for your loss. Beautiful tribute.

Old 01-27-2024, 08:17 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Beautiful tribute. I am very sorry you lost him.

Old 01-27-2024, 05:38 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
May I offer my condolences in this loss.

May I also give a nod of approval for your validation that love does not cease after the body ceases.
That is what I garnered from your tribute.

He and you both created this love story, you did well in rekindling that adoration.

Old 01-27-2024, 05:43 PM

223 posts, read 434,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
May I offer my condolences in this loss.

May I also give a nod of approval for your validation that love does not cease after the body ceases.
That is what I garnered from your tribute.

He and you both created this love story, you did well in rekindling that adoration.

Thank you. I hope to find him in the next life.

Old 01-27-2024, 06:18 PM

9,398 posts, read 11,147,212 times
Thanks for the wonderful life story. Alcoholism is not a pleasant thing to live with. As you know so well.

Loving someone is such a fine gift. To love and be loved, that's a big part of The Good Life.

And then...someone dies first. He died first, OP picks up the pieces, cherishes the memories, makes the memorial, and goes on one day at a time.

I'm sorry for your loss, Chaindrive. I hope that your husband had a good death, as we called it in hospice. Everybody dies. Somebody dies first. Those of us left here on earth talk about it, and about life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning