Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2023, 11:21 PM

15 posts, read 11,259 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
We are planning a move to Simpsonville next summer from MN
Anyone else here moved from that part of the country. Looking forward to milder winters. Any other things one should be prepared for. Family of four with a middle school and an elementary school age kids.
Also, had an option for Charlotte but decided in favor of Greenville.
I somehow always thought Greenville has that small town feel vs Charlotte being typical spread out suburb. I could be totally off.
Is Greenville as saturated as Charlotte or is it still upcoming and has more room to appreciate.
Look forward to your thoughts. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2023, 11:59 AM

5,484 posts, read 8,315,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingFromMN0 View Post
Hi all,
Anyone else here moved from that part of the country. Looking forward to milder winters. Any other things one should be prepared for. Family of four with a middle school and an elementary school age kids.
I somehow always thought Greenville has that small town feel vs Charlotte being typical spread out suburb. I could be totally off.
Is Greenville as saturated as Charlotte or is it still upcoming and has more room to appreciate.
I would say while Greenville isn't as large as Charlotte it isn't a small town. You can't go by city limit population here. Simpsonville's downtown looks small town like, but it is very much so a sprawling Greenville suburb with congestion in spots. Have you visited the area?

Old 11-26-2023, 02:07 PM

144 posts, read 146,102 times
Moved to Greer (right next to Greenville) about a year ago now. The meto area has a lot to offer and more people than you would think.
Before you make up your mind, do visit any area before you move and spend a little time there getting a good idea what they are like.

Old 11-26-2023, 03:32 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,441,179 times
OP: you have past posts about moving to Georgia. Did you move there? What did you like or dislike about it . . . It may give insight so others can advise you with regard to those traits in Greenville.

Best of luck.

Old 11-27-2023, 02:48 PM

@DSMRE & w7kkk,
I haven't visited the area yet. I am planning something in the last week of December. I have a cousin in Charlotte area. So will base there and make a couple of days trip to Greenville area. Of course a few days isn't enough to learn everything about a new place. So I am replying to the community to educate myself.

@LynchburgLover,
You are correct. There was a time where my work would have moved me to Atlanta but then things change a bit and post covid they are Ok with me not reloacting to Atlanta.

I am curious on why Greenville isn't as popular in terms of population growth when compared to Charlotte or RTP. Is it mainly because of limited fortune 500 companies and/or larger employers ? That will leave only permanently remote workforce as potential movers to Greenville. What's your assessment.

Last edited by MovingFromMN0; 11-27-2023 at 02:51 PM.. Reason: Typos

Old 11-28-2023, 12:13 AM

615 posts, read 536,419 times
I live in the Charlotte area so I am not as familiar with Greenville as those that live there. The metro (csa) populations of Charlotte, Raleigh Durham Cary, and Greenville Spartanburg Anderson are 3.3 million, 2.3 million, and 1.6 million respectively. The Charlotte and Raleigh metros are both among the top 10 fastest growing in the US in population increase. By contrast, the Minneapolis metro (csa) population is 4 million.

Charlotte can attribute its rapid growth to its large hub airport, high paying jobs associated with banking/ finance and growing IT sector. Plus it has a pretty diversified economy. In addition, nine Fortune 500 companies and 17 Firtune 1000 companies call Charlotte home. The RDU area can attribute its rapid growth to its 3 universities, state capital, and the RTP. It too has a growing IT economy. Plus the two areas in NC are larger and began explosive growth earlier than Grenville and are probably more well known.

The Greenville area seems to be a great area that residents enjoy. Of course, my thoughts on Greenville are primarily derived from reading this forum for 15 years. I think the Greenville area is probably a bit more of a blue collar work force than the two regions in NC. Therefore, the median income in Greenville area would be slightly less. However, I have read on this forum that the Greenville area has a sizable workforce associated with engineering.

The Greenville area is slightly more conservative than the two regions of NC. But to be honest, I doubt that people bring up politics or religion unless asked about either subject.

The two NC regions have experienced large numbers of transplants from the northeastern cities for many years, and I don’t think that is the case with Greenville. Greenville’s rapid growth is a more recent phenomenon.

According to the US Census Bureau, the Charlotte CSA added approximately 100k residents from July 2020 to July 2022, the Raleigh CSA added around 90k during the same time frame, and the Greenville CSA added approximately 50k new residents.

Greenville, from what I have read, is a great place to live. So, choosing among the three regions is simply your preference. I have visited Greenville a number of times. It has an award winning downtown.

But with a visit to the three regions, it is pretty apparent that there is a distinct difference in the urbanity and size of the three regions.

While the three regions are southern, the two NC regions will have a less southern flavor. That could be good or bad - depending on your preference.

The demographics of Charlotte’s city population is 41 percent white, 35 black, 14 percent hispanic, and 7 percent Asian. Raleigh’s city makeup is 60 percent white, 19 percent black, 8 percent hispanic, and 6 percent Asian. In Greenville’s city, the demographics are 65 percent white, 23 percent black, two plus non-Hispanic 2.4 percent, Hispanic 2.3, and Asian 2 percent.

So, it really depends on what you are looking for. I think that you could be happy in any of the three regions. But choosing the region that more suits your tastes will probably result in a better quality of life.

Last edited by The QC; 11-28-2023 at 12:40 AM.. Reason: Added data

Old 11-28-2023, 09:44 AM

That was great info @The QC.
I am myself into IT but not directly developing code. Currently I am working remotely and taking this opportunity to relocate on my own for better weather & quality of life.
You are spot on about NC regions finance & tech opportunities.
A part of me slightly worry about not finding another opportunity in Greenville area when & if I am in the job market again as companies are not allowing remote work as much as they did during Covid time. My current experience won't fit into manufacturing very well. That's the only hesitation I have if any.

Old 11-28-2023, 10:38 AM

5,484 posts, read 8,315,620 times
While the growth here may not be as much as Charlotte or Raleigh, it is still growing fairly rapidly. I would say there is a fair amount of opportunity here.

Old 11-29-2023, 08:04 PM
Status: "dreaming of Glacier National Park" (set 8 days ago)

721 posts, read 341,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The QC View Post
I live in the Charlotte area so I am not as familiar with Greenville as those that live there. The metro (csa) populations of Charlotte, Raleigh Durham Cary, and Greenville Spartanburg Anderson are 3.3 million, 2.3 million, and 1.6 million respectively. The Charlotte and Raleigh metros are both among the top 10 fastest growing in the US in population increase. By contrast, the Minneapolis metro (csa) population is 4 million.

Charlotte can attribute its rapid growth to its large hub airport, high paying jobs associated with banking/ finance and growing IT sector. Plus it has a pretty diversified economy. In addition, nine Fortune 500 companies and 17 Firtune 1000 companies call Charlotte home. The RDU area can attribute its rapid growth to its 3 universities, state capital, and the RTP. It too has a growing IT economy. Plus the two areas in NC are larger and began explosive growth earlier than Grenville and are probably more well known.

The Greenville area seems to be a great area that residents enjoy. Of course, my thoughts on Greenville are primarily derived from reading this forum for 15 years. I think the Greenville area is probably a bit more of a blue collar work force than the two regions in NC. Therefore, the median income in Greenville area would be slightly less. However, I have read on this forum that the Greenville area has a sizable workforce associated with engineering.

The Greenville area is slightly more conservative than the two regions of NC. But to be honest, I doubt that people bring up politics or religion unless asked about either subject.

The two NC regions have experienced large numbers of transplants from the northeastern cities for many years, and I don’t think that is the case with Greenville. Greenville’s rapid growth is a more recent phenomenon.

According to the US Census Bureau, the Charlotte CSA added approximately 100k residents from July 2020 to July 2022, the Raleigh CSA added around 90k during the same time frame, and the Greenville CSA added approximately 50k new residents.

Greenville, from what I have read, is a great place to live. So, choosing among the three regions is simply your preference. I have visited Greenville a number of times. It has an award winning downtown.

But with a visit to the three regions, it is pretty apparent that there is a distinct difference in the urbanity and size of the three regions.

While the three regions are southern, the two NC regions will have a less southern flavor. That could be good or bad - depending on your preference.

The demographics of Charlotte’s city population is 41 percent white, 35 black, 14 percent hispanic, and 7 percent Asian. Raleigh’s city makeup is 60 percent white, 19 percent black, 8 percent hispanic, and 6 percent Asian. In Greenville’s city, the demographics are 65 percent white, 23 percent black, two plus non-Hispanic 2.4 percent, Hispanic 2.3, and Asian 2 percent.

So, it really depends on what you are looking for. I think that you could be happy in any of the three regions. But choosing the region that more suits your tastes will probably result in a better quality of life.

Greenville's been growing for decades. It was called a New South city back in the 1940s.

Keep in mind the new south cities were the ones that flipped Republican first back in the day due to transplants coming down due to industrialization. It is odd people try to associate the more conservative areas today as more southern. FDR dominated Greenville and South Carolina in the 1930s. Nearly 100% of the vote. The Old South went for FDR and similar. I think everybody agrees a majority of people in Greenville are not like minded ancestors of FDR. Charlotte and Raleigh have more FDR philosophical ancestors.

Last edited by LakeMan45; 11-29-2023 at 08:14 PM..

Old 11-29-2023, 08:31 PM
Status: "dreaming of Glacier National Park" (set 8 days ago)

721 posts, read 341,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingFromMN0 View Post
Hi all,
Out of curiousity, how did you land on Simponsville if you have never been to Greenville? It doesn't seem like Simpsonville would be a household name up in MN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area