Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 06:26 AM

4,600 posts, read 6,007,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
There was a post recently on this forum stating the Greenville Trader Joe's is just meeting expectations (of course, take any forum information with a grain of salt - I imagine a sizable percentage of previous business was from Western NC residents - a new TJ's recently opened in Asheville) - based on this, I wouldn't expect TJ's to expand in the Upstate anytime in the future
I have always heard grocers say people spend most of their grocery $ at the grocer that's closest to their home.
The Asheville TJ's is located DT and in a residential area isn't it? That makes it much more convenient for surrounding residents to make multiple trips to pick up things like ready to eat type foods daily. I would make more trips to TJ's if it were closer to my neighborhood or in a less congested area but the Greenville location is a pain to get to pick up items every few days for many and its not really surrounded immediately by neighborhoods. Hopefully they add a more central (easier to get to) location in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 07:09 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,841,818 times
Living in Mauldin, I'm amazed by the choices available in supermarkets. I have literally a dozen supermarkets to choose from within a 15 minute drive.

Where I grew up in northwestern New Jersey there were 2-3 supermarkets you could get to within a 20 minute drive, 2 of them were the same kind of store (ShopRite), and 1 was not all that nice.

Old 04-11-2014, 03:49 PM

843 posts, read 1,431,124 times
Quote:
There was a post recently on this forum stating the Greenville Trader Joe's is just meeting expectations (of course, take any forum information with a grain of salt - I imagine a sizable percentage of previous business was from Western NC residents - a new TJ's recently opened in Asheville) - based on this, I wouldn't expect TJ's to expand in the Upstate anytime in the future
The OP was about grocery stores open in the county. Trader Joe's is open.

Old 04-11-2014, 03:57 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcatp View Post
You forgot Trader Joe's
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
I have always heard grocers say people spend most of their grocery $ at the grocer that's closest to their home.
The Asheville TJ's is located DT and in a residential area isn't it? That makes it much more convenient for surrounding residents to make multiple trips to pick up things like ready to eat type foods daily. I would make more trips to TJ's if it were closer to my neighborhood or in a less congested area but the Greenville location is a pain to get to pick up items every few days for many and its not really surrounded immediately by neighborhoods. Hopefully they add a more central (easier to get to) location in the future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcatp View Post
The OP was about grocery stores open in the county. Trader Joe's is open.
I have never stepped inside a Trader Joe's. As drfrankin noted the store is meeting expectations, business is not enough to warrant an additional location in Greenville or other immediate areas.

What is the size of a Trader Joe's store? The Greenville store seems small from the exterior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
Living in Mauldin, I'm amazed by the choices available in supermarkets. I have literally a dozen supermarkets to choose from within a 15 minute drive.

Where I grew up in northwestern New Jersey there were 2-3 supermarkets you could get to within a 20 minute drive, 2 of them were the same kind of store (ShopRite), and 1 was not all that nice.
I know Mauldin has Bi-Lo, Ingle's and Publix. If you drive out of the area, you have access to Trader Joe's, Walmart and Whole Foods.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:12 PM

5,159 posts, read 7,346,591 times
I would like to see Meijer stores expand into the Southeast. They are large discount supercenters similar to Walmart, but nicer. Good grocery selection. Their nearest store is in Richmond, Kentucky right up I-75. A southern expansion would logically take them down 75 into Knoxville, Chatanooga, and Atlanta. With stores also in Asheville, Greenville, and Charlotte. They are mainly located in Michigan, Indianna, Ohio, and Kentucky.

Old 12-16-2014, 02:44 PM

126 posts, read 199,801 times
Word on the street according to Upstate Business Journal...Harris-Teeter is coming to Greenville on Augusta Road.

Old 12-16-2014, 05:51 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
I would like to see Meijer stores expand into the Southeast. They are large discount supercenters similar to Walmart, but nicer. Good grocery selection. Their nearest store is in Richmond, Kentucky right up I-75. A southern expansion would logically take them down 75 into Knoxville, Chatanooga, and Atlanta. With stores also in Asheville, Greenville, and Charlotte. They are mainly located in Michigan, Indianna, Ohio, and Kentucky.
When I was a kid my mother shopped at a Kroger store & the original Meijer location. It's still family owned. I just don't see them moving into another region. I do think that Meijer was one of several chains studied by Bob Ingle before switching to the large store format.

Old 12-16-2014, 07:18 PM

The nearest Meijer to Greenville is in Richmond, Kentucky right beside I-75.

Old 12-16-2014, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvlscrkeva View Post
Word on the street according to Upstate Business Journal...Harris-Teeter is coming to Greenville on Augusta Road.
Happy to hear Harris Teeter is returning. But what about additional locations?

Old 12-16-2014, 10:24 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
Default Kroger and Harris Teeter in the Greenville, South Carolina Area

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvlscrkeva View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Happy to hear Harris Teeter is returning. But what about additional locations?
It would not make sense to re-enter a market with one store in a specific trade area. If Kroger and Harris Teeter intend to be dominant in the Greenville area and the upstate South Carolina region, it will need to add several stores. Either stores will be added organically through new construction, or stores will be acquired by piecemeal or as a chain from a present competitor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area