Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2023, 07:46 AM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times

Advertisements

I would suggest a beach cruiser bike with a minimum of 5 gears. The tires are fat and comfortable and the addition of the gears makes it easier to gain speed or climb hills. The sturdy frame makes it easy to add a front and or rear rack for carrying things. The upright seating position makes it easier for the rider to see the traffic around them. Add a rear view mirror on the handle bars to see vehicles approaching from behind. Add a good front and rear light for night time driving. Use reflective vest and helmet to increase your visibility to drivers on the road in both day and night time driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2023, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaidboss View Post
The shift in bike manufacturing is a bit of a surprise, right? China producing 75% of bikes, and the change in materials from steel to aluminum and carbon fiber. I agree, it's counterintuitive.new technology bikes are cool, but you're right, the energy and resources that go into them kind of negate the eco-benefits.
There are some bike makers in USA but they tend to be higher end and lower volume manufacturers. The low cost mass produced bikes have virtually all moved to China,…even Schwinn.

https://allamerican.org/lists/bikes/

Old 08-26-2023, 06:23 AM

4,537 posts, read 6,795,938 times
I have a variety of bikes I haven't ridden in several years. I used to be an avid rider but was no longer able to sit on the seat without significant discomfort. I am investigating seat options to get back into cycling. I walk 7 to 10 miles per day but am looking to increase my aerobic activity level with cycling.

One thing that I find disturbing is the trend I have observed of young kids riding electric bikes, some of which are fully electric requiring no pedaling at all. We have a growing obesity problem developing in kids and the health benefits and habits of bike riding is being negated by the technology.

Old 08-27-2023, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
I have a variety of bikes I haven't ridden in several years. I used to be an avid rider but was no longer able to sit on the seat without significant discomfort. I am investigating seat options to get back into cycling. I walk 7 to 10 miles per day but am looking to increase my aerobic activity level with cycling.

One thing that I find disturbing is the trend I have observed of young kids riding electric bikes, some of which are fully electric requiring no pedaling at all. We have a growing obesity problem developing in kids and the health benefits and habits of bike riding is being negated by the technology.
I believe these electric bikes are too fast for the tires they have and for inexperienced riders. They should take kids of certain ages and have them ride a bike as fast as possible. Use that as a guide to set the maximum speed possible. For adult bikes, do the same. If fitted with wider tires then consider setting a slightly higher maximum speed. Sadly young riders will ride these electric bikes at max speed which can be more than double the max speed an average rider can pedal. Hitting a pot hole or uneven pavement at this speed can result in an accident that may require a visit to the ER or funeral home.

I find an upright beach cruiser type bike is more comfortable. My problem is tailbone was broken in high school. There are seats with extra padding and springs. There are also seats made to fit the hip bones with a gap for the tailbone. The upright seated position feels better for my back and I can more easily see the traffic around me. Some cruisers either come with gears or a pro shop can add gears.

Old 10-04-2023, 04:16 PM

966 posts, read 514,798 times
Bikes have been mainly made in China for ages. If you've ever tried to ride a heavy steel frame bike up a steep grade, you would understand why they make them out of lighter materials. Bikes, all bikes, are good for the planet because its one less car or truck on the roads.

Metals are not that bad for the planet anyway, they're nothing compared to the lithium strip mining that is destroying the earth. I ride an eBike, it's unfortunate that's happening, but again, my focus is on the positive effect bikes have compared to cars or trucks. Keeps me in shape too. With everything there is some form of pollution, you just shoot for the best that can be done.

Old 10-15-2023, 10:02 AM

7,234 posts, read 5,114,062 times
Climate anxiety is inversely proportional to knowledge base. The more you know about the facts, the more you realize it isn't a problem....It's not "The Deniers" who need to be convinced otherwise. Religious zealots blindly follow the narrative on faith alone, and nearly impossible to change their unsubstantiated beliefs.

https://link.springer.com/article/10...84-023-03518-z

Old 10-15-2023, 10:40 AM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
With everything there is some form of pollution, you just shoot for the best that can be done.
Bears repeating. The debate is at times couched in terms of "if the alternate solution isn't perfect, we shouldn't even try".

Old 10-18-2023, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Climate anxiety is inversely proportional to knowledge base. The more you know about the facts, the more you realize it isn't a problem....It's not "The Deniers" who need to be convinced otherwise. Religious zealots blindly follow the narrative on faith alone, and nearly impossible to change their unsubstantiated beliefs.

https://link.springer.com/article/10...84-023-03518-z
Sort of like the vegans who don’t want people to use animals for food while not realizing how many animals are killed in the production of crops.

An all or nothing approach is not only wrong, it serves to alienate the very people they’re trying to get to listen to them. The blow back from this includes people going out of their way to antagonize. In the case of rabid environmentalists, their opposites will buy large diesel vehicles and tune it to blow clouds of smoke, buy bug engine muscle cars, or some other form of opposition.

Old 10-18-2023, 08:13 AM

12,831 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Bears repeating. The debate is at times couched in terms of "if the alternate solution isn't perfect, we shouldn't even try".
I'm not sure it's that so much as "Does the alternative even work? Does the alternative actually make things worse? Does the alternative have side effects that cause other problems?" The last is one of the big ones such as kudzu in the American southeast or rabbits in Australia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living