Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 10:14 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times

Advertisements

I hope you are aware that Chinese food in America is not Chinese at all.
In fact, authentic Chinese food almost looks nothing like American Chinese food. You might find a handful of authentic places scattered across America, but I don't think OP is talking about them.

And yes, I will continue eating Chinese, like I am eating Russian, Cuban, N. Korean etc.
People have very little to do with their government action.

Old 05-28-2017, 10:39 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,020,552 times
I won't be able to resist beef and broccoli and fried rice. I just won't be able to.

Old 05-28-2017, 10:40 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,020,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I hope you are aware that Chinese food in America is not Chinese at all.
In fact, authentic Chinese food almost looks nothing like American Chinese food. You might find a handful of authentic places scattered across America, but I don't think OP is talking about them.

And yes, I will continue eating Chinese, like I am eating Russian, Cuban, N. Korean etc.
People have very little to do with their government action.
Yup. We watched a documentary about this. They gave a few Chinese people fortune cookies, and they were all like, "WTH is this?"

It's funny because fortune cookies are made in America when just about everything else is made in China lol.

Old 05-28-2017, 10:41 PM

3,565 posts, read 1,920,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
Yup. We watched a documentary about this. They gave a few Chinese people fortune cookies, and they were all like, "WTH is this?"

It's funny because fortune cookies are made in America when just about everything else is made in China lol.
I went to a fortune cookie factory in San Francisco.
It was interesting
Also, a little sad

Old 05-28-2017, 10:55 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,450,446 times
Yes.

The Chinese government does not equal Chinese people. Chinese restaurants in the US are American businesses. Does not matter the ethnicity of the workers or the origin of the food.

The last thing we need is to return to the 1940s mentality against German-Americans and Japanese-Americans. Trying to justify boycotting Chinese restaurants because we're at war with China is like trying to justify the interment of Japanese-Americans during WW2. Its close minded and bigoted against the ethnic Chinese who are proud to live in this country.

Old 05-28-2017, 11:04 PM

Sometimes I wish the Fortune Cookie quotes were less lame. They used to be more entertaining, but now I am not even opening them anymore.

Old 05-28-2017, 11:13 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,224,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
I personally haven't come to any definite conclusions about this question. But the harsh reality would be that we would be killing ethnic Chinese as well as them killing us. That is the reality of war plain and simple. I wouldn't expect Chinese restaurant workers to consider me in a friendly way since they would have a sound reason not to like me. The worst scenario would be an attempt on their part to contaminate ones food. I enjoy Chinese food but I think that if there was a war between us and them that I would think twice before eating in a Chinese restaurant.
America has always been diverse. People forget, prior to "white" being uber monolithic, people took pride in their national heiritage. French Americans, German Americans, Irish American, and so on. The concern of how German Americans would feel was a very real thing leading up to WWI. There really weren't any problems though. And in general, that's always been the case. Going to war with country A does not mean all the immigrants or ethnic decedents from country A suddenly have an intense desire to kill.

Old 05-28-2017, 11:18 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
We don't eat in Chinese restaurants now so I doubt we would start for that reason. My husband says that Chinese food being good is an oxymoron.

Old 05-28-2017, 11:40 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
I personally haven't come to any definite conclusions about this question. But the harsh reality would be that we would be killing ethnic Chinese as well as them killing us. That is the reality of war plain and simple. I wouldn't expect Chinese restaurant workers to consider me in a friendly way since they would have a sound reason not to like me. The worst scenario would be an attempt on their part to contaminate ones food. I enjoy Chinese food but I think that if there was a war between us and them that I would think twice before eating in a Chinese restaurant.

Why wouldn't I? I'm not fighting their food. If I was fighting Japan I'll still eat sushi.

Old 05-28-2017, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
We don't eat in Chinese restaurants now so I doubt we would start for that reason. My husband says that Chinese food being good is an oxymoron.
Cheap Chinese buffet, most likely, but there are some great Chinese restaurants and their food is worth try. Here are some I tried myself - like Wynn, TAO and Hakkasan in LV, La Chine or STARR in NY, Dim Sum in Glendale CA, Mission Chinese in SF, China Cafe and Yang Chow in LA - all great food!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates