Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 02:27 AM

93 posts, read 86,682 times

Advertisements

I have always found it ridiculous that suicide is "illegal" and people that wish to kill themselves even despite debilitating injures/conditions are not allowed to. So what is the problem? If everyone were freely allowed to kill themselves/allowed to die if they so chose what is the problem? They usually have a very good reason to so why not let them?

Old 07-17-2016, 04:48 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times
I can see wanting to die if you have a incurable disease, etc. But wanting to die because you believe that life is too hard is just insane. Even having a incurable disease shouldn't mean that you can pick up a gun and blow your head off though, or slit your wrist. I've always believed that one should have the right to die IF one want's too but only if there is no other choice. I don't think some doctor or said government should be able to tell you no if you want the right to die. This is a personal choice not up to someone else.

Old 07-17-2016, 05:30 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,449,141 times
Here in Canada, our national government recently passed into law a bill that does allow an adult ( over the age of 18 ) to make that choice. There are a number of clauses that have to be met, first.

Medical certainty that the person is terminally ill, has the mental capacity to make a rational decision, and that a Medical Doctor is willing to assist the patient in their quest to end their life. That is the concept and the reality here.

Link to the recently enacted legislation in Canada. It is a nation wide law. Here is a link to the news article published on its being passed into law.

link. Liberals' assisted-dying bill is now law after clearing final hurdles - Politics - CBC News

We see it as a basic human right, that shouldn't be interfered with by religionists, or busy bodies.

Jim B.

Old 07-17-2016, 06:41 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,825,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garchompa
I have always found it ridiculous that suicide is "illegal"......
Yes it seems like they are FORCING everyone to stay here....... In a place they might not wanna be!

Old 07-17-2016, 09:25 AM

531 posts, read 384,006 times
Suicide should be a non-issue. No one should have to suffer through life because ending it would make a few cry babies uncomfortable.

Old 07-17-2016, 11:28 AM

706 posts, read 756,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garchompa View Post
I have always found it ridiculous that suicide is "illegal" and people that wish to kill themselves even despite debilitating injures/conditions are not allowed to. So what is the problem? If everyone were freely allowed to kill themselves/allowed to die if they so chose what is the problem? They usually have a very good reason to so why not let them?
There is no problem; only people who think it's a problem. Nobody should be able to force you to stay here. As far as it being illegal, what would they do to a person about it--arrest them after they're dead? Lol. How ridiculous to even make it illegal.

Old 07-17-2016, 04:25 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,994,999 times
For individuals who are terminal or in severe physical pain due to a debilitating incurable condition, I think it should be a legal option.

Otherwise, I don't think it should be available to all, for a few reasons, including this one: https://www.buzzfeed.com/lizzwarner/...d41#.beoDG9Nw9

People under severe stress/duress often make rash decisions they wouldn't otherwise make. Giving them a pain free option to pop a pill wouldn't be a good idea.

Old 07-17-2016, 07:23 PM

545 posts, read 594,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I can see wanting to die if you have a incurable disease, etc. But wanting to die because you believe that life is too hard is just insane. Even having a incurable disease shouldn't mean that you can pick up a gun and blow your head off though, or slit your wrist. I've always believed that one should have the right to die IF one want's too but only if there is no other choice. I don't think some doctor or said government should be able to tell you no if you want the right to die. This is a personal choice not up to someone else.
We're all going to die anyways.....if someone wants to control the way they die through suicide, then that's their prerogative!

I can't figure out the people who want to maintain "eternal" life on this crappy planet!!!

Old 07-17-2016, 07:44 PM

706 posts, read 756,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
Otherwise, I don't think it should be available to all, for a few reasons, including this one: https://www.buzzfeed.com/lizzwarner/...d41#.beoDG9Nw9
Available to all? Death is always available to all of us, and is inevitable.

Quote:
People under severe stress/duress often make rash decisions they wouldn't otherwise make. Giving them a pain free option to pop a pill wouldn't be a good idea.
Well, this is true. Depression can be caused by something as simple as a nutritional deficiency, so all avenues should be considered before premature death. However, if a person is sufficient and awake and they have very good reasons for not wanting to be here then nobody should be able to stop them from leaving. The number of awake/aware depressed people is admittedly low, so counseling and other help should be pursued first by people before they consider leaving. You don't get any smarter when you die, so I'm of the belief that we should stick around until we learn what we need to learn--even though I support the freedom to die when we choose.

Old 07-17-2016, 07:51 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,825,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise of virtue
Suicide should be a non-issue. No one should have to suffer through life because ending it would make a few cry babies uncomfortable.
Couldnt agree more!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates