Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2024, 07:33 AM

1,852 posts, read 873,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Geeze, I glad none of you are my grandparents.

I smell a grandkid that has been spoiled with gifts on everyone's birthdays
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2024, 08:10 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,384,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Well, I'm against gift cards altogether. They imply laziness on your part, and it certainly ensures that they will never have any fond memory of your personal generosity.
OP, ignore this comment.

This commenter has this opinion about gift cards but it is not shared by everyone.

Old 04-04-2024, 05:42 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,655,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Flower View Post
I still remember the Christmas my father gave me $100. It was so fun shopping, buying anything I wanted.

I think you're being a little harsh on the OP.
Yes, and you know why you remember that $100? Because it was special!

When you have someone that just doles out cards or money, year after year, I suspect all it does in the end is promote greed. "Why didn't they give me more? Don't they know about inflation?" So the kid buys something, but do you think that a year later the kid remembers where the money came from? I doubt it. But I remember exactly who gave me the expensive piece of jewelry, the spellbinding book, the perfect sweater.

Old 04-04-2024, 11:00 PM

22,450 posts, read 11,977,478 times
Quote:
Well, I'm against gift cards altogether. They imply laziness on your part, and it certainly ensures that they will never have any fond memory of your personal generosity.
^^^^Yes, this comment is harsh and unwarranted.

Thank you to those of you who gave me support regarding this issue. I appreciate it.

Their Dad doesn't make much money plus soon the child support he gets for the twins from their mother will stop once they turn 18.

Giving the kids gift cards gives them a chance to buy items they want but can't get due to the money struggles. They appreciate getting gift cards. One of the twins asked me to go shopping with him when he got his gift card last year. We went to his favorite store and bought a shirt he liked.

His younger brother went to a store where they never shop due to the price of the clothing sold. He spent part of his money and bought a nice pair of shorts for himself.

The other twin is a big movie buff and collects DVDs. He generally buys them at a thrift shop. He used his card to buy more movies and some video games.

With gift cards, they can choose what they want (of course their Dad can veto a choice if he found it to be inappropriate). If I tried to figure out what movies the movie buff wanted to see, I could get it wrong. Either he has it already or it's a movie that doesn't interest him. If I tried to buy clothing for the other two, they may not like what I chose for them.

If I ever got a gift card as a kid (which never happened) I would have been thrilled to be able to pick out some things that I wanted.

Believe me --- Our grandsons do appreciate all we've done for them. Once, in the past, one of them said to us "Grandma and Grandpa, thank you". I said "for what?" He said, "For all you've done to help us."

Old 04-05-2024, 08:02 AM

24,480 posts, read 10,815,620 times
Quote:

When you have someone that just doles out cards or money, year after year, I suspect all it does in the end is promote greed. "Why didn't they give me more? Don't they know about inflation?" So the kid buys something, but do you think that a year later the kid remembers where the money came from? I doubt it. But I remember exactly who gave me the expensive piece of jewelry, the spellbinding book, the perfect sweater.
Maybe your memory is not that of a teenager graduating HS this year.

Old 04-05-2024, 10:12 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,127,317 times
Quote:

You've contradicted yourself, is cash special or not? Why would it be somehow different than a gift card since you use it exactly the same way?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents